U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 12:28 PM

87 posts, read 116,661 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

A few months ago I was temping as an admin. I covered for a lady on maternity leave. While covering for her, I got a call from a job I'd applied to weeks prior and forgotten about it. Long story short, I interviewed and got an offer. I took the offer because 1) more money and 2) benefits.

I recently heard back from temp job. They were sad to see me go but understood why I left and couldn't offer me a job. Lady on maternity isn't coming back and her position is now open. They want me back.

I've only been on this new job a few short months and think it'll look bad to leave. I don't think they'd consider ever taking me back down the line.

If I do decide to leave, I'd be getting at least a 20% bump in salary and can negotiate benefits.

What would you do? Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 01:14 PM

420 posts, read 230,727 times
Leave and take the 20% bump! It could be years before you see that kind of increase with your current company. The people you work with now may be unhappy about you leaving but the company doesn't care one iota about you. If you enjoyed working at the previous place, take the money and run back.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 PM

17,255 posts, read 10,183,539 times
What advice are you looking for?

Apply and IF you get an official offer, take it and don't look back.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:42 PM

379 posts, read 85,464 times
My thing is go with more money and go with the environment you are most comfortable with. Everything else is just noise.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanIAmVA View Post
Leave and take the 20% bump! It could be years before you see that kind of increase with your current company. The people you work with now may be unhappy about you leaving but the company doesn't care one iota about you. If you enjoyed working at the previous place, take the money and run back.
Thank you. I did like the old place and was sad to leave. The pay was way too low. As a temp I was paying the agency part of the hourly fee. My take home was insulting for my experience.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

The offer letter is on the way. Maternity leave person is sending executed paperwork that she's not returning. They can't make a written offer until she submits that.

Thank you. I will definitely strongly consider it. I'd be able to afford my own place in a nice neighborhood.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
My thing is go with more money and go with the environment you are most comfortable with. Everything else is just noise.
I like the environment where I temped. It was a small family like place. This current place is huge. Easy to get lost.

Thank you for responding.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:01 PM

2,660 posts, read 3,048,788 times
I was going to suggest prioritizing the big 3: environment/fit, pay, benefits. And take into consideration raises, bonuses, etc.

I went through almost that same thing. I took a temp job, 3 months in got a call from a place I applied to and went on the interview. The interview went well, they wanted me back but I knew I had to decide. I loved my temp job so much, I couldn't wait to get to work (that was a first, lol). Long story short. I let go of a FT perm opportunity for a FT temp job (that may have gone perm in another 9 months...or not), mostly because of the environment. At the time, happiness was the biggest priority (I was sick of chasing the money only to hate my job). I was also making peanuts (hadn't made such a low amount since in over 20 years), can't say I got more peanuts when I got hired on FT, BUT, I did get a new opportunity that had a HUGE bump in income. 6 years and 3 different positions later, I'm still here.

good luck!

Old 06-20-2019, 07:18 PM

2,059 posts, read 595,941 times
Go back. Sounds like they wanted to keep you didn't have the budget and now they do. Current job is a lot of unknowns and risk.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:03 AM

6,876 posts, read 7,273,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

The whole point of the initial post is s/he already has the offer.

OP, yep, leave for 20% increase and negotiated benefits. Ask for what you want. You're in the strongest position you can be in in a situation like this. You have a job, AND you know someone else wants YOU.
AND, AND, AND -- you already know the word environment there, the management, coworkers, whether there are cliques, who you can trust (such as you can trust anyone at work). A 20% raise -- AND you really don't have any unknowns right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment