U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 02:47 PM

78,644 posts, read 70,531,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Yes, i have some flexibility right now which is nice. I'm not sure that flexibility would there in the next job.

The work of the job i was approached about it overall more desirable than what im doing now. But it's not worth it for a miserable commute. I have learned that lesson before.
Well, I can tell you about boring jobs that aren't challenging; it really drives you up a wall eventually. If they'll give you the pay you want, and till let you work from home twice/week; that would be worth considering, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 04:01 PM

11,264 posts, read 8,427,500 times
I'd tell them up front - I've accepted another position because of xyz but I'll consider your offer if the salary & benefits compare.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:35 AM

146 posts, read 25,490 times
I am having a conversation with the person who reached out today. We'll see how it goes. I feel weird asking about WFH in this initial call

Old 06-24-2019, 07:36 PM

146 posts, read 25,490 times
so i had the conversation today and I officially applied for the job. The girl i spoke with not the hiring manager or HR...so there's only so much she can do around salary and WFH. I am waiting on next steps.

One thing that bugs me that i see the salary listed as follows:

Grade Minimum Mid-Point Maximum
055* $ 55,564 $ 71,991 $ 88,418

I currently make 70k. The girl told me it would be on the lower end of this range last week so i said, I make 70k now, i really cant take less than that. She said she has no say but it's probably doable given my experience, but 70k would probably be near the top of the range. Why bother having this range? Why not just list it as an 054? it's BS to list that and then tell someone oh but it would be at the bottom of this range.

I have a feeling this job wont be for me. I just am not thrilled with my current job. It's flexible, pay is ok...but I'm looking for something better i guess. I just am not convinced that i couldnt get more than 70k at this new prospect based on the range...if they wanted to hire me of course.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:39 PM

2,063 posts, read 598,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
so i had the conversation today and I officially applied for the job. The girl i spoke with not the hiring manager or HR...so there's only so much she can do around salary and WFH. I am waiting on next steps.

One thing that bugs me that i see the salary listed as follows:

Grade Minimum Mid-Point Maximum
055* $ 55,564 $ 71,991 $ 88,418

I currently make 70k. The girl told me it would be on the lower end of this range last week so i said, I make 70k now, i really cant take less than that. She said she has no say but it's probably doable given my experience, but 70k would probably be near the top of the range. Why bother having this range? Why not just list it as an 054? it's BS to list that and then tell someone oh but it would be at the bottom of this range.

I have a feeling this job wont be for me. I just am not thrilled with my current job. It's flexible, pay is ok...but I'm looking for something better i guess. I just am not convinced that i couldnt get more than 70k at this new prospect based on the range...if they wanted to hire me of course.
A lot of people including myself are in this exact situation. It's a sign that the economy is about to slow down. Too much resistance from employers on salary.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:01 PM

1,226 posts, read 521,997 times
no way would i leave for less money (or even same money), and a worse commute, and no wfh options

Old 06-25-2019, 09:43 PM

3,412 posts, read 3,545,621 times
Do the interviews. Get an offer in hand. Then make a decision. No need in worrying about a job you don't yet have.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:22 PM

19,986 posts, read 18,934,758 times
I have been approached recently by a company I admire and has position with duties I have done with a previous employer. The initial position I was offered was full-time. It was filled internally. I was referred to other locations that had part-time positions available and not enough hours to work. I was offered a position. I would accept if other locations would have hours available for me to work. The other locations did not have hours available. I had to decline the offer.

I am open to better job offers than what I am doing now. If an offer is not good enough, move on.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:07 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,549,780 times
I would talk to them about the job, interview even and then discuss commute and work from home issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or