U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 05:24 PM

1,410 posts, read 794,770 times

Advertisements

How much information can I get about the referral and hiring process for specific federal positions? I keep getting "you qualify but were not referred" messages. Can I get copies of the scoring and ranks of myself and other applicants so that I can see where and why I am falling short? It seems like most of this should be public data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 05:28 PM

597 posts, read 200,314 times
I doubt it. But I'm with you. I have been applying for a year and a half and am insanely qualified for some of these positions, but I'm not a vet, displaced fed employee, etc., so I don't make the cut.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/rating-process

Old 06-20-2019, 05:47 PM

11,118 posts, read 8,523,617 times
You can make a freedom of information request. Google it.

But from what I've read, it won't help you much. You already have it set in your mind that you were the best candidate. You'll most likely still feel entitled to the job even after you see the credentials of the chosen candidate.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:51 PM

6,835 posts, read 3,708,603 times
What's your field and degree? Do you have a resume? I'm hiring right now. There are two problems many people see when applying for Federal jobs.

a. They're applying for general functional and business type jobs. There are hundreds to a thousand people applying for these. And a huge percentage are equally qualified. You can FOIA the job scores, but you will most likely find you were just one in a pile of others all equally qualified so someone else from the pile was picked.

b. They're applying for professional jobs they are not qualified for. One aspect of this is people look at their private sector salary and find a matching GS level job for the salary they want and apply. The problem is the GS pay scale for professional positions is so under skewed that their qualifications only meet the requirement for jobs that pay 30% less than they are making now. The other aspect is many people apply thinking they meet the qualifications (this includes many new graduates) when they really don't. Here's reality: If I'm hiring for a BS physicist, I'll get a hundred resumes. 80 of them won't have a physics degree. Of the remaining 20, half of them will have done nothing in college other than go to class. Sorry to break it to you, but everyone who has the basic degree has the coursework. So you aren't standing out. What stands out is the few who did research. Perhaps published or presented a paper. Were leaders in their local professional society.

If either of you wants to post a redacted copy of your resume and the type of positions you are applying for, we can review it here so that everyone can see what the hiring official is looking for.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:05 PM

^Thanks tnff. You summed it up well. People seem to think that their skills are unique and that makes them the only qualified candidate.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You can make a freedom of information request. Google it.
I'm well aware of what it is, what I'm asking is how much of that information is public data. Obviously I'm not going to get social security numbers, nor do I want them.

Quote:

But from what I've read, it won't help you much. You already have it set in your mind that you were the best candidate. You'll most likely still feel entitled to the job even after you see the credentials of the chosen candidate.
And where did you get that ridiculous and utterly false idea? I merely want to understand the process and ranking-referral system better.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
^Thanks tnff. You summed it up well. People seem to think that their skills are unique and that makes them the only qualified candidate.

This thread is not about you.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
This thread is not about you.
Didn't mention myself, but okay.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:08 PM

2,387 posts, read 683,329 times
Most federal jobs are hard to get unless you get the Veteran's preference. You could get rated 98% and still not get the job, because some veteran got over 100% with their Veterans points.

SOMETIMES agencies post jobs that have dozens of jobs open in multiple locations. For those, if you're willing to relocate, you can get the job. Auditors are in BIG demand.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:58 PM

6,874 posts, read 7,267,992 times
It's not just the vet preference hurdle.
In the Fed system...
-- there's being ELIGIBLE to apply: are you in a category of applicants to and for which the announcement is open
-- there's QUALIFIED: do you meet the basic and/or specific criteria required -- years of experience, degree, etc
These two are not the same thing.

The "federal resume" is NOT the same format as a private sector resume. The fed resume is much longer. You literally have to breakdown every. little. task. or duty. you had and explain it to death, in detail using key words and duties critical to the position. Key responsibilities are described in the announcement.

LOTS and LOTS of people apply for fed jobs. IF there's only one vacancy, the odds just are not in your favor. That's true with a fed job or any other.

So increase your odds by applying for jobs where there are multiple vacancies. Then, of course, if you care -- you have to ask yourself, WHY are there multiple vacancies. Does no one what to work for this agency, is retention bad? If so, why? Or, is the agency just increasing staffing? Sometimes you have to take a job that's "beneath you" or your experience or skill set, or that you don't really want -- just to get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or