U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 10:15 AM

43,180 posts, read 41,773,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I don't have the trip planned yet, that's the thing, could be August, could be September.. it's up to when my brother feels comfortable having us over..
Then just let them know you had tentative plans to visit your new nephew/niece in the fall. It's not too much to ask for one day several months after your hire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 10:17 AM

21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Who says it's bad to take time off after starting a new job? You just need to communicate with them and let them know you've got some planned travel.

At my current job, I took a week+ off less than 2 months after I started, for a cruise that had been booked months earlier. I didn't expect to get paid of course, but they completely understood that I had an ongoing life before I took the job.

As far as I'm concerned, a workplace that couldn't accommodate this type of thing wouldn't be one I'd want to work at anyway. So if I said I would need this time and they said no, it would be an easy decision to pass on the offer.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:10 AM

1,401 posts, read 768,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Who says it's bad to take time off after starting a new job? You just need to communicate with them and let them know you've got some planned travel.

At my current job, I took a week+ off less than 2 months after I started, for a cruise that had been booked months earlier. I didn't expect to get paid of course, but they completely understood that I had an ongoing life before I took the job.

As far as I'm concerned, a workplace that couldn't accommodate this type of thing wouldn't be one I'd want to work at anyway. So if I said I would need this time and they said no, it would be an easy decision to pass on the offer.

because i don't have anything booked. of course if you have a vacation booked, that makes sense, most trips/flights/cruises are non refundable. but if i don't have anything booked, i wouldn't lose anything by not going. just trying to explain the way i'm thinking... that a company may frown upon me taking time off if i don't have anything planned/booked and may think i have nothing to lose by not going.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:37 AM

21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times
Quote:
because i don't have anything booked. of course if you have a vacation booked, that makes sense, most trips/flights/cruises are non refundable. but if i don't have anything booked, i wouldn't lose anything by not going. just trying to explain the way i'm thinking... that a company may frown upon me taking time off if i don't have anything planned/booked and may think i have nothing to lose by not going.
I would just phrase it as something like "My travel dates are flexible, but I will need to take a couple of days in August or September to go meet my new niece." I don't think there is anything wrong with approaching it on a human level like that and same basic principal applies - that a company that doesn't understand taking a couple of days here and there for something like that, even shortly after you start, would not be a good long term employer.

But first you can wait to see what they say about how vacation accrual works anyway. It's possible that it's no big deal to put in for a day off, or even two, after just a couple of months, and you'd just go through the normal process for something like this, since it's such a short amount of time involved. Same thing for any time off you wanted to take to be with your boyfriend's family. It's unlikely a day here and there would be that big a deal,

Old 06-18-2019, 12:01 PM

2,292 posts, read 2,677,094 times
Quote:
When/if you talk to the potential new employer, maybe you can frame your needing to take time off, but not being sure of exactly when, as if you want to work around their schedule and what would be a convenient time for them to have you take the time off to meet your new nephew, have your nasal surgery (especially since you said that can wait) and your other procedure.

If you tell them up front that you will need time off for these things, but are more than willing to also work around times that would not be such an inconvenience for them, I think that might come across as very positive.

Just a thought. Hope that helps you.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:49 PM

17,252 posts, read 10,176,823 times
You haven't even applied yet, just a recruiter contacted you.

If you at least interview, THEN you can go over the what ifs.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
You haven't even applied yet, just a recruiter contacted you.

If you at least interview, THEN you can go over the what ifs.

Yeah of course.. just trying to think in advance to be prepared.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I would just phrase it as something like "My travel dates are flexible, but I will need to take a couple of days in August or September to go meet my new niece." I don't think there is anything wrong with approaching it on a human level like that and same basic principal applies - that a company that doesn't understand taking a couple of days here and there for something like that, even shortly after you start, would not be a good long term employer.

But first you can wait to see what they say about how vacation accrual works anyway. It's possible that it's no big deal to put in for a day off, or even two, after just a couple of months, and you'd just go through the normal process for something like this, since it's such a short amount of time involved. Same thing for any time off you wanted to take to be with your boyfriend's family. It's unlikely a day here and there would be that big a deal,

Yeah I think that sounds good too. I feel a bit better,, i don't know why i have it in my head that's it's so like strict and rigid when you start a new job lol. I guess I feel like I need to be a certain way when starting out to prove myself.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:51 PM

99 posts, read 61,005 times
I have found in my life that the timing is rarely perfect for any big change. If you are an accountant/CPA, I would think the position is one where this should not be a huge deal as long as you give them a heads up about your travel commitment (as others have suggested) after you get into the interview process. I did that for a prior job without any problems, and this was as a young attorney at a big law firm where the culture was not exactly welcoming to taking a ton of time off. I do also understand wanting to perform at a high level in the beginning, but don't think this one thing that you plan to tell them about in advance should prevent you from doing well.

As for the other stuff, it does sound like maybe you are trying to talk yourself out of this a bit. If it were me I would get more information from the recruiter and see how things progress before counting myself out on a promising opportunity. If you do get the job, you'd want to make sure you are in a position to make a good first impression, but none of the problems that you described seem insurmountable?

Old 06-18-2019, 05:14 PM

793 posts, read 210,796 times
Employers don't expect you to put your life on hold and if they value your skills will try their best to accommodate your requests for time off so long as they don't present timing conflicts at critical times for a CPA. The question is what you can realistically handle especially if you grown comfortable where you are at and can come back to work in a relaxed state after time away. Depending upon the company there can be real culture shock in making the transition so you may feel less comfortable with being away from the job until you get your feet wet.
A few days there and there shouldn't be a problem but it might be tough having a medical procedure in the midst of adapting to a new job if you have an anxious temperment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or