U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:19 PM

785 posts, read 481,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

Also, get an email address on mail.com (it has 200 domains) so you get a nice professional looking email solely for your job search. What looks more professional? firstnamelastname2093423@freewebsitemail.com or firstname.lastname@consultant.com

You can see the difference it makes.

None whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 09:22 PM

2,487 posts, read 708,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriftinthebay View Post
^ guys like this will always discourage others from following their intuitions or dreams. Ignore them.
Yes. Ignore good advice. Bankruptcy attorneys love you.

Since you believe that it is OK for others to lose their life savings, why not just cut me a check for your life savings?

Old 07-15-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
OK so everyone saying that I have to stay in my job because it's more attractive to recruiters. Why does no one seem interested if I have a job or not?
Hold on.

Do you CURRENTLY have a job or not? Sounds like you already do have a job.

If you have a job, you have an advantage over the unemployed jobseeker due to employers discriminating against the unemployed.

Quote:
You have to be FAST and I can't do that with a job.
Even if you apply at the end of the day, you've still got the advantage due to your "passive candidate" advantage.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
None whatsoever.
I'm assuming you used something professional looking like firstname.lastname@domain.com

Old 07-18-2019, 02:31 AM

1,094 posts, read 631,410 times
Okay so our management has been reporting failed targets to our customer for the last several weeks and the way things are looking they're never going to be on track again. Instead of trying to solve the problem, managers have resorted to the "let's find people to blame" game. No-one's pointing fingers at me, but it's obvious that the job is a farce and things have completely fallen apart.

I plan to throw in the towel tomorrow. Anyone feel like talking me out of it?

Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 AM

215 posts, read 77,432 times
I quit a toxic job once without another job. However, I knew I would never last in the environment so for about a year I worked on lining up free lance jobs on the weekend. When I was totally fed up I left the job and did free lance work for a year. It was not easy but the relief of not having to go into work the Monday after I quit was amazing. I woke up, went outside and sat in the sun with the newspaper and just felt wonderful that I did not have to go in and put up with my boss from hell. Just as a side note, I knew a guy that quit where I worked once and he had no job lined up. He got a temp job that worked into full time, and he never would have found that without taking the jump to quit. So sometimes leaving a toxic workplace is the best move, no matter what.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:59 AM

6,901 posts, read 7,306,042 times
Quote:
Anyone feel like talking me out of it?
No. This thread has gone on for 10 pages, with most people saying don't quit without another job to go to.

Do what you want.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:10 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,891,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
I plan to throw in the towel tomorrow. Anyone feel like talking me out of it?
Nope! To recap, *I* would never do it, but for me, but I'm more insecure since it's been harder to find work.

I've heard of plenty of stories, and seen firsthand others do it, and for THEM, it was definitely the right call. The "don't quit without another job lined up" isn't quite the "absolute rule" we made it out to be.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:41 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,684,655 times
Savings is not to be looked at as life savings. It goes up, it goes down. As long as you you have at least 2,000 and then get another job you'll be fine.

Old 07-20-2019, 10:34 AM

215 posts, read 77,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Savings is not to be looked at as life savings. It goes up, it goes down. As long as you you have at least 2,000 and then get another job you'll be fine.

I jumped ship when I had $5,000 saved in the bank. I knew I could make my rent and expenses for a few months, and I had weekend free lance gigs lined up. The job I had was just horrible with my boss yelling and screaming at me (and others). I found out after I quit he was a coke head and the reason he was so angry was he had been up all night snorting blow. Of course the upper management never did anything to him, no matter what he did. So the best thing for me to do was quit, and one day I was just fed up and left. I have never regretted it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or