U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 11:53 PM

23 posts, read 12,612 times

Advertisements

I had been in the running for a job but didn't get it. Instead, I was offered another job by same company. Things moved quicker than I expeected. It's a pretty big company with a footprint all over the country.

It would involve relocating 3 hours away to a city I've never stepped foot into before. Not to mention, my interviews for this position were all over the phone/web cam, so I've never even been inside the company's office in that town. Checking out the city/possible apartments is most important.

They would like an answer to their offer by this Friday. The problem is I currently work M-F and it's hard to get time off with less than two weeks notice. On top of that, I have family coming in from halfway across the country this weekend, so that's out.

I could scope out the area and maybe look at places to live the last weekend of June. The problem is, that's obviously past the deadline of this Friday.

Not to mention, I think it would be in very poor taste on my part to just up and leave my current job with zero notice. I don't want to burn any bridges. I've always given two weeks notice to my employers the few times I've changed jobs.

I don't want to come off as flakey. Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Would you relocate for a job and NOT check out the area first.

For what it's worth, the company did offer a few thousand in relocation expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 02:13 AM

7,856 posts, read 3,316,310 times
To answer the question about moving to a place sight unseen, yes I've done it quite a few times, and most of it happened before the web even existed. It can be done. However, as soon as I knew there was a possibility of a job there I started researching the place. I had some idea what the basics might be before the job offer came up. Negotiate for a little more time and get on the web now. Ask the company for assistance. This isn't the first time this has happened. Could you request a co-worker contact at the new office to ask some basic questions about the area? You won't get all the information you probably would like, but it might be enough. There are places to live everywhere. There won't be any perfect place, perfect office situation, perfect job.

If you do get the offer, just give the notice you can...explain the short notice to your boss. If its the same company it may not be all that much of a surprise.

If you are not ready, comfortable, or flexible enough to pull up stakes and deal with a new location on short notice, don't.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-18-2019 at 02:25 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 05:25 AM

733 posts, read 285,422 times
I did it back in 2012 although under slightly different circumstances. I needed a new job ASAP and landed an offer 1200 miles away in a metro I had never visited before. I took the plunge and it turned out great - I really enjoyed the area and the job, but I realize I got lucky.

OP, if this is a job you actually really want, do some research NOW on the new area, so you can make an informed decision by Friday.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:33 AM

442 posts, read 246,140 times
CD has threads for each state. If you live in the US, those threads may help you -- especially if the city you want more information about is listed as a sub topic.

And I know this may sound silly but Google the address of your perspective employer and then use Google maps to virtually navigate your way around the area. And look for apartment buildings that fit your criteria and do the same. It won't feel the same way as actually being there but it will give you an idea of what the area and surrounding areas look like.

Good luck!

Old 06-18-2019, 05:44 AM

574 posts, read 661,682 times
Go to Youtube and watch videos on the city.

Old 06-18-2019, 05:48 AM

2,518 posts, read 992,176 times
Nowadays it's easy to get a feel on any city through the Internet and videos. I would not hesitate making a move using the above mentioned tools at my disposal.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:02 AM

4,206 posts, read 3,075,813 times
Yeah, I've moved having either seen nothing or limited to one short visit. With the internet you can watch videos, get people's input, etc. etc.

Do NOT worry about giving notice. In the end, that same company would not think twice about laying you off on Christmas week without notice if it saved them a few bucks.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:10 AM

6,592 posts, read 3,692,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAmVA View Post
CD has threads for each state. If you live in the US, those threads may help you -- especially if the city you want more information about is listed as a sub topic.

And I know this may sound silly but Google the address of your perspective employer and then use Google maps to virtually navigate your way around the area. And look for apartment buildings that fit your criteria and do the same. It won't feel the same way as actually being there but it will give you an idea of what the area and surrounding areas look like.

Good luck!
Excellent idea.

Also, if itís 3 hours away thatís doable for an evening/night drive to at least get some idea. Leave work at 5, drive around the city from 8-9 when itís still a bit light out and get home by midnight.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:11 AM

6,592 posts, read 3,692,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metty85 View Post
I had been in the running for a job but didn't get it. Instead, I was offered another job by same company. Things moved quicker than I expeected. It's a pretty big company with a footprint all over the country.

It would involve relocating 3 hours away to a city I've never stepped foot into before. Not to mention, my interviews for this position were all over the phone/web cam, so I've never even been inside the company's office in that town. Checking out the city/possible apartments is most important.

They would like an answer to their offer by this Friday. The problem is I currently work M-F and it's hard to get time off with less than two weeks notice. On top of that, I have family coming in from halfway across the country this weekend, so that's out.

I could scope out the area and maybe look at places to live the last weekend of June. The problem is, that's obviously past the deadline of this Friday.

Not to mention, I think it would be in very poor taste on my part to just up and leave my current job with zero notice. I don't want to burn any bridges. I've always given two weeks notice to my employers the few times I've changed jobs.

I don't want to come off as flakey. Am I thinking about this the wrong way? Would you relocate for a job and NOT check out the area first.

For what it's worth, the company did offer a few thousand in relocation expenses.
I think you could ask for an extra week due to it being a new job opportunity. As to family, maybe include them in a day trip on Sunday?

Old 06-18-2019, 06:26 AM

29,112 posts, read 63,309,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metty85 View Post
I had been in the running for a job but didn't get it. Instead, I was offered another job by same company.
Things moved quicker than I expected. It's a pretty big company with a footprint all over the country.
That's called a bait & switch. It happens.

Quote:
It would involve relocating 3 hours away to a city I've never stepped foot into before.
...the company did offer a few thousand in relocation expenses.
Is it a better job market than where you are now?
Is it an appealing place (vs being some wide spot in the road backwater)?
If you can't answer yes to BOTH of these questions... keep looking.

But if you CAN answer yes... start packing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment