U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 11:29 AM

5,020 posts, read 3,207,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post

Eventually, I keep calling who often liked to pick up shifts and kept their word when they said yes and came in. I stopped calling those who often said no or picked up and cancelled. It's very time consuming and wasting with those employees. It's like they just want to keep their position in the company, but they don't really care for the company. I understand that many people work two three jobs or are busy somewhere else, but they should not complain to the HR or the higher-up that the schedulers did not call them. We explained the situations to the HR, and they agreed with us.

Some people are very irresponsible, disrespectful and don't care about others at work at all.
That is one thing they're going to discuss Monday. Our weekend people get 34.5 hours. They want to make 40+ but when called, they can't make it. I can understand that, I have suggested they have a set group who can attend swing/grave and a set group that can do day/swing. We'll see what comes of it.

If I had been told "Hey, there's a 50-50 chance of work this weekend, can you be ready?" I'd have agreed to be ready and slept. But no notice means no work.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 11:37 AM

9,778 posts, read 16,962,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Your managers are morons if they donít hire enough people and have regular OT all the time.
Do you understand how salary and benefits impact budgeting? It is frequently cheaper to have X amount of scheduled overtime rather than another full time person.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:40 AM

20,521 posts, read 16,605,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Really? So, I'm off from work at 7:30 am. Tuesday morning I spoke with the supervisor and he said "Dayshift took it all, so none for us"... Ok, sometimes I do want the overtime, but since it was filled, then no worries.

So, 1 pm I am in my vehicle drinking coffee, eating doughnut and pondering Fri-Sat night revelry. Phone rings "Oh we have 3 positions available, Dayshift backed out"....I reply "Tough $%^&* I was told they took them. Tell them to work them or be fired for failure to show for work. I have been up all day and there's no chance for me to get enough sleep to make a 12 hr shift"

I can't understand why anyone would think this wasn't clear....

Again, I am not clear if they are calling you to tell you to work, or simply saying that those guys backed out, if you want a shift it's yours. I get being upset at the employees who backed out, I guess cursing at them confused me about who you were mad at.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:55 AM

684 posts, read 248,421 times
Quote:
We have enough, we also have people who change their minds and get away with backing out of commitments.

We also have a set weekend shift and there's times when we have to add a few positions for the weekend.

The funny thing was they started this weekend shift to cut down the OT for the regular shifts. Yet they still add 2-4 positions due to a sudden order they "Forgot" to allocate workers for during the week and thus.....
At our company, we even book 4 extra staff for every weekend and for each shift (day, evening and night) in case someone calls in sick, we use those extra staff to cover them. If nobody calls in sick, each unit would be working nicely with an extra staff. However, that never happened/happens. It's always been more staff called in sick than the number of extra staff prepared. So, we always ended up with calling people to work OT. If nobody wanted to work OT, then they would end up with working short of staff. And everybody is not happy. Whose fault is it? And what can we do?

Old 06-22-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Again, I am not clear if they are calling you to tell you to work, or simply saying that those guys backed out, if you want a shift it's yours. I get being upset at the employees who backed out, I guess cursing at them confused me about who you were mad at.

They were calling me to cover the dirtbags who changed their minds....

Old 06-22-2019, 01:09 PM

684 posts, read 248,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
My company's been hiring 0.4 - 0. 8 FTE and casual workers constantly. People came and went away very fast because for 0.4 to 0.6 it's not worth it to come to work if you have to take buses, or city trains for 1 - 1.5 hours for transportation each way; and the workloads are overbearing.

There are many employees who are very responsible and reliable. Others are opposite.

I used to do scheduling before, many employees picked up some shifts (long ahead of time), and they called in to cancel those shifts the day before or a few hours before the shift with the reason "family emergency". And that happened all the times.

And there were employees calling in to beg for shifts, and when I needed them and called them, they said they were not available that day, or someone was even very honest and said "oh, I have an appointment to do my hair today. I cannot come." LOL. Yeah, doing your hair is more important than to come to work when we really need you. Okay.

Eventually, I kept calling who often liked to pick up shifts and kept their word when they said yes and came in. I stopped calling those who often said no or picked up and cancelled. It's very time consuming and wasting with those employees. It's like they just want to keep their position in the company, but they don't really care for the company. I understand that many people work two three jobs or are busy somewhere else, but they should not complain to the HR or the higher-up that the schedulers did not call them. We explained the situations to the HR, and they agreed with us.

Some people are very irresponsible, disrespectful and don't care about others at work at all.
To edit to my first paragraph above: 0.4 or 0.6 FTE means 4 or 6 hours to work every day (4 hrs X 10 days in two week pay period), not 8 hours per day (8 hrs X 4 days in two weeks). The 4 hrs/day is not worth it because you have to spend 3 hours for travelling to go to work and back if you live far from work. If the employers can make such shifts for employees to save on paying benefits, then they should know employees are smart too. Nobody wants to spend 7 hours to go to work, work, and come back home for getting pay for only 4 hours.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:29 PM

2,206 posts, read 928,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do you understand how salary and benefits impact budgeting? It is frequently cheaper to have X amount of scheduled overtime rather than another full time person.

Of course he doesn't understand. It's just easier to blame "stupid management" than try to understand the logic behind the decision to work IT vs. hire more people.

Paying OT is always cheaper than hiring full time with benefits. Nothing hard to understand about that. Most employees however have no idea how much their benefits cost the company. Nor do they care. A benefit package is the costliest part of labor. Again,not seen so no one thinks about it. I'm an advocate for educating employees in profit margins related to sakes just so they get an idea of how much it costs to run a business.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Paying OT is always cheaper than hiring full time with benefits. Nothing hard to understand about that. Most employees however have no idea how much their benefits cost the company. Nor do they care.
I disagree. otherwise why start a weekend crew? They did it to cut down the OT. I'll admit we're not working half the weekends like before, but we're still seeing quite a bit...

Old 06-22-2019, 01:37 PM

9,644 posts, read 4,545,718 times
Quote:
Really? So, I'm off from work at 7:30 am. Tuesday morning I spoke with the supervisor and he said "Dayshift took it all, so none for us"... Ok, sometimes I do want the overtime, but since it was filled, then no worries.

So, 1 pm I am in my vehicle drinking coffee, eating doughnut and pondering Fri-Sat night revelry. Phone rings "Oh we have 3 positions available, Dayshift backed out"....I reply "Tough $%^&* I was told they took them. Tell them to work them or be fired for failure to show for work. I have been up all day and there's no chance for me to get enough sleep to make a 12 hr shift"

I can't understand why anyone would think this wasn't clear....

Clear as mud. You said you were called up and told "3 positions available". That suggests you are simply being offered not required to work. No reason for you to sound off like a hothead. Just say "no thanks".

Old 06-22-2019, 01:40 PM

21,155 posts, read 11,754,604 times
Quote:
They were calling me to cover the dirtbags who changed their minds....
And yet, still not clear

telling you that you HAVE to work? or calling to say "hey, we have some OT available after all, did you want to pick up some hours?"

If it's the former and they were telling you that you have to work, why wouldn't they tell the people who had originally signed up for the OT that they HAD to work? How is your employment situation different in that OT is not optional for you but is for others?

Last edited by emm74; 06-22-2019 at 01:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment