U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2019, 09:56 AM

726 posts, read 550,816 times

Advertisements

OP this is your 4th thread!? holey moley, start looking for a new job, that's your only solution.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 10:11 AM

4,003 posts, read 2,602,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
OP this is your 4th thread!? holey moley, start looking for a new job, that's your only solution.
Except that it wouldn't surprise me if OP has the same complaints in a new job. I think the OP has some unrealistic expectations about work.

OP stick it out at least for a while, I would not have a gap on my resume at this point.

I also think you may have missed an opportunity with the mass email. Since you're still new, it might have been a good idea to do something extra which may not be technically in your job description. You never want to recommend a course of action that makes more work for your boss, that is not a way to get promoted. It's also way too soon to be worrying about being promoted.

As others have said, companies go through phases and benefits change. If you think things will be different at another company you are mistaken.

Finally, there will always be office gossip and politics. Be cordial and polite to everyone and stay out of it.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:24 PM

9,353 posts, read 6,249,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
I started a position six months ago and it is great on paper. I make a damn good salary, I only work a max 40 hours a week, some people work less. My superiors don't micromanage, and my responsibilities can be challenging but not overwhelming. Plus the commute is 20 minutes, and it's in my field.

Now for the bad:

There is so much tribal knowledge, I am still asking questions six months into the role, and don't feel completely confident with some things.

There isn't a ton of advancement opportunity.

I have basically one position I could be promoted to, and not a whole lot of interesting lateral options either.

Marketing (I'm not in marketing) is heavily favored and makes more money than everyone else.

The worst of all? The people in my department. I have heard them openly bash each other, and they more than likely bash me, despite me keeping my head low and just trying to do the best job I can. It's so ridiculous. I hear them talking really low, gossiping, talking trash. One girl tried talking about another girl to me, and I didn't really entertain it. Then they all act like friends to their face.

It is so annoying. I also believe I am shunned. Six months in, and I am still left out of all their plans, lunches, etc despite trying to be outgoing. I sit in my cube for lunch while others all go out.

Then there are little things hear and there that discourage me. Each person handles a certain set of accounts. Someone emailed me asking if I could reach out and email all the accounts in my department regarding something (outside the company) . I didn't think it was my job to do that for other people's accounts, so I told my boss that I told the company to reach out to him and he could let the department know. That way, each person could email their own accounts.

I got this speil about how "he wasn't needed for that" and I was encouraged to "take the lead" on things and not stay in my own set of accounts. I still can't tell if it was a lecture or some criticism, but it really discouraged me.

Not to mention all the things I was told about development opportunities has been cut. I was supposed to get company paid training for my job/career. Nope, can't budget anymore. I was supposed to get classroom training about strategic processes and problem solving to use in my role. Nope, its an online class now that takes 4 hours to complete as opposed to the three day class. I was supposed to go to California to meet with important people I deal with every day in my role, see their operation, and look to improve. Nooope. My development sure feels stifled.

I kinda want to leave but I have to work there at least another year and a half for experience.

Kinda sounds like ANY job experience

Old 06-19-2019, 04:30 PM

78,560 posts, read 70,455,727 times
Quote:
What should I expect then?
Finish learning your job, first. You said you still have a lot of questions to ask. YOu're still in the learning curve phase. Maybe once you get the details down, you'll feel more comfortable in it. It's too bad that your co-workers are gossipy, but focus on the work you're doing.It's your first job; focus on doing the best job you can at it, so you'll get a good review when you do decide to move on. You haven't even completed your probationary period just yet.

Get back to us after you've had your first performance evaluation. Depending on how it goes, we can advise you at that point.

BTW, what do you mean by "there's so much tribal knowledge"? Was that a typo? Did you mean "trivial"? Or are you working for a tribe?

Old 06-19-2019, 04:53 PM

6,261 posts, read 3,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
BTW, what do you mean by "there's so much tribal knowledge"? Was that a typo? Did you mean "trivial"? Or are you working for a tribe?
Tribal knowledge means knowledge locked in people’s heads and not written down.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:46 PM

4,487 posts, read 2,876,916 times
It's more acceptable to see "job hopping" in younger candidates sicne they're not as good about filtering out for more suitable positions and such.

However, it does seem there are some mismatched expectations.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:06 PM

2,719 posts, read 4,399,678 times
Quote:
I started a position six months ago and it is great on paper. I make a damn good salary, I only work a max 40 hours a week, some people work less. My superiors don't micromanage, and my responsibilities can be challenging but not overwhelming. Plus the commute is 20 minutes, and it's in my field.
Focus on these. Six month is not really long enough to make a trend of what you are seeing. I would stick it out. In my company, before the six month evaluation, new hires won't even get training opportunity. Forget about travel unless they are already established professional and you just got out of college.

Best

Old 06-19-2019, 07:08 PM

57 posts, read 16,328 times
Quote:
The worst of all? The people in my department. I have heard them openly bash each other, and they more than likely bash me, despite me keeping my head low and just trying to do the best job I can. It's so ridiculous. I hear them talking really low, gossiping, talking trash. One girl tried talking about another girl to me, and I didn't really entertain it. Then they all act like friends to their face.
Oh gee, I've encountered plenty of that at every office job I've had. Do gossip-free offices even exist?

Just focus on doing an excellent job and try to ignore the junior high level behavior.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:18 PM

706 posts, read 434,155 times
The first job I had at my present employer was in customer service ("on the phones"). I was an at an entry level job grade and after one year was given the opportunity to accept a promotion to the next grade level. Doing so would lock me in to that job for 12 months. Many people I worked with didn't accept the promotion so that they could apply for other jobs in the company. I chose the promotion. I felt like I still had more to learn in my current position and wanted to master it before moving on.

Sadly, I don't see that behavior in Gen Y. In fact, a young woman in my department just took a job in another department, two years after coming to our department. The job before our department? You guessed it. She was there 2 years as well. Personally, I don't see the point in jumping around like this, always looking for bigger and better things when you haven't even mastered your current responsibilities. But I suppose it's a generational thing. I graduated college in 1996.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:44 AM

7,088 posts, read 2,905,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
You're six months out of college and are already looking towards advancement opportunities? Looking to travel and meet important clients? Not part of the click?

I don't know, I see this as a mix of immaturity, inflated expectations and good ol' fashioned dose of real world reality. What do you think?
Have to agree with this. OP six months is long enough for the bloom and excitement of the new job to wear off, the learning curve to start flattening out, and for you to start seeing the day to day working world. Professional workday heaven isn't showing up as desired or daydreamed about. It is sort of a let down. Six months is NOT long enough to give up just because you are not getting everything you want. Welcome to a career.

The key is to learn how to look farther out. Realize that just about any job is going to be a stepping stone to something better if you keep your head on straight about it. Look at it as a phase, paying dues, an investment, a ladder rung, a proving ground for becoming a more savvy employee. There will hardly ever be a perfect job/office situation/boss/coworker/workload. You are getting something out of this even if you don't see it. You are learning what NOT to waste energy on, how NOT to treat others, how NOT to lead, or to follow. People who learn what they can, dismiss the minor irritations and keep their eye on what is more important will get past it. Those who decide they can't handle these day to day annoyances are not going to get very far; and they will blame it on everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or