U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 10:19 PM

921 posts, read 252,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OK subjective is fine. But if everyone just says they are an expert on every question and they are not, what are the consequences for basically being untruthful on the questionnaire? If I am competing against someone who lied — and what that person said is never verified—then how is that fair to the person who doesn’t lie? It’s like It is some dirty little secret that no one wants to get out? Just say you’re an expert on everything on the questionnaire because no one will likely ever know. If they don’t verify it during the hiring process--unless you are an absolute total screwup, who cannot do anything, to the point that your manager wonders how you got hired and for some reason they go back and really pick a part your application, and really ask you question by question about your answers--a person would never face it consequences for lying on the questionnaire
I would never answer any question on a questionnaire or put something on my resume that I couldn't back up if they asked about it at the interview. If I have to answer with what they probably consider the "wrong" one in order to be truthful... so be it. You won't get anywhere by lying; no employer is going to look kindly on that. If you can talk a good game about why you said you were an "expert" at procurement because your boss once asked you to stop by Staples and buy a pen, go for it. I suppose if you can explain it in a way that makes it look like you think you're an expert (even if you're not), or if you might be considered an expert if it's looked at a certain way, it's not going to come across as badly as if it's obvious you straight-up lied (you'll just seem delusional, perhaps).

Any online hiring site, from any employer, doesn't go straight from computer to hired. Once a certain subset of candidates are "chosen" by the computer, a real person may then sort through them, there will be an interview with real people, employment and references will be checked, etc. The computer is for screening only; it's not the entire hiring manager and HR department.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 11:06 PM

1,411 posts, read 794,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

Any online hiring site, from any employer, doesn't go straight from computer to hired. Once a certain subset of candidates are "chosen" by the computer, a real person may then sort through them, there will be an interview with real people, employment and references will be checked, etc. The computer is for screening only; it's not the entire hiring manager and HR department.

Well that's the problem, leading people to consider "creative" responses; because there is no interview or referral.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:12 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,267,992 times
Oh please.....
Yeah, interviews where they ask you scripted personality questions, instead of pointed questions about your actual experience, the questionnaire, and resume.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:05 AM

3,960 posts, read 1,688,304 times
Quote:
Oh please.....
Yeah, interviews where they ask you scripted personality questions, instead of pointed questions about your actual experience, the questionnaire, and resume.
I have had 3 federal interviews in recent years. One was not scripted at all and asked questions based on my cover letter/resume. Two were scripted but directly about the skills needed to do the job. Since I was hired, my current job also added a skills assessment to part of the interview process. I know in my current interview, some of my answers sounded over the top to the interviewers because they don’t have processes like that in the federal government. However, they are 100% true.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:16 AM

11,259 posts, read 8,414,613 times
Quote:
Oh please.....
This describes none of the bazillion interviews I've had.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:22 PM

5,260 posts, read 3,309,355 times
Quote:
If a supervisor is suggesting a person just check expert on everything.....then what does that suggest to YOU about whether the questionnaires answers are actually fact-checked?

Sure, they COULD be. But ARE they? To be honest I don't think they are. I think it's strictly for initial scoring.
I volunteered once out on Midway Atoll with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for November 2009 to February 2010 and was talking to the refuge manager at the time and wanted to know his story and how he got to where he was. I mentioned I applied to numerous federal postings with NPS jobs in the past and never go to the interview part.

He said he got his Bachelor's degree in History from University of Illinois and got into the US Forestry Service as a seasonal position then eventually turned that into a full-time gig then shifted to U.S. Fish and Wildlife and now I think he is with NPS at Haleakalā NP on Maui.

He told me point blank, that you have to put 5's or expert on every self-evaluation question just to make it past the initial screening, even if it was fudging the truth. I never really applied for any NPS/federal jobs after that encounter, but found what he said very interesting, it didn't seem like he was pulling my leg, and granted this is only one federal employee's opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Do I believe people who put less than expert for every self-evaluation question get interviews and potentially get hired, sure, how many, I don't know.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:41 PM

6,875 posts, read 7,267,992 times
Quote:
He told me point blank, that you have to put 5's or expert on every self-evaluation question just to make it past the initial screening, even if it was fudging the truth.
I don't doubt that for a second.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:44 PM

921 posts, read 252,508 times
It's probably true. However, if they ask you about it later, you'd better be able to back it up. Just because you got the interview doesn't mean you got the job, and lying will be a great way to send you straight out the door.

You might get the interview, but so might have a bunch of other people who said they were "expert" on everything and it was the truth. Or you might get the interview, and they'll realize you were fudging and decide to re-list the job rather than hire anyone they interviewed. A lot of employers would rather wait a bit and get a new pool of candidates; they're not necessarily going to automatically hire the "best" person they interviewed if that person isn't a good fit for the job.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:21 PM

6,838 posts, read 3,708,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
It's probably true. However, if they ask you about it later, you'd better be able to back it up. Just because you got the interview doesn't mean you got the job, and lying will be a great way to send you straight out the door.

You might get the interview, but so might have a bunch of other people who said they were "expert" on everything and it was the truth. Or you might get the interview, and they'll realize you were fudging and decide to re-list the job rather than hire anyone they interviewed. A lot of employers would rather wait a bit and get a new pool of candidates; they're not necessarily going to automatically hire the "best" person they interviewed if that person isn't a good fit for the job.
This. We've done it several times. From a hiring official point of view, I hate that they did away with the KSA questions and replaced them with these "I'm an expert in everything" scores. Because in all honesty if you don't mark "expert" you won't get past the HR screen for the supervisor to actually see your resume. But since everyone does that, I'm now having to do the pre screening myself. Got a stack of over a hundred today. Maybe 10 will actually be qualified enough to interview.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:01 PM

1,411 posts, read 794,770 times
small wonder the liars and scum rise to the top, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or