Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2019, 05:44 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't understand. Are you applying on-line? Why in the hell would you do that?

I'm guessing you weren't around during the Clinton Administration. Clinton said they can hire directly, and it's been that way ever since.

If you want a federal job, don't apply on-line. Find out who you'll be working for and send your stuff to them. If they want you, they'll tell you exactly what you need to do to get hired. They'll probably want to interview you first, if not by telephone, then in person or both. If they like what they see, they'll tell you who to call, what forms to fill out and where to take them.
yeah, that's not how it works.

"direct hire" doesn't mean what you're implying.

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-over...url=Fact-Sheet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 05:53 PM

5,127 posts, read 6,123,485 times
As I have mentioned in recent posts and have provided links the DON is indeed doing Direct Hiring events. There is so much misguided information on this thread but there are also posts that are pretty factual and true.

We have hired for skilled trades, chemists and engineers at these events. We are going to have another one in September for southeast Georgia and northeast Florida. These are Direct Hire Events. The people interviewing have Direct Hiring Authority.

This link below is for a job fair earlier in Tacoma, Washington. Again Direct Hiring Authority has been given so as certain agency’s can bypass USA Jobs process.

Do your research as these Hiring events are happening all over the US, not every area but a good many.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/...228734064.html

Old 06-28-2019, 06:23 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Those job fairs let the managers interview and make a job offer but they still need to go through usajobs. We have those a few times a year. But while at fair they help with application so it doesn't get tossed out for missing info.

No one really gets hired at those events because even the hiring official can't one sidedly make that decision.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:44 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I wouldn't say there are gov't shutdowns "several times per year." That is a bit of an exaggeration.
It's not even every. single. year. No need to overstate the case.
Use my full quote if you are going to quote me, and accuse me of over-exaggerating. I said there are "threats" of government shutdowns several times a year. The last few years there have been several short-term CRs (sometimes a week, sometimes a couple weeks, sometimes a month, sometimes a couple months). The day before the end of each these short-term CRs there is a "threat" of a government shutdown if a deal isn't reached. With the divided Congress, the deals are reached at the very last hour or there is a shutdown.

They've become so common that CNN, FOX, and other news outlets have the "Countdown to Shutdown" clock-tickers a few days before the end of each funding period (short-term CR or fiscal year). The next one up is end of September. There is guaranteed to be lots of drama around the "threat" of another government shutdown.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Those job fairs let the managers interview and make a job offer but they still need to go through usajobs. We have those a few times a year. But while at fair they help with application so it doesn't get tossed out for missing info.

No one really gets hired at those events because even the hiring official can't one sidedly make that decision.

The ones that are Direct Hire Authority events do not go through USA Jobs. They do have job fairs that are meet and greets.

We have hired on the spot at these Direct Hiring Authority events. Between physicals and security clearance we can get people on board in 90 days.

Interviews are on the spot and graded and submitted for hire.

QUOTE:

The direct hiring authority, or DHA, provision will speed up hiring for certain positions, such as engineers or maintenance and repair personnel, at military depots like the shipyard. In typical governmental hiring processes, a prospective employee may have to wait months to be officially brought on board. The fear is skilled workers may find jobs elsewhere if a hiring process takes too long.

Jeremy Lambert, Portsmouth Naval Shipyard public affairs officer, previously said DHA allows resumes to be to be collected at one-day events like job fairs, which gives the local human resource office on the shipyard the chance to begin an immediate qualifications review. Without DHA, he said, the shipyard would have to wait for a job announcement to be posted on USAJOBS.gov, which remains open for an average of five days, and then all applications, experienced or not, are reviewed at a regional human resource office.

The shipyard has already been using DHA on particular positions thanks to a temporary allowance.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:28 PM

65 posts, read 50,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I don't understand. Are you applying on-line? Why in the hell would you do that?

I'm guessing you weren't around during the Clinton Administration. Clinton said they can hire directly, and it's been that way ever since.

If you want a federal job, don't apply on-line. Find out who you'll be working for and send your stuff to them. If they want you, they'll tell you exactly what you need to do to get hired. They'll probably want to interview you first, if not by telephone, then in person or both. If they like what they see, they'll tell you who to call, what forms to fill out and where to take them.

That is called "pre-selection" and most likely would wind up with the "applicant" barred from being offered the position (and if the applicant wound up in the position, the selecting official would be subject to disciplinary action. I have seen lawsuits filed over this type of selection with monetary damages being paid out).

Old 06-28-2019, 08:46 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
This is where working as a federal contractor (that I recommended earlier in this post) for the agency you are interested in can mitigate this. You will be working on all their specific systems and applications, doing the job that the agency is hiring for. You can rate yourself honestly with the experience level. Plus you get the exposure to the hiring manager and have the opportunity to build your reputation as someone the hiring manager needs.
Yes, I would think government contracting is essentially the gov't equivalent of being an intern and "getting a foot in the door" (though I know of people who are contractors who tried for years to get hired on properly and didn't, and interns who hadn't a snowball's chance in hell of getting a job in a company after working there for free all summer and sometimes going to considerable personal expense to do so).

Old 06-29-2019, 02:21 AM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Some agencies have direct hire for some positions but not all agencies have that authority yet. You can bypass USAJOBS but once selected still have to go through the HR on boarding and paperwork process. So it can still take a couple months between offer and starting work. I have offers outstanding that have been in processing for over a month already.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
The ones that are Direct Hire Authority events do not go through USA Jobs. They do have job fairs that are meet and greets.

We have hired on the spot at these Direct Hiring Authority events. Between physicals and security clearance we can get people on board in 90 days.

Interviews are on the spot and graded and submitted for hire.

QUOTE:

The direct hiring authority, or DHA, provision will speed up hiring for certain positions, such as engineers or maintenance and repair personnel, at military depots like the shipyard. In typical governmental hiring processes, a prospective employee may have to wait months to be officially brought on board. The fear is skilled workers may find jobs elsewhere if a hiring process takes too long.

Jeremy Lambert, Portsmouth Naval Shipyard public affairs officer, previously said DHA allows resumes to be to be collected at one-day events like job fairs, which gives the local human resource office on the shipyard the chance to begin an immediate qualifications review. Without DHA, he said, the shipyard would have to wait for a job announcement to be posted on USAJOBS.gov, which remains open for an average of five days, and then all applications, experienced or not, are reviewed at a regional human resource office.

The shipyard has already been using DHA on particular positions thanks to a temporary allowance.
Direct hire at job fairs sounds more problematic than usajobs.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Direct hire at job fairs sounds more problematic than usajobs.
In which way, could you explain. It has worked well for us and also our sister facilities. The only problems encountered so far are not enough skilled applicants are attending these events.

Those that do attend are getting interviewed not by HR but actual people who work in the departments that have the openings. The interviewer is asking real life questions pertaining to the skill in his or her department that are needed. This has been a huge win for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment