U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-25-2019, 07:12 AM
 
Location: HoCo, MD
4,339 posts, read 7,982,576 times
Reputation: 4756

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Do different agencies in the federal government have different hiring practices?
They can. I've worked for divisions under the same agency and they have different general hiring/onboarding practices. A lot of it has to do with the size. Smaller groups may rely on a larger division or the agency for support. The larger ones may have their own process.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2019, 05:41 PM
 
1,411 posts, read 794,770 times
Reputation: 2247
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Yes, I am aware of that, but my point is, it is usually specifically that you have done it *on the job*. That's pretty yes-and-no.

I think a lot of the ones I've applied for also allow experience done as a volunteer, although probably not stuff you've done strictly "for funsies". And they usually say whatever you claim must be backed up by your resume.



Are they checking resumes against the test answers? Are they checking to see whether I listed driving 2008 Green Subarus on Highway 66, and if I don't specifically mention that do they take points away? If they see that I only drove a Blue 2009 on Hwy 67 do they take points away from my test answer, throw my application in the trash, or assume I answered honestly and refer me to the hiring manager?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 12:39 AM
 
6,875 posts, read 7,267,992 times
Reputation: 9785
If a supervisor is suggesting a person just check expert on everything.....then what does that suggest to YOU about whether the questionnaires answers are actually fact-checked?

Sure, they COULD be. But ARE they? To be honest I don't think they are. I think it's strictly for initial scoring.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 06:28 AM
 
11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Reputation: 28059
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
If a supervisor is suggesting a person just check expert on everything.....then what does that suggest to YOU about whether the questionnaires answers are actually fact-checked?

Sure, they COULD be. But ARE they? To be honest I don't think they are. I think it's strictly for initial scoring.
It's not fact checking. It's quantification, which can be subjective.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 06:46 AM
 
6,875 posts, read 7,267,992 times
Reputation: 9785
OK subjective is fine. But if everyone just says they are an expert on every question and they are not, what are the consequences for basically being untruthful on the questionnaire? If I am competing against someone who lied — and what that person said is never verified—then how is that fair to the person who doesn’t lie? It’s like It is some dirty little secret that no one wants to get out? Just say you’re an expert on everything on the questionnaire because no one will likely ever know. If they don’t verify it during the hiring process--unless you are an absolute total screwup, who cannot do anything, to the point that your manager wonders how you got hired and for some reason they go back and really pick a part your application, and really ask you question by question about your answers--a person would never face it consequences for lying on the questionnaire

Last edited by selhars; 06-26-2019 at 06:53 AM.. Reason: Sorry this is all one big block of text I don’t know how to skip a space when editing on my cell phone
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 07:58 AM
 
11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Reputation: 28059
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OK subjective is fine. But if everyone just says they are an expert on every question and they are not, what are the consequences for basically being untruthful on the questionnaire? If I am competing against someone who lied — and what that person said is never verified—then how is that fair to the person who doesn’t lie? It’s like It is some dirty little secret that no one wants to get out? Just say you’re an expert on everything on the questionnaire because no one will likely ever know. If they don’t verify it during the hiring process--unless you are an absolute total screwup, who cannot do anything, to the point that your manager wonders how you got hired and for some reason they go back and really pick a part your application, and really ask you question by question about your answers--a person would never face it consequences for lying on the questionnaire
You are assuming all "experts" are passed through. They aren't. The back up explanations are read and reviewed and given a score.

By the way, this is no different than people submitting resumes for civilian jobs. How do HR reps and hiring managers know what is or is not. true?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 10:03 AM
 
10,058 posts, read 4,648,803 times
Reputation: 15280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Are they checking resumes against the test answers? Are they checking to see whether I listed driving 2008 Green Subarus on Highway 66, and if I don't specifically mention that do they take points away? If they see that I only drove a Blue 2009 on Hwy 67 do they take points away from my test answer, throw my application in the trash, or assume I answered honestly and refer me to the hiring manager?
Because if you say expert the next thing they will say is prove it. Part of the ksa is for this, it comes up again in the interview.

You might think you can lie about the green Subaru but they know where the green ones are and if you didn't work with a company that uses them then they will see through it. If they list a specific model requirement, it's because it isn't ubiquitous... Try lying about working on a military plane because you can fly the crop duster back home when applying to be an aircraft mechanic. Sure they both fly but they can look up if you ever been near a military plane.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 03:23 PM
 
6,875 posts, read 7,267,992 times
Reputation: 9785
Quote:
Because if you say expert the next thing they will say is prove it. Part of the ksa is for this, it comes up again in the interview.
When is the last time you had a fed interview?

1) most jobs (none I know of) don't even use KSAs anymore
2) I think it's obvious that one should never lie in any instance where one can be proven to have lied. (IF --IF they were to ever ask you pointedly about it. Which I have never known them to do. Ever.)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Amelia Island
2,974 posts, read 3,954,136 times
Reputation: 3088
I have been with the Navy since 1985 and as I mentioned before the USA job process which we now have is not easily defined as a one shot, one method way to apply for the open jobs.

People do rate themselves excellent or expert. I have helped a friend with his resume only to have him get rated not referred and see some of those he works with who are less experienced get the job. Why, because my friend was honest with the questions.

I have graded resumes. I can know a person is more than qualified for the job but his or her resume does not meet the grading criteria so they will not be selected. Where someone who I know wrote their resume to walk on water meets the grading criteria and they get hired even though they are not the best, they are only the best on paper.

The only way to get by this is to hold interviews.

Unless you have a friend who is working at the activity you are applying at it is going to be hard to tailor your resume for a specific job without knowing what that activity does.

I am providing a link below. If you are looking for a government job please read the article. USA Jobs does not work efficiently. The Navy Yards are desperate to fill positions and they have gone to Direct Hiring Authority. There are six Navy Yards hiring from machinists to chemists and engineers. If you live near these yards this is your best bet to get interviewed up close and personal. The article is a year old but the yards are still holding these hiring events. We plan on having one in September. This is the easiest way to obtain a federal job right now I believe.

https://www.seacoastonline.com/news/...l-job-openings
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 08:18 PM
 
11,259 posts, read 8,414,613 times
Reputation: 20427
We're so understaffed here. It's really bad. DoN.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top