Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 01:55 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Clear as mud. You said you were called up and told "3 positions available". That suggests you are simply being offered not required to work. No reason for you to sound off like a hothead. Just say "no thanks".
Well, guess you need better glasses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 01:56 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

Guess you need a better job, lol.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:57 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,045,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do you understand how salary and benefits impact budgeting? It is frequently cheaper to have X amount of scheduled overtime rather than another full time person.
OT is ok for surge operations. But if your having it constantly, that's a sign of understaffing, regardless of what finance might think. You can only work people so hard for so long before they either find another job, or God forbid, something bad happens. Then everyone wants to blame the guy who fell asleep or who missed a step. But it was management decisions that put that overly tired person in that position in the first place.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:58 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And yet, still not clear

telling you that you HAVE to work? or calling to say "hey, we have some OT available after all, did you want to pick up some hours?"

If it's the former and they were telling you that you have to work, why wouldn't they tell the people who had originally signed up for the OT that they HAD to work? How is your employment situation different in that OT is not optional for you but is for others?
Quote:
Presumably the OT involves work where being able to communicate effectively is not a prime responsibility

Old 06-22-2019, 01:59 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And yet, still not clear

telling you that you HAVE to work? or calling to say "hey, we have some OT available after all, did you want to pick up some hours?"

If it's the former and they were telling you that you have to work, why wouldn't they tell the people who had originally signed up for the OT that they HAD to work? How is your employment situation different in that OT is no optional for you but is for others?
Did I say I was told I had to?

Old 06-23-2019, 08:38 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
my job, if your project working so are you, no choice, so it been common for me to go 7/12 for 18 months, done it couple time. in fact my project working today (sunday) but he call when he needs me, five miles away. so i can goof off at the house till needed.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:07 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
They were calling me to cover the dirtbags who changed their minds....
I am happy I have a Union. This sort of thing would never happen without consequences.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post

Paying OT is always cheaper than hiring full time with benefits. Nothing hard to understand about that. Most employees however have no idea how much their benefits cost the company.
^ I try to explain this to my co workers when we have our Summer surge and Holiday surges. It is still cheaper for the Company to pay out OT and Double time than to hire a few people.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:40 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I am happy I have a Union. This sort of thing would never happen without consequences.
Just offering someone an extra shift wouldn’t happen with a union? They didn’t tell him he had to work, they told him shifts were available if he wanted one.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just offering someone an extra shift wouldn’t happen with a union? They didn’t tell him he had to work, they told him shifts were available if he wanted one.
No, it would not happen with a Union.

It is all about seniority. IF one wants an OT shift, they sign a sheet the day before, and if available it gets assigned. You change your mind, you are penalized. You can't offer someone an extra shift and ignore the seniority list. It stays organized and fair.

Last edited by GiGi603; 06-24-2019 at 05:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment