U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 05:39 PM

78,509 posts, read 70,430,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
All industries are spurring new hiring. The job market is ablaze with countless opportunities for good and mediocre workers all over the place. Everyone who wants a job at any level can have one. Unemployment is at historic lows. Anyone who believes otherwise is just a nutty conspiracy theorist. Why? Because I said so.
New Mexico is one area that never really recovered from the recession. That's starting to turn around, as the film industry is picking up. The state just concluded a contract with some production company to open a big studio in Albuquerque. Otherwise, aside from the usual state jobs and higher education, it's a service economy, whether in retail food service, art sales, eldercare, hospitality, and so forth. The tech sector hasn't grown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 06:06 PM

1,663 posts, read 547,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Its better than the Bush/Obama eras. I wouldn't say its better than it has been in decades. LOL. Again, Its easy to spout the "Great Economy" BS. But people don't dive into the specific and asking the greater questions of the quality and job security of these jobs. Are they just flavor of the month BS Jobs until the next administration takes over? Are they permatemp scam jobs etc?

Its all relative. Comparing yourself to 2006-2012. You may as well compare yourself to a turd. Theres only one way to go up but UP when you're as low as you can go as a nation. Doesn't mean you're Great by any stretch of the imagination.

Years ago you could support a family of 3-4 on the created jobs. The ones being created today, its hard enough to support yourself
A few things. First, do you have any statistics to back up what you're saying? Second, if you think a job is a scam, report the company to the better business bureau. Third, why do you think temp jobs are more prevalent now?

Statistically, factually, the labor market is stronger now than it has been in several decades. Leaving emotional responses at the door, provide statistics (not anecdotes) proving that wrong.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:48 PM

3,529 posts, read 1,344,614 times
With the unemployment being at all time lows, what is the new industry that has spurred all the hiring?
nothing NEW. healthcare.
Or better yet, what industry has returned after being done away with which created the high number of unemployed?
do not understand the exact simple question.
Or has the labor participation rate still very high, and the unemployment numbers just not accurate in painting the pictures?
hard to understand what the ONE exact question is.
Seriously, what are people doing these days to make ends meet?
where? in Ireland?
Are all the STEM majors past and present all now at jobs suitable for their level of education?
no.
too easy.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:25 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
The truth is is that not too long ago we were in a huge, deep recession. And I think this whole time, until very recently, we were just in recovery. I was not working before the recession, but I think we are much closer to a “back to normal” phase regarding our employment rates. This isn’t to say we are doing well, because I don’t think we are at our very best, but that we are just getting by. Most jobs are still underpaid, and affording basic necessities is harder now than it has ever been for the average person, and so our economy is not swell. The jobs we are getting are not paying affordable wages for their respective areas. Jobs that are well-paying and growing are still locking people out by A) high education requirements and/or B) requiring years of experience for entry-level positions. For example the other day I saw a job paying 36k that wanted a Master’s and 5 years of experience in an area that is definitely average to high COL. What a joke.

So I wouldn’t specifically name an industry, as I think all industries try to underpay their employees and squeeze them for profit margin or savings, heck even in the public sector I know that happens too.

Also do statistics still not count people who have just chosen to “give up” and stop searching? Are we not counting those who are considered underemployed?

Old 06-23-2019, 07:13 AM

3,721 posts, read 3,917,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post

Also do statistics still not count people who have just chosen to “give up” and stop searching? Are we not counting those who are considered underemployed?

Good point.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:54 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,291,041 times
Michigan has a big shortage in skilled tradesmen, but it seems that today’s youth don’t want to break a sweat or get their hands dirty. I know electricians that are making over $80,000 a year and some plumbers making well over that, skilled tradesmen will never be obsolete. Will always need carpenters to build homes or apartments, electricians and plumbers to put POW and water to these houses and repair them.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:25 PM

15,043 posts, read 3,983,077 times
Services - most of them relatively low paid and low benefits.

For example, in Florida there is relatively full employment, yet 46% of the populace there is not making it (studies - they cannot cover the basics).....

So much for the falsehood about "jobs jobs jobs" being the solution for things. Florida maintains a super-low minimum wages also.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:34 PM

15,043 posts, read 3,983,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
All industries are spurring new hiring. The job market is ablaze with countless opportunities for good and mediocre workers all over the place. Everyone who wants a job at any level can have one. Unemployment is at historic lows. Anyone who believes otherwise is just a nutty conspiracy theorist. Why? Because I said so.
I don't think anyone doubts that. But, as my stat shows (46% of Floridians not making it), a job doesn't mean a life.....not nearly. I volunteer in Florida and get into just about every neighborhood. I was there for at least five years before I had any idea all these people existed!

Yep, they live in sheds behind houses, ancient rusted mobile homes and real homes (rented), often broken up into various apartments. Some live in public housing complexes....and most all (the younger folks) go to work every day. But they aren't making it and they sure are not living the American Dream.

Many decent jobs - if you want to do them in Florida you must accept a 40% or larger cut in pay - so it's not true at all that it's easy to get "good" or higher paying jobs. It depends on where you are located.

As far as statements about the best ever - that would seem to tie in with stuff like that productivity has tripled while wages are stagnant - and that more people have had to put off retirement and that more (now) are being dropped from the health care rolls.

We could truly say that virtually every month from 2009 to the present we've had the "lowest unemployment ever", but there is certainly never a point where .1% lower makes a big difference. On the other hand, the cut in 1/2 from 9% to 4.5% - that's a difference.

But, yeah, I feel bad for the average worker....unless they really have the education, connections, skills, etc. it's likely they are basically living week to week...for their entire lives.

Old 06-23-2019, 01:45 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
We have a lot of advertised vacancies where I am, but that doesn’t mean the vacancies are being filled. At least where I am, there’s a large segment of the potential labor force that is drug addicted, illiterate, won’t show up, etc. We don’t pay well enough to attract people from out of the area.

The result is a lot unfilled vacancies and management complaining about an untrainable/bad labor force, while also not paying well enough or having good enough working conditions to attract or even retain quality talent. The answer is somewhere in the middle.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:41 PM

19,868 posts, read 14,217,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
With the unemployment being at all time lows, what is the new industry that has spurred all the hiring?
None that I'm aware.

I thought AI was supposed to ruin everything.

If you had ever bothered to read BLS job projections, 2 out of 3 jobs will be "created" by retiring Boomers though about 2030.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Or has the labor participation rate still very high, and the unemployment numbers just not accurate in painting the pictures?
What's wrong with the Labor Force Participation Rate?

If you had ever bothered to read BLS labor force projection published in the 1990s along with economic papers published by people like Greg Mankiw, then you would know everyone was predicting lower Labor Force Participation Rates due to changing demographics, namely, Boomers retiring.

It's not a State secret, and everyone knew it decades in advance, so it shouldn't be a shock to anyone even remotely informed.

I sure hope you don't expect my 84-year old father to get a job just so you can feel good about the Labor Force Participation Rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or