U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-19-2019, 10:48 AM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,561 posts, read 3,001,676 times
Reputation: 12765

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I see tons of direct hire jobs.
You've well established that none of the problems of employees and the job market exist on your planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-19-2019, 12:33 PM
 
1,604 posts, read 1,119,191 times
Reputation: 2414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That was my idea. When you filter contact jobs out on Indeed, they're often roughly 20% of total IT jobs available.
You're just filtering on the word "contract"? That doesn't tell us anything. Many of the listings I see say "Person needed for six months with possibility of extension." They don't use the word "contract," but that's what it means. You don't do that with permanent employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 01:24 PM
 
11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Reputation: 28059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You've well established that none of the problems of employees and the job market exist on your planet.
No. I just read indeed dot com and keep a positive attitude. As long as the jobs exist, there is hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 02:37 PM
 
1,541 posts, read 399,025 times
Reputation: 2882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've been casually looking for stuff in larger metros in the South. I applied for a couple positions in Charlotte, and just got a message back from a recruiter who was reaching out to me on a role she thought I might be interested.

Apparently it was an "indefinite contract" where the guy in the role has been there for three years and they expect at least two more years of work.

I told the recruiter that I am a direct employee and will not accept contract work - she emailed me back saying that the bulk of IT opportunities in Charlotte are contract to hire.

I don't really believe that, but what are your thoughts? Even senior level IT roles are often contract with no benefits. How would you say the FTE/contract mix is in IT in your local area?
A realtor takes you in their car to show you a house. "This is the only one available in your price range".

You think that's the truth? Of course not.

If they are placing people for contract work and that's the best thing for their business, that's what they are going to tell you.

You need to do your own homework there, don't rely on what headhunters and recruiters tell you.

Find out those companies you want to work at that are in the geographic area you are interested in. Then go to each of their career portals and sign up for job alerts. If they don't have them, visit them often to see what is available and the requirements for the jobs.

If you aren't comfortable with a contract job, then don't take them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 02:44 PM
 
3,247 posts, read 842,766 times
Reputation: 3758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I've been casually looking for stuff in larger metros in the South. I applied for a couple positions in Charlotte, and just got a message back from a recruiter who was reaching out to me on a role she thought I might be interested.

Apparently it was an "indefinite contract" where the guy in the role has been there for three years and they expect at least two more years of work.

I told the recruiter that I am a direct employee and will not accept contract work - she emailed me back saying that the bulk of IT opportunities in Charlotte are contract to hire.

I don't really believe that, but what are your thoughts? Even senior level IT roles are often contract with no benefits. How would you say the FTE/contract mix is in IT in your local area?
Recruiters, while helping candidates cast themselves in a favorable light, and "fast-tracking" them to a job, do present a lot of contract opportunities in their dealings with talent.

If you wish to weed out contracts, and the recruiter seems to only push them more, apply directly at employers' websites. If you've narrowed it down to 1-3 major cities, it may be worth your while getting a virtual address to make yourself a "local" candidate and jump through that hoop. Could be worth it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 03:21 PM
 
1,541 posts, read 399,025 times
Reputation: 2882
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Five years on contract?!?!


It's reasonable to do six months. But five years? They'd need to really amp up the base rate to compensate me for all the benefits I'd be missing out on.
I've know people working as a W2 contractor with a very high hourly rate. They were getting paid much more than if they took a direct job there and this more than made up for any benefits. For very large companies the budget of contracting comes out of a different expensive for the company that what is allocated for salaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 03:24 PM
 
85 posts, read 61,552 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Five years on contract?!?!


It's reasonable to do six months. But five years? They'd need to really amp up the base rate to compensate me for all the benefits I'd be missing out on.
I know of at least one person that has been on contract at the same company for over ten years.

If I am lying, I'm dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 03:30 PM
 
1,853 posts, read 713,275 times
Reputation: 3960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Big tech companies complain that they can't find enough skilled workers in the U.S., but then they treat employees like this. What's the long-term strategy? I wonder if workers are getting out of IT. Is there a next generation coming up? Would you encourage your kid to study IT in college given that there's a 5% chance that they will be a genius hired at Facebook for huge amounts of money vs. a 95% chance of them being an average code monkey juggling a series of short-term contracts with no benefits for their entire working life? I sure am glad I got into IT early and retirement is imminent.
I would never encourage younger people to go into IT in this day and age. This field had its heyday but now... IT remains an exciting field with continual advancement and refinements, but it is not taking care of and is leaving its workforce behind. A lot of it is an aggressive fixation on the need to save on labor costs.

From respected, highly paid, albeit overworked IT workers of the 1980s, to today, the fate of the IT workers looks quite bleak today with less respect, less pay, less stability, more age discrimination, greater interchangeability, less benefits, more outsourcing, and more temping and gig work.

No thanks. I have retired out of this waning career (for good employment opportunities). If I suddenly found myself 18 years old today, I would definitely choose a different career, although this degradation can be found in other industries as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 07:01 PM
 
653 posts, read 308,337 times
Reputation: 1225
The place I work supplements with contractors - some of whom stay as long as 15 years.

They are employees of the employment companies we use to augment staff. The better contract companies do offer their employees some benefits like insurance and paid time off, so it is not quite as bad as you might think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 PM
 
3,247 posts, read 842,766 times
Reputation: 3758
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
The place I work supplements with contractors - some of whom stay as long as 15 years.

They are employees of the employment companies we use to augment staff. The better contract companies do offer their employees some benefits like insurance and paid time off, so it is not quite as bad as you might think.
This may be a way of life for many who are, say, government contractors. But I wouldn't be so quick to say "it's not that bad" to be a contractor - the company specified contractors for a reason, instead of hiring FTE. That should say something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top