U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 06:56 AM

528 posts, read 619,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
so i have not yet asked about working from home but the woman who contacted me wrote back and said, one thing to consider is this salary is at a certain level and will most likely be in the bottom half of the salary range. Based on this i dont even know if i should consider it. If i got middle of that range i'd be making what i make now. I am wondering if it would be too bold to ask to see if the middle of that range could be considered. But really it would be nice to get higher. I know it will likely be more work that what I'm doing now. I don't want to do more work than i'm doing now for less plus the bad commute.
That is an easy thanks but no thanks response. Don't go backwards in pay. Payjng bills is more important than what one does for work. People who say otherwise are being niave.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 06:58 AM

146 posts, read 25,490 times
yeah...this position sounds more prestigious than my current one...but for less pay and a worse commute I don't know how in my right mind i could take it.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:01 AM

2,067 posts, read 598,252 times
I would say no. I am in a similar situation minus the kids. Boring and tedious is a long term problem but given your age and family situation I would say unless the new place offers a contract or up front bonus + guaranteed 6 month severance don't make the move yet.

There are a lot of employers who will now dangle the "career" carrot in exchange for less favorable terms. Let them play that game with someone younger.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:16 AM

6,880 posts, read 7,278,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
probably less money & a worse commute, that is a NO from me.
Even equal money and a worse commute is a non starter* -- UNLESS the OP or anyone else for that matter -- has already thought about and ALREADY KNOWS they'll use this move, to get two-to-three moves along the career ladder....whatever that looks like for them.

The OP doesn't know his or her own mind. So how can we suggest anything.

Good grief, OP, do you want to pursue the job or don't you?
They called YOU, remember. You have a job. Ask for what you want and if they can't offer it, say thanks but no thanks. Even if it were to get to the offer stage, you don't have to accept if it doesn't work for YOU.

*(I lived in the DC area so commute was a major issue for me and lots of others.)

Quote:
yeah...this position sounds more prestigious than my current one...but for less pay and a worse commute I don't know how in my right mind i could take it.
No offense meant. But you really needed us to help you figure that out?

Old 06-21-2019, 01:13 PM

14,242 posts, read 44,903,829 times
Quote:
so i have not yet asked about working from home but the woman who contacted me wrote back and said, one thing to consider is this salary is at a certain level and will most likely be in the bottom half of the salary range. Based on this i dont even know if i should consider it. If i got middle of that range i'd be making what i make now. I am wondering if it would be too bold to ask to see if the middle of that range could be considered. But really it would be nice to get higher. I know it will likely be more work that what I'm doing now. I don't want to do more work than i'm doing now for less plus the bad commute.

Particularly, don't do that for less money than you are making where you are at.

Actually, being in the bottom half of your salary range usually means bigger merit raises for the same level of work/effort, so it's not a bad thing. When you are the highest paid "Engineer 3" in your group, it's hard for your boss to "sell" a big raise for you to his/her boss.

Without a raise and some provision to WFH, I would pass on this one. Unless you think the work would be something you would really like and be good at, the company is one of the best in the field, and you see a clear path for advancement. If all that is true, maybe it's worth moving closer to that great job so the bad commute goes away?

But I would counter them, say you want a 10% raise from what you are making now, or you will pass. And you are in a good position to say that, if they really want you, they will pay up. If they don't, well, that's information for you too.

Be nice about all this though. Most industries are smaller than people think, and you will run into the same people over and over. Give them reason to think you are a class guy with good people skills in addition to whatever you actually do.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:25 PM

so i let them know i couldnt do it for less than a certain amount. She wrote back saying she doenst make the final decision but based on my experience it should be doable. It's a conversation i have to have with HR it seems...so i will probably just ask for more and see what happens.

And yes...the next thing is commute issue. It seems like working from home once a week is possible...but that still means a bad commute the other 4 days. That might be a deal breaker if this were to go through.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:50 PM

6,880 posts, read 7,278,655 times
So, OP do you want the job or not?
Why drag this out?

IF you only want it, if they can give you what you want. Then why not give them all your parameters, and if they can meet them fine. If not, then thanks, but no thanks.

Why not just say I need this much money...AND to be able to work from home 2 days a week, this much PTO, etc.
You haven't done that, so now your contact is going to see if they can get you the money.
THEN, you hit them with you want to telecommute (work from home) 2 days a week (or however many days.)

Just say, "this is what it will take to get me: this much money, and working from home X days a week."

(And even so you do know there's no guarantee that won't change at some point.)

Old 06-21-2019, 02:16 PM

3,987 posts, read 3,255,234 times
Quote:
I recently started a new job at the beginning of April after being a job for 7 years. The reason i left the last job was because i felt underpaid, overworked and had never been promoted.

All i can do is write back i guess. It's nice that they reached out to me at any rate. The job sounds more interesting than what i'm doing now and potentially look better on my resume. But i am not sure it will pay as much as what i make now and the commute will be worse.
That you left last job may or may not be revealed at your discretion, no one else's.

WFH as a condition of the job is up-front. It's always come up in my hunt. I'm in IT. I work 1-3 days/home at the moment. Last job was 100% remote, for years, which I'd never had before (ups and downs to that, more ups than downs however!).

The only answer is how comfortable you are with uncertainty. Last job I was in 7 years was 20 years ago, left because I too was in a rut, so after that it's been catch as catch can and mostly just fine.

However you feel about fear is the answer, confidence in your own abilities to recover and learn new things.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:27 PM

806 posts, read 511,675 times
OP I say stay with your present job and reassess the situation in a couple of years. Wish you all the best.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:30 PM

Yes, i have some flexibility right now which is nice. I'm not sure that flexibility would there in the next job.

The work of the job i was approached about it overall more desirable than what im doing now. But it's not worth it for a miserable commute. I have learned that lesson before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or