Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 03:47 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times

Advertisements

So, I'm off from work at 7:30 am. Tuesday morning I spoke with the supervisor and he said "Dayshift took it all, so none for us"... Ok, sometimes I do want the overtime, but since it was filled, then no worries.

So, 1 pm I am in my vehicle drinking coffee, eating doughnut and pondering Fri-Sat night revelry. Phone rings "Oh we have 3 positions available, Dayshift backed out"....I reply "Tough $%^&* I was told they took them. Tell them to work them or be fired for failure to show for work. I have been up all day and there's no chance for me to get enough sleep to make a 12 hr shift"

I'll approach the supervisor and if that's not enough, the President and since we're having the company picnic next week and he's grill chief, I'll have the chance to discuss this with him. He's big on keeping your word of showing up for OT...

Just honks me off they pull this crap then there's no consequences for this. When a couple of graveyard people did it, they were threatened with suspension...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 06:16 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I agree. And as a manager, it horks me off when people sign up for overtime and then decide they don't want it. I understand that emergencies happen, but frequently people decide they have better things to do.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:29 PM

724 posts, read 530,125 times
Your managers are morons if they don’t hire enough people and have regular OT all the time.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:19 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
Your managers are morons if they don’t hire enough people and have regular OT all the time.
Depends. Sometimes paying overtime is cheaper over the course of a year than hiring more people, once you factor in benefits, etc.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:54 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
So, I'm off from work at 7:30 am. Tuesday morning I spoke with the supervisor and he said "Dayshift took it all, so none for us"... Ok, sometimes I do want the overtime, but since it was filled, then no worries.

So, 1 pm I am in my vehicle drinking coffee, eating doughnut and pondering Fri-Sat night revelry. Phone rings "Oh we have 3 positions available, Dayshift backed out"....I reply "Tough $%^&* I was told they took them. Tell them to work them or be fired for failure to show for work. I have been up all day and there's no chance for me to get enough sleep to make a 12 hr shift"

I'll approach the supervisor and if that's not enough, the President and since we're having the company picnic next week and he's grill chief, I'll have the chance to discuss this with him. He's big on keeping your word of showing up for OT...

Just honks me off they pull this crap then there's no consequences for this. When a couple of graveyard people did it, they were threatened with suspension...
What are they telling you you had to work, or just giving you the opportunity to get OT if you wanted it? It’s really not clear from your post.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:56 AM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times
what is the question?

Old 06-22-2019, 11:17 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,092 times
Quote:
My company's been hiring 0.4 - 0. 8 FTE and casual workers constantly. People came and went away very fast because for 0.4 to 0.6 it's not worth it to come to work if you have to take buses, or city trains for 1 - 1.5 hours for transportation each way; and the workloads are overbearing.

There are many employees who are very responsible and reliable. Others are opposite.

I used to do scheduling before, many employees picked up some shifts (long ahead of time), and they called in to cancel those shifts the day before or a few hours before the shift with the reason "family emergency". And that happened all the times.

And there were employees calling in to beg for shifts, and when I needed them and called them, they said they were not available that day, or someone was even very honest and said "oh, I have an appointment to do my hair today. I cannot come." LOL. Yeah, doing your hair is more important than to come to work when we really need you. Okay.

Eventually, I kept calling who often liked to pick up shifts and kept their word when they said yes and came in. I stopped calling those who often said no or picked up and cancelled. It's very time consuming and wasting with those employees. It's like they just want to keep their position in the company, but they don't really care for the company. I understand that many people work two three jobs or are busy somewhere else, but they should not complain to the HR or the higher-up that the schedulers did not call them. We explained the situations to the HR, and they agreed with us.

Some people are very irresponsible, disrespectful and don't care about others at work at all.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 06-22-2019 at 11:29 AM..

Old 06-22-2019, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What are they telling you you had to work, or just giving you the opportunity to get OT if you wanted it? It’s really not clear from your post.
Really? So, I'm off from work at 7:30 am. Tuesday morning I spoke with the supervisor and he said "Dayshift took it all, so none for us"... Ok, sometimes I do want the overtime, but since it was filled, then no worries.

I can't understand why anyone would think this wasn't clear....

Old 06-22-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
what is the question?
Was there one?

Old 06-22-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
We have enough, we also have people who change their minds and get away with backing out of commitments.

We also have a set weekend shift and there's times when we have to add a few positions for the weekend.

The funny thing was they started this weekend shift to cut down the OT for the regular shifts. Yet they still add 2-4 positions due to a sudden order they "Forgot" to allocate workers for during the week and thus.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment