U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 03:55 AM

6,880 posts, read 7,281,254 times

Advertisements

Your thoughts and stories.....

-- How have you gotten used to a changing schedule?
-- How has it affected you (quality of life, errands, etc.) to have a changing or variable schedule.

I ask because I'm about to have a Mon-Fri, weekends and holiday's off job for the first time in 25 years.
I LIKED having weekdays -- I could make doctors appts, take the car to the shop, grocery shop when there's no crowd. It was great. BUT I NEVER could get weekends off. That was mainly the worst thing about it. That they 2-3 weekends I would want off per year, I could get those off with taking PTO, and sometimes THAT was refused.

Now, I'm going to holidays off. Holidays? What are those. Weekends off. AND office hours.
I've framed of being off when friends/family are off. Now missing family events. Being able to go evening events. But that also means shopping when most people shop, having to take off to do certain appointments, etc.

How has it affected you (quality of life, errands, etc.) to have a changing or variable schedule.

1) For decades I had what friends and family have said was a "crazy work schedule": (at a 24/7/365 workplace)
-- Schedule only posted three weeks ahead
-- Days off AND shift -- could change from schedule to schedule
-- So -- even though you schedule might get into a pattern -- you REALLY only had three weeks advance notice of days off and shift

For example, 95% of the time I worked 4p to midnight, ALL weekends, had two weekdays off. That could be my schedule for two months. Then when someone else was on vaca I'd be put in their slot for a week. Then back to mine.

So you could never really, really make any plans...say take classes, buy tickets to a concert. You could have the same seed for 6 months. And as soon as you sign up for a 6-week cooking class or college semester...boom...your schedule could change....and you'd have no idea how how many classes you might miss.

And again I worked nights, AND weekends. So weekends off. NOR any nights off (for dinner, concerts, evening classes, etc)

2) So I left that job after 21 years....and the only thing I could get was at yet another a 24/7/365 workplace!
THIS TIME....your schedule, and shift, and days off could change eery six months.

3) NOW, I'll soon be going to Mon-Fri, 9-5 "a normal life." It will be an "interesting" change.

So whatever your situation has been, how have you gotten used to a changing schedule?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or