U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2019, 07:06 PM

41 posts, read 11,733 times

Advertisements

I started a position six months ago and it is great on paper. I make a damn good salary, I only work a max 40 hours a week, some people work less. My superiors don't micromanage, and my responsibilities can be challenging but not overwhelming. Plus the commute is 20 minutes, and it's in my field.

Now for the bad:

There is so much tribal knowledge, I am still asking questions six months into the role, and don't feel completely confident with some things.

There isn't a ton of advancement opportunity.

I have basically one position I could be promoted to, and not a whole lot of interesting lateral options either.

Marketing (I'm not in marketing) is heavily favored and makes more money than everyone else.

The worst of all? The people in my department. I have heard them openly bash each other, and they more than likely bash me, despite me keeping my head low and just trying to do the best job I can. It's so ridiculous. I hear them talking really low, gossiping, talking trash. One girl tried talking about another girl to me, and I didn't really entertain it. Then they all act like friends to their face.

It is so annoying. I also believe I am shunned. Six months in, and I am still left out of all their plans, lunches, etc despite trying to be outgoing. I sit in my cube for lunch while others all go out.

Then there are little things hear and there that discourage me. Each person handles a certain set of accounts. Someone emailed me asking if I could reach out and email all the accounts in my department regarding something (outside the company) . I didn't think it was my job to do that for other people's accounts, so I told my boss that I told the company to reach out to him and he could let the department know. That way, each person could email their own accounts.

I got this speil about how "he wasn't needed for that" and I was encouraged to "take the lead" on things and not stay in my own set of accounts. I still can't tell if it was a lecture or some criticism, but it really discouraged me.

Not to mention all the things I was told about development opportunities has been cut. I was supposed to get company paid training for my job/career. Nope, can't budget anymore. I was supposed to get classroom training about strategic processes and problem solving to use in my role. Nope, its an online class now that takes 4 hours to complete as opposed to the three day class. I was supposed to go to California to meet with important people I deal with every day in my role, see their operation, and look to improve. Nooope. My development sure feels stifled.

I kinda want to leave but I have to work there at least another year and a half for experience.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 08:17 PM

2,111 posts, read 2,087,563 times
Stay or go, don't torture yourself. You say you have to stay another 1.5 years for the experience. Do you really have to? Could you move to another company and get the same experience? If you haven't been hopping around, moving now after acknowledging a bad fit shouldn't have that big a negative impact. But the next job, you'll have to stay a while.

Try to figure out what you want and make a decision. You'll feel better once you've decided.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
Stay or go, don't torture yourself. You say you have to stay another 1.5 years for the experience. Do you really have to? Could you move to another company and get the same experience? If you haven't been hopping around, moving now after acknowledging a bad fit shouldn't have that big a negative impact. But the next job, you'll have to stay a while.

Try to figure out what you want and make a decision. You'll feel better once you've decided.
Thatís what I was afraid of. I had three internships in college, and thia is my first job post grad (graduated December 2018).

If I started looking elsewhere, I canít list this job on my resume...it creates a gap.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:05 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
1,467 posts, read 1,131,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
I started a position six months ago and it is great on paper. I make a damn good salary, I only work a max 40 hours a week, some people work less. My superiors don't micromanage, and my responsibilities can be challenging but not overwhelming. Plus the commute is 20 minutes, and it's in my field.

Now for the bad:

There is so much tribal knowledge, I am still asking questions six months into the role, and don't feel completely confident with some things.

There isn't a ton of advancement opportunity.

I have basically one position I could be promoted to, and not a whole lot of interesting lateral options either.

Marketing (I'm not in marketing) is heavily favored and makes more money than everyone else.

The worst of all? The people in my department. I have heard them openly bash each other, and they more than likely bash me, despite me keeping my head low and just trying to do the best job I can. It's so ridiculous. I hear them talking really low, gossiping, talking trash. One girl tried talking about another girl to me, and I didn't really entertain it. Then they all act like friends to their face.

It is so annoying. I also believe I am shunned. Six months in, and I am still left out of all their plans, lunches, etc despite trying to be outgoing. I sit in my cube for lunch while others all go out.

Then there are little things hear and there that discourage me. Each person handles a certain set of accounts. Someone emailed me asking if I could reach out and email all the accounts in my department regarding something (outside the company) . I didn't think it was my job to do that for other people's accounts, so I told my boss that I told the company to reach out to him and he could let the department know. That way, each person could email their own accounts.

I got this speil about how "he wasn't needed for that" and I was encouraged to "take the lead" on things and not stay in my own set of accounts. I still can't tell if it was a lecture or some criticism, but it really discouraged me.

Not to mention all the things I was told about development opportunities has been cut. I was supposed to get company paid training for my job/career. Nope, can't budget anymore. I was supposed to get classroom training about strategic processes and problem solving to use in my role. Nope, its an online class now that takes 4 hours to complete as opposed to the three day class. I was supposed to go to California to meet with important people I deal with every day in my role, see their operation, and look to improve. Nooope. My development sure feels stifled.

I kinda want to leave but I have to work there at least another year and a half for experience.
You're six months out of college and are already looking towards advancement opportunities? Looking to travel and meet important clients? Not part of the click?

I don't know, I see this as a mix of immaturity, inflated expectations and good ol' fashioned dose of real world reality. What do you think?

Old 06-18-2019, 11:39 PM

17,252 posts, read 10,176,823 times
Find another job already.

Do you care what your coworkers think?

Seeking advice about my current job.

What is throwing a coworker under the buss?

Old 06-19-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
You're six months out of college and are already looking towards advancement opportunities? Looking to travel and meet important clients? Not part of the click?

I don't know, I see this as a mix of immaturity, inflated expectations and good ol' fashioned dose of real world reality. What do you think?
What should I expect then?

Old 06-19-2019, 08:09 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
1,467 posts, read 1,131,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeFlounder View Post
What should I expect then?
To be the low man/woman on the totem pole and experience all the things that go along with that.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:19 AM

39,355 posts, read 2,970,878 times
Stick it out for a while, it is experience. Work is not always a bed of roses.

Old 06-19-2019, 08:56 AM

881 posts, read 335,093 times
If what you wrote is enough to discourage you, you're likely going to have a very rough time in the work world.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:41 AM

6,261 posts, read 3,451,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Stick it out for a while, it is experience. Work is not always a bed of roses.
Amen. 6 months out of school and already complaining is not a good sign.

OP, the company isn't there to develop YOU. It's up to YOU to provide value to the company.

You have 2 options.

1) Start looking while you have your current job. If you get something more suitable, then quit and move on. But no company is perfect. Luckily for you there is little stigma associated with job hopping anymore.

2) Stop moaning and do your job exceptionally well, and then focus on something else after work hours. It's quite common to have travel, training, etc. cut at times. Sometimes a company goes through cycles, which you wouldn't know as you've only been there and in the workforce for 6 months.

In my experience most private companies go through multiple cycles -

annual cycle - financial performance/budgeting/spending

3-5 year cycle - strategic planning/execution

10 year cycle - executive leadership changes/generational shifts

I stayed at one company for over 15 years and saw all of them. I started as a lower-level individual contributor and ended up as a general manager...and it took more than my first year and a half until I got my first promotion. Then after several promotions I stayed pretty stable for 4 years before the next one. There are few people who have a straight line rocket to the top - and those that do NEVER complain...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or