U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 294 times

Advertisements

I am interested in the sales field/commission based jobs and I would like to know what is the most you've seen/heard someone make on commission or a sales-based job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 03:47 PM

645 posts, read 312,680 times
Over six figures is not unusual.....one has to truly work hard at sales btw

Old 06-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 6 days ago)

9,445 posts, read 3,628,914 times
It's hard to say, because many people embellish their earnings. What they say they earn, and what they actually do earn, are often two different things. And people who try to recruit you for commission-only jobs often LIE about how much people earn in those jobs.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:09 PM

645 posts, read 312,680 times
Research industries that are high demand in sales. Medical equipment, drug reps, etc.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:30 PM

528 posts, read 617,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chachaching View Post
I am interested in the sales field/commission based jobs and I would like to know what is the most you've seen/heard someone make on commission or a sales-based job.
Only way to make a lot in commissions is to make big dollars sales. Think in terms of a $400k sales with a 7 percent commission. There are some folks in finance that can earn a million in commission but that is only a handful of people in our entire country.

Very few sales people make a lot of money in commissions.

In real estate you have to sell multi million dollar deals to make a lot of money. Otherwise you will be lucky to make $60k.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:44 PM

6,252 posts, read 3,445,382 times
Enterprise software has traditionally paid well. I know people who had a good run of mid 6-figure years.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:35 PM

375 posts, read 84,449 times
As others have stated, it depends on what you are selling. But as an individual person, there is only so much time in a day that you can work/sell. Eventually, you will cap out at a certain income. The goal is to turn that sales career into business ownership and then start hiring salespeople to sell for you. That is where the real money is.

In 1996, I met Ahmed at a car dealership that my cousin was working at. Ahmed was an amazing car salesman. He was one of the top sales guys at their dealership for years. His ambition got him promoted to sales manager and once he gained enough experience, he wanted to start his own car dealership. He asked my cousin to joined him but my cousin had no such ambition. Over the years, Ahmed continues to run a successful car dealership while my cousin continues to hop from one job to the next.

In April 1999, I met a young gentleman name, Chris. He started selling auto, home, and life insurance as an employee for a local agent. A few years later I heard that Chris has left his employer and has opened his own agency. When I finally had the chance to stop by his office, based on his sales numbers, I knew he was doing very well.

So, what I'm trying to say is that in the end, it's not the salesperson that makes the most commission. It's the owner that makes a cut from all his/her salespeople that makes the most commission.

Last edited by mikefong123; 06-20-2019 at 10:49 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 06:13 AM

8,974 posts, read 8,096,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
Only way to make a lot in commissions is to make big dollars sales. Think in terms of a $400k sales with a 7 percent commission. There are some folks in finance that can earn a million in commission but that is only a handful of people in our entire country.

Very few sales people make a lot of money in commissions.

In real estate you have to sell multi million dollar deals to make a lot of money. Otherwise you will be lucky to make $60k.
A few things to consider:

The median income for agents for first 2 years is $19,500 per year. before deducting some heavy expenses.

Median income for all agents is $40,030, and that is before heavy expenses are deducted

The top 10 percent of earners made an average of $95,220

https://www.jobmonkey.com/realestate...gent-earnings/

80% of real estate sales are made by 20% of all agents.

80% of all agents entering the business, will leave the business as the cannot sell enough property to earn a living. Many left, without ever earning a commission.

Today, the majority of Realtors—63 percent—are women, according to the NAR 2017 Member Profile. The typical real estate agent is a 53-year-old white woman who attended college and is a homeowner, according to NAR’s 2017 overview of the real estate market.

The majority of woman agents, are married, often work part time, with a higher income husband.

Men have been forced out of the business, as they cannot earn enough to feed their family.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:37 AM

1,665 posts, read 547,450 times
I work in financial services, one company I worked for had a 50% commission rate for investment advisors. They were paid a salary for the first few years. Over the first five years commission went from 0% to 50%, and salaries went down to $0 after five years.

One of the advisors made around $850k/year the last year I worked there.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:54 AM

1,547 posts, read 1,278,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

Men have been forced out of the business
I like how you tell us 37% of real estate agents are men and then say "men have been forced out of the business".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or