U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 05:49 PM

36 posts, read 10,899 times

Advertisements

I started a new role a few months ago - 50/50 remote

My team: Seattle.
Me: Atlanta

I'm 20 something.
Zero industry experience. Notable role experience.

I work from home a lot because the ENTIRE local office is a seperate department.

Imagine being the only IT person in an office full of legal people.

BECAUSE OF THIS I FEEL MY DEVELOPMENT IS SUFFERING.

My training has be relegated to online training courses that are tedious, lack context and do little for my actual retention. I've had one on ones but they're sporadic.

I flew out to meet my team when I first started and feel like I learned more in a week than I have in the last 3 months here.

I voiced this to my supervisor and he assured me that the journey to certification and competency is a gradual one.

And I admit that I'm used to a more accelerated learning curve...

But this seems very gradual. Like not being truly proficient until year 2.

Have you had any experiences like this?

Someone who is not me would just lay low for a year or two and just move on.

That's not me.

How do I stay productive when the pace is so slow and the responsibility so limited?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or