U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 11:40 AM

1,675 posts, read 550,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
lol ok bro. You're a real survivor alright.
I'm interested in hearing your plan to get food and shelter without paying for them.

Educate us, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 12:19 PM

1,091 posts, read 627,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
... you can't put your full energy into job hunting while working fulltime. If you get the call for an interview, they expect you to come when the time is good for them and then you have to hope you can suddenly take off work during that time slot. And then what if they want you to come in for a 2nd or 3rd interview? I've tried for two years to find new work just being very selective and looking for that right opportunity. Unfortunately, there is so much competition out there that it don't work that way anymore. Unless you have inside connections, finding a new job requires mass applications, sending out dozens and dozens of resumes and going to countless interviews.
Yeah, this is another major problem to contend with. Funny I even tried to advise someone else here on the same issue not long ago. It's so disruptive, uncomfortable and impractical, and considering the vast numbers of applications I've already made, not forgetting how competitive the market is, it might be time to make landing a new job to BE my new job.

Getting more and more miserable every day has been a recipe for disaster. The workload is crazy, so either I do 15 hours overtime or I'm having to deal with constant urgent problems. I come home and can't concentrate properly. So I say screw it and go for anything out of desperation. Finally I get exhausted, give up, then suddenly it's another Monday morning and I'm like... holy sh*% this is still happening??

And I refuse to get laid off again. I really hated that when it happened before and never want to go through that again. Being a victim of circumstance is humiliating and there's no reason to go through it again, especially when you can see it from a nautical mile away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
There's nothing wrong with moving to another job if the one you have isn't working out, but quitting with no plan isn't smart.
It's not quitting without a plan. My plan is to continue researching and applying for jobs until I drop, as has been the last few months. The minute I hit unemployment, it will change to sending vast numbers of applications for temporary jobs, turning up for interviews and getting work. This will be a new phase because I'll still have to try and find permanent work but thank the good Lord I will no longer be where I was before. I also "plan" to spend a significant amount of time drunk should I retrieve any kind of success at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I'm interested in hearing your plan to get food and shelter without paying for them.
Wanna hear something neat? All 3 line managers in this department live with their parents. And 2 of them have kids who live in separate addresses. Hope that answered your question.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:32 PM

13,012 posts, read 6,224,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furboll View Post
You hit the nail on the head; work is interfering with you looking for work. And it seems like you see the writing on the wall. If the company is doing badly and everyone else is leaving, then you should leave if you need to as well.
So true. Work interferes looking for other work. When I was doing temp work, I tried to find full-time work at the same time. However, it involved taking time off from my temp job, and since it was a temp job, I didn't get paid for time off. I couldn't afford to keep doing that. Very frustrating...

That's why about after a year of temping, I took a break to have time to devote to looking for a permanent full-time job.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:28 PM

4,074 posts, read 2,938,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post

Educate us, please.
You all seemed to gloss over the OP clearly stating he has several months of living expenses to live off of.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:14 PM

1,675 posts, read 550,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Wanna hear something neat? All 3 line managers in this department live with their parents. And 2 of them have kids who live in separate addresses. Hope that answered your question.
So the plan is to leech off of aging parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You all seemed to gloss over the OP clearly stating he has several months of living expenses to live off of.
You seem to have glossed over that I wasn't responding to OP in the post you quoted. And regarding OP, three months is nothing, especially when voluntarily making a job search more difficult like this.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:24 PM

2,053 posts, read 595,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
The company is also doing so badly that redundancies are looking possible in the next 6 months.
Wait for the layoff. If you quit you get nothing.

At the end of the day you'll have to choose between $$$ and Pride/Sanity. Unfortunately you'll be even more dissatisfied not having any money come in. Even if I had 12 months saved up I would prefer to get fired.

Burn out, get terminated and get unemployment (and potentially some severance if laid off).

Old 06-24-2019, 05:53 PM

6,875 posts, read 7,273,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
That's why about after a year of temping, I took a break to have time to devote to looking for a permanent full-time job.
So.....how long did it take you to find a full-time job that you thought was as close to the ideal you'd hoped for?

And, OP, please hang in there and don't quit! Just ratchet up the search. But don't leave with no job to go to.
All that's been said about the difficulties of being an unemployed job seeker are true.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:27 PM

2,410 posts, read 687,207 times
Employers discriminate against people who are out of work.

And when they find out you QUIT, they're even LESS likely to hire you.

Unless your life is in danger or you're at risk of being arrested, DO NOT quit a job without having another lined up.

Employers LOVE passive candidates and you are at an ADVANTAGE to apply for jobs while you are employed.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:54 PM

13,012 posts, read 6,224,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
So.....how long did it take you to find a full-time job that you thought was as close to the ideal you'd hoped for?

And, OP, please hang in there and don't quit! Just ratchet up the search. But don't leave with no job to go to.
All that's been said about the difficulties of being an unemployed job seeker are true.
When I took a break from temping, I found a job in less than a week. It paid better than the one I quit and ended up working for the best boss I ever had.

Old 06-25-2019, 12:51 AM

6,875 posts, read 7,273,507 times
^^ I'm glad it worked out for you. But TBH, I hope that doesn't give false hope to the OP, who'd still have VERY long odds if s/he quits without a new job.

OP, please keep us posted with updates. I've worked jobs that I hated. So I really do sympathize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or