U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2019, 07:04 AM

6,838 posts, read 3,708,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WankelThis View Post

One thing I would like to mention is if you have previous experience, where you start on the GS scale is negotiable. For example, when I hired some GS-13 engineers, they requested a higher starting salary than a Step 1. They showed me their salary history; one I started off as a Step 10, the other a Step 8.
Yes, we've had a few of those too, who used their salary history to justify a step 10. Though to be honest, their performance was about equivalent to an 11 or 12 who came up through the GS system. Not saying they were bad performers but that their pay level was out of sync with GS pay. It kind of shows the pay mismatch between GS and private sector for the same skill set. We have some contractors we've tried several times to switch to GS13 but their current contractor pay is equivalent to low GS15 level. We can't compete.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 07:25 AM

11,259 posts, read 8,414,613 times
OP since there are so many federal agencies, there's no set answer here. At the bottom of the job announcement you will find your HR poc. Call or email. They probably won't give you the ratings but you might get some idea of what you can do better.

I've been offered a dozen federal jobs (turned down 3 or 4 of those), applied for hundreds, been everything from not qualified (for jobs I was currently doing), all the way to selected.

Never give up/get discouraged.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:28 AM

1,411 posts, read 794,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WankelThis View Post
I disagree with this. If we had a contract employee who we liked and who came to us wanting to convert to a federal position, we would tailor the vacancy announcement to fit them to get them on board.

Yes I suppose I can see that. I've had that done for me in non-federal positions.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:34 AM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
And its a disservice for Charli or anyone else to suggest that I blamed vets for anything. I never have and don't plan to start.
Again, I didn't say any of that, but okay.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Again, I didn't say any of that, but okay.

You're right, that was someone else. You're the one who fabricated that I believe I'm the best candidate.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:52 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,954,136 times
I am going to give a quick skinny on the hiring practices. All of you prior or current feds please chime in.

First as mentioned a resume for a federal job is unlike any resume you can ever imagine. Current federal workers I know have been known to submit resumes upwards of 24 pages long. They upload them rather that sectionalize them like you can.

They tailor their resume towards the job they are applying for based on their experience and what attributes are listed under qualifications in the job posting putting those into their resume along with those items, or scenarios you answer to in the questions section. If the question asks your ability to work in a team atmosphere then put something in your resume to reflect your work history to reflect this.

Unfortunately a lot of applicants will fill out the questions with the top rating (I am considered an expert) on all the questions.

I have friends with great resumes but answered the questions not honestly. Remember you are competing with those who have no problem checking the highest rated.

A lot of jobs are posted internally to an agency only.

Right now at all the major naval shipyards we are experiencing a tremendous shortage of both semi skilled and skilled workers. They have been literally open hiring for these positions. We have all lot of apprentices come in with degrees and use this as an opportunity to get their foot in the door.

Good luck to the OP

Old 06-22-2019, 07:58 AM

2,135 posts, read 524,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
One aspect of this is people look at their private sector salary and find a matching GS level job for the salary they want and apply. The problem is the GS pay scale for professional positions is so under skewed that their qualifications only meet the requirement for jobs that pay 30% less than they are making now.
Wow. I had no idea.

An implication of paying so much less than the market wage for talent is qualified people would not apply (30% or anywhere close to that is a BIG differential). Yet, I'm assuming qualified candidates do indeed apply and are hired. That implies the additional benefits of being a federal employee is worth at least 30% more than monetary- and non-monetary bennies found in the private sector.

That's a big number.

What's the biggest draw? Relative job stability? Relative job security? Relatively secure federal pensions? Health care? Civil service protection? Desire to serve the country? Something else?

Old 06-22-2019, 08:05 AM

2,974 posts, read 3,954,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Wow. I had no idea.

An implication of paying so much less than the market wage for talent is qualified people would not apply (30% or anywhere close to that is a BIG differential). Yet, I'm assuming qualified candidates do indeed apply and are hired. That implies the additional benefits of being a federal employee is worth at least 30% more than monetary- and non-monetary bennies found in the private sector.

That's a big number.

What's the biggest draw? Relative job stability? Relative job security? Relatively secure federal pensions? Health care? Civil service protection? Desire to serve the country? Something else?

The biggest draw is you can move around within federal service. Other places in the US and Abroad and current hires will get a three legged stool in retirement. A FERS pension annuity, Social Security and a 401K that matches you 5%. Health benefits, and as you mentioned a somewhat pretty secure job for life. I say pretty secure as you never know what government agencies change for the better or worse in the future.

Old 06-22-2019, 08:30 AM

6,838 posts, read 3,708,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Wow. I had no idea.

That's a big number.

Yes, you are correct, we have very few qualified people apply. Think I posted earlier that out of a thousand resumes, less than a 100 just meet the minimum qualifications. We have a hard time hiring new graduates. I think in the past year we're running about 30% acceptance rate of offers made. I'm restarting the process this week for four positions where May graduates we'd made offers to turned us down. We're offering about $45K for new grads, and they are turning us down for offers in the 60's. For kids with college debt, dollars on the table talks more than retirement benefits that for them are two lifetimes away and in their minds they may never see. They don't trust those future benefits will be there for them in 40 years, so they discount the value compared to money in their pocket today.

The biggest draw we have is a mix of service to the country and a mission that people get really fired up about. They get to work on technology that you won't see on the market for decades. They like being a part of something that changes the world even though no one will ever know their names.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post

First as mentioned a resume for a federal job is unlike any resume you can ever imagine. Current federal workers I know have been known to submit resumes upwards of 24 pages long. They upload them rather that sectionalize them like you can.
I'm starting to think my resume may part of the problem, sometimes, and in some way, but went back and looked at the resume I submitted for the one job I was offered and had to turn down. It was 2 pages long. And that was a higher grade level than many of the jobs I've been applying to.

Who has the time or inclination to read a 24 page resume?

Quote:
They tailor their resume towards the job they are applying for based on their experience and what attributes are listed under qualifications in the job posting putting those into their resume along with those items, or scenarios you answer to in the questions section. If the question asks your ability to work in a team atmosphere then put something in your resume to reflect your work history to reflect this.
I always try to do this of course but there's only so many hours in the day of the life of a job seeker. I wish I had the time to intimately parse every word and make sure my resume shows something for that word but I don't.
Quote:

Unfortunately a lot of applicants will fill out the questions with the top rating (I am considered an expert) on all the questions. I have friends with great resumes but answered the questions not honestly. Remember you are competing with those who have no problem checking the highest rated.
Now this gets to the heart of my reason for posting the thread. I have a friend, retired from the park service, who admits to lying on job applications. I know other people are doing it. I have a real issue with how some of the questions are phrased, as they seem to be designed to weed out everyone except liars.

Then there are questions that ask you to rate yourself on very very specific tasks, when performing very similar tasks gives you the same experience. If you take it literally you have to say I have not done that, when in fact you might be an expert in essentially the same thing, or something even more difficult or advanced. I'll make one up.

Please rate your experience driving green 2008 Subaru Foresters on Highway 66.

Oh crap, I've never once driven a green 2008 Subaru Forester on Highway 66 and I was never trained specifically to do so, but I've been teaching student drivers in a green 2009 Subaru Forester on Highway 67 for 10 years, I'm a part-time licensed Subaru mechanic, and I used to work for Subaru and helped design the Forester.

If I take this literally and answer honestly, I have to give myself zero points on this question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or