U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 10:34 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,648,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I suspect that a contributing factor is the continual outsourcing of jobs from the feds to contractors. There may simply be fewer GS 5-9 jobs than in previous years, because the government is doing less of the hands on work and more of the managing of the hands on work, which requires a senior person with industry experience.

This is simply a guess on my part, I have no evidence to back it up.
I get internal emails looking for people who want temporary positions for higher grade openings. It's a way to groom people and see if everyone involved likes it. It's a good way to get your feet wet without making a long term commitment to it.

and yes, these aren't posted on usajobs because they aren't "news" jobs, but a transfer of a current employee to a different duty/assignment for a set term.

also a way to break out of your job series too without going back to school for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 11:44 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
There are 3233 entry level jobs posted right now. So the question really is what field are you looking and are you limiting your location?
I never limit by location. I work in public health enforcing environmental health and safety regulations in the public sector, and I also do emergency management work on the side. I qualify for all of those agencies in certain roles. If I really wanted to pin which federal agency is the “most related” to my job, it would be the EPA. As I just got a transfer enforcing EPA Safe Drinking Water Act. I love the field I work in, I’m hoping it can take me further.

I’m not actively looking for a new position anymore, but I always keep my eyes peeled if a good opportunity comes up. I have always been a planner and say “Ok I’d like to end up at X, how do I get there?” and orient myself to achieve that goal. The federal government is X for me. I feel like already being in the public sector even if locally gives me somewhat of a leg up but it still seems tough to get in, at least that’s what I tell myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I suspect that a contributing factor is the continual outsourcing of jobs from the feds to contractors. There may simply be fewer GS 5-9 jobs than in previous years, because the government is doing less of the hands on work and more of the managing of the hands on work, which requires a senior person with industry experience.

This is simply a guess on my part, I have no evidence to back it up.
Where do you find these contractor positions? Do they still get full benefits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
With all of the budget cuts, there isn't time or money to train someone up. You want to get people who can be productive right away. Of course new hirers will have to be trained on the new system(s), processes, etc. But the skill level should be high enough to do the job.
That would explain not hiring at GS 5, but not the GS 7s and 9s which are experienced but not senior level. Fishbrains comment seems like a reasonable explanation to that.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:23 AM

8,929 posts, read 8,390,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Where do you find these contractor positions? Do they still get full benefits?

That would explain not hiring at GS 5, but not the GS 7s and 9s which are experienced but not senior level. Fishbrains comment seems like a reasonable explanation to that.
I am no expert on federal hiring or employment practices, and I may be completely wrong. My comment was based upon having read news articles in the past about government downsizing, where the overall government payroll budget was reduced but every agency saw increases in their budget for contracted services. Probably the most visible example of this in recent years is the rise of military contractors in Iraq. Security services could theoretically be provided by the US Army, but instead the government contracts with firms like Blackwater, which hires ex-military to fulfill.

That was not a political rant on my part, and I am not trying to derail the thread. I am simply providing an example that should be familiar to most people.

I used to live in DC when I was younger, and many of my friends were starting careers. They tended to work for employers like Hughes Raytheon, but worked at Goddard Space Flight Center. Others would be employed by one IT firm or another, but actually work on site with the IRS or similar agency.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:07 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,648,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
no it doesn't, who contracts out management positions for government agencies? they have strict controls on who access the information, they won't put that much of it in an outside entity...

hell, congress won't even contract out their coffee delivery. No doordash for them, they make the interns walk there and back.

It's only a reasonable excuse for someone who wants but didn't get the job to place the blame on something "out of their control"

Old 07-02-2019, 01:46 PM

6,875 posts, read 7,267,992 times
While the gov't won't contract out everything, of course, it might contract out more than many people think.
It contracts out security clearances. And remember Edward Snowden the NSA -- as in National Security! -- contractor who leaked all kinds of stuff?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or