Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2019, 02:20 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
If driving green 2008 Subaru Foresters on Hwy 66 is the question that separates you out, then that means your skills aren't that unique and they have a thousand resumes that do drive green 2008 Subaru Foresters on Hwy 66.
It just means they have a thousand who say they are experts at driving green 2008 Subaru Foresters on Hwy 66. I've been in the business a loooong time, and I know there aren't that many people with that specific skill.

Quote:
It's been said several times on this thread -- if you are applying for jobs that anyone with common skills can do, then it's a random chance simply because you are one of a thousand identical resumes.
I don't think "score below cutoff" has anything to do with random chance. It suggests my test scores weren't good enough. Or is "score below cutoff" really just a federal euphemism for "we flipped a coin and you lost"?

Quote:
We've got over a thousand resumes of 2019 engineering graduates. Most are identical; could tack them to the wall and throw darts. We look for leadership and specific skills to separate out the 20 or so to interview from the mass of sameness. Your resume and application needs to show how you actually stand out.
I suspect that's the intention of the green Subaru type questions, but as I said earlier the process is getting too smart for its own good. They think they are weeding out unqualified applicants with the questions, but they are weeding out qualified applicants too. I don't think my resume gets looked at.

If you've been using Windows 7 for years, how hard is it to learn Windows 8? If you've been in HR admin with the Navy for 20 years how hard is it to learn HR admin in the Army? If you've been teaching at a public University for 20 years how hard is it to learn to teach at a private one? If you've been head of sales with Ford for 20 years how hard is it to learn to sell Chevy? if you've been a cashier at multiple retail outlets how hard is it to learn to collect special use fees?

Yeah, you've got to learn some new terms and some new software perks and some new administrative rules, but if you can walk and chew gum at the same time any one of those hypothetical people could quickly pick it up and perform the new job at a high level too. But the only people who can say they are experts are people who have held that exact position before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 02:21 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
But maybe you should to at least get passed the first part of the screening process!

Maybe I'll apply for a job that's over my head in a department that I have no interest in working for, and say I'm an expert in everything just to see what happens.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:46 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Maybe I'll apply for a job that's over my head in a department that I have no interest in working for, and say I'm an expert in everything just to see what happens.
I think you should, it would be an interesting "experiment" to see how far you'll get in the process, and if you just so happen to get to the interview part, just plead ignorance or amnesia or say you don't recall!

Old 06-29-2019, 02:50 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
I hope one day I get to work for the federal government, though when I look at jobs online it seems like all positions are GS-11 or higher. And usually extremely high up in the chain, supervisory, with salaries to match. Now this isn't to say these aren't good jobs, but what about the lower jobs? As a BS college graduate with 2 years of experience in public sector regulations, I'd like to imagine I fall around GS-7 or 9, but there are no jobs in this ranking in general, let alone in my field.

I imagine as an outsider it's even harder to get into a job at GS-13, unless you have skills in high demand like in engineering and have a security clearance. What about the more entry-level positions? Why are they never on USAJobs?

Old 06-29-2019, 03:00 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
In which way, could you explain. It has worked well for us and also our sister facilities. The only problems encountered so far are not enough skilled applicants are attending these events.

Those that do attend are getting interviewed not by HR but actual people who work in the departments that have the openings. The interviewer is asking real life questions pertaining to the skill in his or her department that are needed. This has been a huge win for us.
For all its woes, usajobs is a central location where anyone across the nation with online access can find and apply for a federal job.

These job fairs are extremely local. That eliminates opportunity for a lot of people. Also, where are these job fairs advertised?

Old 06-29-2019, 04:14 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
There are GS 5, 7, and 9 positions posted.
Now whether they are in your field, or in your area is a different issue.

And sometimes there's just a dearth of openings in a given field or profession.

I find with USAJobs that a person really should check EVERY day, twice a day.
I've seen some jobs posted for just. one. day!

Old 06-29-2019, 04:15 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
There are GS 5, 7, and 9 positions posted.
Now whether they are in your field, or in your area (location) is a different issue.

And sometimes there's just a dearth of openings in a given field or profession. You'll see 2 or 3 jobs one week. And then nothing for three to four weeks.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:14 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
For all its woes, usajobs is a central location where anyone across the nation with online access can find and apply for a federal job.

These job fairs are extremely local. That eliminates opportunity for a lot of people. Also, where are these job fairs advertised?
These are are only for the DHA jobs, which are not the majority of jobs. Excepted service jobs are also exempt from having to advertise on usajobs, but those are typically duty/agency specific or attorney positions. I am in excepted service and about 90% of the hires in my job are not via public USAjobs listings. They will either have current employees send the listing out or post them on job boards. That said, I think there is some union agreement that anyone hired out of those secret postings has to be brought on via a term contract (which will usually be converted to permanent). It can be a risk to take them if you have a steady job.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:33 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
They have email alerts when jobs are posted... No need to check everyday

Old 06-29-2019, 06:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
These are are only for the DHA jobs, which are not the majority of jobs. Excepted service jobs are also exempt from having to advertise on usajobs, but those are typically duty/agency specific or attorney positions. I am in excepted service and about 90% of the hires in my job are not via public USAjobs listings. They will either have current employees send the listing out or post them on job boards. That said, I think there is some union agreement that anyone hired out of those secret postings has to be brought on via a term contract (which will usually be converted to permanent). It can be a risk to take them if you have a steady job.
Secret postings? That says a lot. It intentionally restricts the applicant pool. Problematic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment