U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 04:32 PM

9,220 posts, read 8,306,163 times

Advertisements

Send your boss an email and ask for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 06:12 PM

12,923 posts, read 8,751,901 times
In the past I've had bosses that say crap like "oh, I almost replied to your request that you can't take that day because we have some important things coming up that week and we can't delay."

The trick is to time the PTO request at certain times just before you or the boss leaves for the day.

The boss usually would need to talk about it or have a reason to deny and best to do it before a meetings so the boss don't have time to respond.

Usually before I take the PTO the boss had very little time to deny as it has been on the calendar already for a certain time.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:19 PM

18,357 posts, read 23,531,925 times
Never heard of pto

But I havenít taken a sick day off in 8 yrs

I pride myself in perfect attendance

Old 06-18-2019, 09:01 PM

356 posts, read 109,519 times
Choose your PTO at timesour boss:
"I'd like to take some time off but I can take it when you think is best. What would be a good time for me to take [x] days off?"

That's ONLY IF you feel the need to be that timid. Otherwise just put in for the days and don't worry about it! I do think it's advisable to NOT take them at your busiest time of year! Otherwise, just put in for them any time!

Old 06-18-2019, 09:18 PM

8,980 posts, read 8,410,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
In the past I've had bosses that say crap like "oh, I almost replied to your request that you can't take that day because we have some important things coming up that week and we can't delay."

The trick is to time the PTO request at certain times just before you or the boss leaves for the day.

The boss usually would need to talk about it or have a reason to deny and best to do it before a meetings so the boss don't have time to respond.

Usually before I take the PTO the boss had very little time to deny as it has been on the calendar already for a certain time.
I object to tricks and playing games. Employees who try to manipulate me are the reason to set rules preventing this type of thing.

I have all of my reports submit all of their leave requests via email, and I tell them that they need to give me a 2 business day notice. Anything less than that and they should assume the day is denied if I do not respond to them in time.

This gives me a chance to review other people's leave and make informed decisions. I very rarely deny leave, and prefer to grant everything asked, but the purposeful last minute requests are silly.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:59 AM

4,079 posts, read 2,947,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Never heard of pto

But I havenít taken a sick day off in 8 yrs

I pride myself in perfect attendance
Paid Time Off. It's vacation time and sick time bundled together. But thank for letting us know about your perfect attendance, that's special!

Old 06-19-2019, 06:12 AM

941 posts, read 258,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Paid Time Off. It's vacation time and sick time bundled together. But thank for letting us know about your perfect attendance, that's special!
At some companies, it's just a different way of saying "personal leave" or "vacation days" or "annual leave" or whatever-- I've worked at places where I had sick leave, and then I had PTO. (I've never worked in a place that didn't separate the two.)

Old 06-19-2019, 06:42 AM

2,796 posts, read 885,444 times
We accumulate two kinds of days off at my job. PTO (paid time off) and Holiday Time. (If we work on a holiday, we get that day as an extra day.)

The company expects us to use both of them and will actually remind us if we are accumulating too many hours in either category.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:12 AM

325 posts, read 395,363 times
You'll be fine. If you're particularly worried about causing burdens to your boss and/or co-workers, then plan your PTOs earlier and submit your request in advance. That way, everyone else can adjust their work schedules to cover for you. It's really not that big of a deal in a normal office.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 AM

6,584 posts, read 2,376,729 times
The sooner you ask for it, the less peeved anyone will be, that you're taking a day that you've earned.

People don't like it when you take a day off at the last minute, and everyone has to scramble to cover for you. That said, it happens often enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or