U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 06:36 AM

2,076 posts, read 2,539,869 times

Advertisements

Three hours? That's pretty damn close!

I've moved for a job 2500 miles away to a state I've never been to, let alone the city.
I also went to a college 2000 miles away from home, and the first time I entered that state was for my orientation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 06:38 AM

4,113 posts, read 2,864,188 times
Personally, I would check out the area first, in person and then online. Three hours isn't that big of a deal, just jump in the car after work and go. At least you can get a first impression, then research more on this site and others.

Since it's a big company, is it worth it to get your foot in the door, no matter where the first job is? Possible future promotions and relocations?

Old 06-18-2019, 06:43 AM

964 posts, read 566,166 times
Yup, did it pretty much with my current employer, and I'll be doing that with my soon-to-be next employer too.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 AM

24,425 posts, read 18,186,065 times
I moved sight unseen from Tennessee to Iowa. I moved back, but it had nothing to do with the city itself.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:50 AM

5,179 posts, read 5,534,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metty85 View Post
I had been in the running for a job but didn't get it. Instead, I was offered another job by same company. Things moved quicker than I expeected. It's a pretty big company with a footprint all over the country.

It would involve relocating 3 hours away to a city I've never stepped foot into before. Not to mention, my interviews for this position were all over the phone/web cam, so I've never even been inside the company's office in that town. Checking out the city/possible apartments is most important.

They would like an answer to their offer by this Friday. The problem is I currently work M-F and it's hard to get time off with less than two weeks notice. On top of that, I have family coming in from halfway across the country this weekend, so that's out.

I could scope out the area and maybe look at places to live the last weekend of June. The problem is, that's obviously past the deadline of this Friday.

Not to mention, I think it would be in very poor taste on my part to just up and leave my current job with zero notice. I don't want to burn any bridges. I've always given two weeks notice to my employers the few times I've changed jobs.

I don't want to come off as flakey. Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Would you relocate for a job and NOT check out the area first.

For what it's worth, the company did offer a few thousand in relocation expenses.
The city is just three hours away. I would expect that you're at least familiar with the city even though you haven't actually visited it. If so, I see no problem with you being able to move there without having visited.

An option is to accept the job offer on Friday, and ask for a start date of 3-4 weeks out (since you'll have to give notice and relocate) and then visit the city as soon as you can. Can't go this weekend? Go next weekend. But before Friday and accepting the offer, do as much research as you can online - which neighborhood to live in, the cost of living, etc.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:13 AM

15 posts, read 4,538 times
I do not think it is that big a deal to move some where you have not visited before. I think you can make an informed decision based upon information obtained off the internet. What more do you need to know as long as the city has a gas station, grocery store, and apartments for rent? If the basics are covered, go for it. You can figure the rest out later.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:22 AM

24,425 posts, read 18,186,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
The city is just three hours away. I would expect that you're at least familiar with the city even though you haven't actually visited it. If so, I see no problem with you being able to move there without having visited.

An option is to accept the job offer on Friday, and ask for a start date of 3-4 weeks out (since you'll have to give notice and relocate) and then visit the city as soon as you can. Can't go this weekend? Go next weekend. But before Friday and accepting the offer, do as much research as you can online - which neighborhood to live in, the cost of living, etc.
Three hours is totally different map. That's a weekend trip, and you should be able to at least get some preliminary stuff together.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:13 AM

1,244 posts, read 386,048 times
I am more worried that you didn't meet your new employers in person than moving to a new city.

Does this job or company has high turnover? If they are investing in an employee and you are investing your time with an employer, both parties should meet face to face.

You can accept the job on Friday and not give notice. Visit the city this weekend. Decide over the weekend.

People do accept jobs only to change their mind within a few days.

P.S. I saw that you have family coming over the weekend. People use extended day hotels for this. Its pricey but it works.

As for three hours, it's two hours from Philadelphia to NYC. Its a huge move! Maybe not such a big change in the midwest, but big on the east coast.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:30 AM

1,362 posts, read 876,203 times
How much can it really change from your current location to the new one in only 3 hours? I guess it depends on how different it is from the current location. I mean its one thing to move from Southern Cali to Sheboygan. But if you're talking about something like Cleveland to Cincinnati I wouldn't have a problem with moving site unseen. Either way I would still prefer a little time to make the move and not be extremely rushed.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:49 AM

9,570 posts, read 8,548,032 times
There is a lot you can find out online.

Is it a decent city?

Then yes I would take the job.

Podunk USA? No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment