Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 11:20 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It depends on the reason. If there's an emergency, that's fine, but tell me. I once waited in a GYN's office for 2 hours, and when I went up to ask what was going on, they told me she had an emergency and was at the hospital seeing a patient. Thanks for letting me know! I could've gone 2 stores down and gotten something to eat, done an errand, etc.

If it's because they vastly overbook, I find it more annoying. My GP routinely did this, it seemed like multiple people would all have the same appointment time. That's annoying because that's them saying it's more important they still make money between 11 and 12 even if someone doesn't show than it is to respect my time. I still stayed there for 15 years though.

My spine surgeon's office wait was also long, at least 45 minutes. That one upset me because I was in agonizing pain unless I was laying on my right side, and to be forced to sit in a chair that long was excrutiating. Everyone in that waiting room had spine problems, yet everyone had to wait. I also felt given every patient was there with a spine problem they could have at least bought ergonomic and comfortable chairs (I know he could afford it!)
Orthopedic surgeons are the worst! They tend to be jackasses anyway and they overbook way too much. I dated one for about 5 seconds and have had five orthopedic surgeries because of a collagen disease, so I have spent way too much time in their offices. I joked with my last one that I spent enough money to put his kids through college just on the one surgery he did.

A few years back, I got a new primary care doctor and was filling out the patient paperwork. It listed a series of policies I had to initial. One policy stated, "Pt agrees to pay a $25 fee if they are more than 15 minutes late to their appointment." I refused to sign it. I went to the desk and said, "I will agree to this policy as long as the doctor pays ME $25 if he makes me wait more than 15 minutes. After all, my time matters too, right?" The receptionist was shocked. She had never had anyone refuse to agree to it. She conferred with the manager and after they discussed it, they did not insist I sign it, which I wouldn't have anyway.

As for the practice I work for, our system is unusual. Walk-in only so first come, first serve. If five patients are ahead of the person, I can reasonably say, "It will take about 90 minutes. You want to come back?" Most patients wait. Any serious problems are referred. There are no complaints because the line, if any, is obvious, and without appointments, people can't claim we're running behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 11:59 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
For those of you who are patients and don't work in healthcare, how long is a reasonable wait time before you see the doctor? What would you appreciate from us if there is an inevitable delay? How can we better serve you?
If there is a delay, simply tell the patient about it. If they didn't plan their day properly, then let them reschedule it. But even if I have a morning doctor appointment, I don't plan anything critical I must be at immediately following it.

I don't get why people get all excited about how long they sit in a waiting room. These people sit in front of the TV for 3 hours each week watching sports.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:09 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
If there is a delay, simply tell the patient about it. If they didn't plan their day properly, then let them reschedule it. But even if I have a morning doctor appointment, I don't plan anything critical I must be at immediately following it.

I don't get why people get all excited about how long they sit in a waiting room. These people sit in front of the TV for 3 hours each week watching sports.
Because sometimes people DO have to plan things during their work day and can only be gone so long.

I have left doctors' practices several times. I will also not hesitate to give the doctor a piece of my mind. My time is also important. I try not to take it out on the staff but I'll communicate my displeasure so they can pass it up the chain.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:22 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Similar to restaurants I only patronize high ranked medical practices (rank on Yelp/ZocDoc or HealthGrades) with good punctuality and manners. If their manners are good and punctuality is not so good (i.e. they double/triple book) then I will only go on days which I can wait around for 1+ hour without concern. However, in general NO exceptions will be made for establishments where they have poor manners...

A medical practice is like any other business. Eventually it will shut down if they have terrible bedside manner. Some of these places hang on like zombies due to older medicaid people having limited options in their area. But a lot of younger people will travel far to get a good provider. There was a multi-specialty practice near me that finally shut down as they were the lowest performers in the Hospital network and had received THOUSANDS of complaints. Unfortunately that leaves many older people with limited mobility up sh**'s creek because there is NO alternative in walking distance for them.

USA has a healthcare problem overall. The whole system is a mess. I won't be retiring here because of that.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:31 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:

It doesn't matter if my plan for the afternoon is sitting in front of the tube watching a marathon of The Young and the Restless; I have things I would rather be doing than sitting in the doctor's office waiting room watching their paint dry. As a healthcare provider, I don't always book as full as the doctor has insisted because I am aware it would cause a lot of wait time.

Old 06-21-2019, 02:01 PM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times
Quote:

I care. I don't want to be around sickness and germs any longer than I have to.

There is a big difference between doing something at your leisure (watching tv) and being held captive for an undetermined amount of time waiting to see your doctor. The simple courtesy of informing the patient of a long delay would suffice for most people. The problem is the providers know you may leave and they don't want you to so usually they will not give you updates.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:47 PM

6,148 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Ten minutes is reasonable to wait for a scheduled appointment. After that, I need an explanation of why I'm waiting. Another problem is that a lot of places now work business hours and if you work, too, you're very likely using your lunch hour, PTO, or just plain losing money to be there. If you bring in the value of everyone's time, I think my $11 an hour time is far more valuable to me than the doctor's hourly pay is to them. To be fair, though, I am always on time and will call if I'll be even 5 minutes late because I understand the pressure to see as many patients as possible. A little mutual respect goes a long way.

An emergency situation is completely different and you have to expect that people with worse problems than yours take precedence. Equally, in a no-appointment, first-come, first-served set-up, you know the people ahead of you are ahead of you and since you know that going in, you can go when you have time. You're unlikely to get too ill at the optometrist's and I can think of far worse things than an hour of downtown to read a novel. Especially if I can get a reasonable guesstimate of the wait and not a lie.

Strange request: I'm quite short and can be very uncomfortable after an hour in a too-large chair. Vary the seating if you can.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:00 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:

Try being wheelchair bound , with pain to boot. Then maybe you can come back with a dismissive attitude to those who are seeking resolution for why they are at the doctors office to being with!!

My Mother sat for 2 and 1/2 hours at the doctors office. It often took two people to get her in and out of her wheelchair. We sat for the first hour joking things off. By the second hour it was no longer fun or deserving of a light hearted attitude. And Nope, not a soul came out to tell us what the delay was . I assure you I would have left had it been my appointment! Unfortunately this was my moms' medicaid check up , and if she didn't get it done. All her medical supplies would cease. Yes every 6 months she had to go in so the doc could re-issue orders for her to stay on oxygen, her diabetic meds , her c-pap machine, and wheelchair usage.

My Mom was a nurse for 43 years. she not once delayed people from the care they required. She absolutely hated it when her nursing care facility would deliberately schedule release of patients for in the afternoon. It was so they could charge a 1/2 day so the person could wait it out. There were so many incidents of how the medical industry squeezes the last dime out of that patient.

I do think the double standard in the medical field is ridiculous. Charge me for being late, yet the doc is allowed to hold up patients for hours? Come on. I'd love to charge them for every minute over 20 , they keep me waiting. I recall the receptionist one time , playing on her facebook app, and "How dare I disturb her!" when I was wishing to pay the bill. I knew then that we live in a different world and it hasn't been the same since.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:14 AM

290 posts, read 250,075 times
There are doctors in those buildings? Who knew?

I tend to view this as one of the things I can't change, so I bring a book or audiobook (w earbuds) and try to relax. When it's finally my turn I go into little room and wait until a stranger comes in to type on the computer. On really rare occasions the person behind the computer stops typing for a few seconds to talk to me.

My doctor's name is Dell, my cardiologist is named HP. Beyond that, I know little about them.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:46 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:

I used to have an eye doctor that would take at least a half day, if not more. When I was a kid, going to get my eyes checked was a whole day ordeal of waiting. Who wants to sit all day at age 11? It was exciting to get the 1pm appointment because it just meant a half day.

I also had an allergist who routinely took 1-2 hours. He was quite good, but when you are working and have to take off an entire afternoon for a visit when you only get 3-6 sick days a year, it is a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment