U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 09:22 AM

1,244 posts, read 820,042 times

Advertisements

I work in a small office of 9 people. I'm in my early 30's yet every other person I work with in my office is old enough to be my parent. I think the youngest person I work with is 51. It doesn't really bother me because I get along great with everyone but sometimes it would be nice to have someone close to my age. When I was hired 2 years ago I was hired with another guy who was 1 week younger than me but he only lasted about 9 months. Him and I got along great, use to chat on breaks, go to lunch together, etc. I just find it hard to relate on certain things with the people I work with. Anybody else in the same situation as me?

Old 06-18-2019, 09:46 AM

8,576 posts, read 3,001,676 times
It must be hell. Thoughts and prayers.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:22 PM

2,052 posts, read 594,159 times
It's hard. Thankfully I don't have to work with this person in-person (they are in a different city).

She is older than my Mother actually. She can keep up with technology but her communication style is very dated and overly formal a lot of times.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:25 PM

2,275 posts, read 1,150,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
I work in a small office of 9 people. I'm in my early 30's yet every other person I work with in my office is old enough to be my parent. I think the youngest person I work with is 51. It doesn't really bother me because I get along great with everyone but sometimes it would be nice to have someone close to my age. When I was hired 2 years ago I was hired with another guy who was 1 week younger than me but he only lasted about 9 months. Him and I got along great, use to chat on breaks, go to lunch together, etc. I just find it hard to relate on certain things with the people I work with. Anybody else in the same situation as me?

Are you sure?

Old 06-18-2019, 01:27 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,434,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
It's hard. Thankfully I don't have to work with this person in-person (they are in a different city).

She is older than my Mother actually. She can keep up with technology but her communication style is very dated and overly formal a lot of times.
Do you mean she communicates in complete sentences using grown-up words, correct spelling, and proper grammar?

That must be a nightmare.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:31 PM

35,131 posts, read 32,118,924 times
I'm in IT and there are people way older than me and way younger than me. Too much emphasis put on what they think older folks don't know. A smart person of any age picks it up just like a less tech savvy person of any age won't.

Older folks won't be into the stupid online social media stuff as much but I know a lot of older folks that are into gaming. Some of the younger set you'd swear they were still in HS except they have a 4 year degree.

I've found that social interests aren't really divided by age but by interests. I like to hunt so I get along better with people that are like minded. Their age doesn't matter.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:02 PM

1,183 posts, read 759,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Do you mean she communicates in complete sentences using grown-up words, correct spelling, and proper grammar?

That must be a nightmare.
probably omits "like" in her all her sentences. like you know, like, what i mean?

Old 06-18-2019, 03:19 PM

40,196 posts, read 15,171,485 times
This thread is a perfect example of why these sorts of threads are not allowed. Age-bashing or bashing of any group of people is just wrong. Thread closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or