U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 06:13 AM

1,091 posts, read 627,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Employers LOVE passive candidates and you are at an ADVANTAGE to apply for jobs while you are employed.
OK so why haven't they been biting the last few months? I've had 2 interviews out of 150+ applications. They both turned me down and were both only the first interviews anyway of what would be more rounds of interviews and assessments.

There's also the huge amount of time I've spent re-designing my resume, researching companies and locations, etc. Recruiters don't want to know in weeks or days, they want answers in hours and minutes. You have to be fast as hell. How can I be competitive if I'm already working 50 hours against the younger, more energetic and the more desperate who are already unemployed?

The reality is I don't have serious connections and without them it's an uphill battle, let alone being angry and upset all day. It's really hitting me, this isn't just something I can sneak past with a few hours a night. It looks like QUITTING would be the advantage. QUITTING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Burn out, get terminated and get unemployment (and potentially some severance if laid off).
I'm already burned out. That was 6 months back. Emotions kind of have credit cards - you can only borrow so much. There's so much conflict that I've turned mean and ugly as well as miserable. Ok I might be a screwup or whatever, but there's no real reason how it had to end like this other than tolerating what should never have been tolerated.

Let me give you an example. We have a database which I like to call the "postmodern database". Because, like the Matrix, nothing is actually real. The structure of our software is commanded by people with no experience, qualifications, or understanding of how computer programs work, so our documentation is in endless turmoil. There's no way to understand what's real. Whenever it couldn't be any more ridiculous, the middle management will invent a new way to make it even more senseless. And they've even left me with new recruits to train them on it. It's so embarrassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 06:14 AM

1,893 posts, read 803,890 times
I think people that leave jobs without other ones lined due to "not being able to take it" are emotionally soft and not thinking logically or rationally. Finding a new job shouldn't take that long if you have a career and are a good employee. Maybe your boss/employers treats you bad in your view because you are not valued for a legitimate reason. If you have trouble finding another job, then that is evidence it is you and not your employer. If the majority of people at your company are not having these same issues, then there is a good chance its you. We had a family friends who was kind of like this. Was never happy and couldn't keep a job. She was the most negative always complaining person I ever met. And of course it was never her.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:37 AM

4,073 posts, read 2,938,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
So the plan is to leech off of aging parents?

You seem to have glossed over that I wasn't responding to OP in the post you quoted. And regarding OP, three months is nothing, especially when voluntarily making a job search more difficult like this.
You seemed to also gloss over the part where he clearly stated he has "deeper savings" in addition to the 3 months of living expenses.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:22 AM

636 posts, read 238,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You seemed to also gloss over the part where he clearly stated he has "deeper savings" in addition to the 3 months of living expenses.
We don't know what those "deeper savings" are. Is it 1 month? 12 months? A lot of us are just pointing out that relying on savings is still a risky endeavor. Many companies drag their feet on hiring, and some (at least in my field) get suspicious when you say you quit without a job lined up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
OK so why haven't they been biting the last few months? I've had 2 interviews out of 150+ applications. They both turned me down and were both only the first interviews anyway of what would be more rounds of interviews and assessments.
It's frustrating but such is the state of job applications. If you're truly qualified for the jobs for which you're applying, you might need to make sure your resume has the keywords necessary. It's possible that a human isn't even looking at before it gets automatically filtered out.

Quote:
There's also the huge amount of time I've spent re-designing my resume, researching companies and locations, etc. Recruiters don't want to know in weeks or days, they want answers in hours and minutes. You have to be fast as hell. How can I be competitive if I'm already working 50 hours against the younger, more energetic and the more desperate who are already unemployed?
Call the recruiters back during your lunch break? I feel ya, though; it's still tough. I was working 55-60 hours per week at my last job and having to job search on top of that was no picnic. You really just have to squeeze it in. Also, keep in mind that a lot of recruiters are flaky time-wasters anyways.
Quote:
The reality is I don't have serious connections and without them it's an uphill battle, let alone being angry and upset all day. It's really hitting me, this isn't just something I can sneak past with a few hours a night. It looks like QUITTING would be the advantage. QUITTING!
How would quitting give you an advantage in getting connections? Have you formed a plan of HOW to meet those people first?

Last edited by BrianGC; 06-25-2019 at 07:33 AM..

Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 AM

1,675 posts, read 550,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
To be clear, you think dipping into longer term savings without needing to is something to encourage, especially when making a decision such as quitting without having a job lined up (that will make a job search more difficult and more likely to result in a lower salary)?

I accept your apology for missing the fact I wasn't even responding to OP

Old 06-25-2019, 07:27 AM

1,675 posts, read 550,083 times
Quote:

What is your current strategy/plan for networking? How many hours/week do you spend building relationships and getting to know people who can help you find jobs? Sending resumes blindly (not having networked to the point where you already know someone at that company) is typically a strategy that does not produce results when job hunting.

By the time someone gets your resume, someone at that company should already know your story and vouch for you.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:33 AM

2,410 posts, read 687,207 times
Quote:
What's your location and job role?

Quote:
Is your resume ATS optimized? There are plenty of free ATS optimization tools. If your resume is not ATS optimized, when you apply for a job, your resume may not appear correctly to the hiring manager and maybe that's why you're not getting nibbles.

Also, add keywords to your job descriptions. Keywords that include the technologies, tasks, etc. you were using in your job.

Example:

NinjaCo, Tokyo, Japan
Ninja

[job description]
Keywords: stealth, nunchucks, swords

Also, get an email address on mail.com (it has 200 domains) so you get a nice professional looking email solely for your job search. What looks more professional? firstnamelastname2093423@freewebsitemail.com or firstname.lastname@consultant.com

You can see the difference it makes.

Quote:

Get a Linkedin profile and fill it out fully. Include a great picture. Start looking for companies in your area and connect to their HR and recruiters. Connect with LIONs (linked in open networkers) and get over 500+ connections so you are at the top of the recruiters search results. Also, mark your profile as "open to recruiters"

Also there are plenty of Linkedin groups you can join. Join a group and network in the various groups.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 AM

4,073 posts, read 2,938,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
To be clear, you think dipping into longer term savings without needing to is something to encourage, especially when making a decision such as quitting without having a job lined up (that will make a job search more difficult and more likely to result in a lower salary)?

I accept your apology for missing the fact I wasn't even responding to OP
When it comes to being completely miserable so much so that it is affecting one's health, absolutely. If OP didn't have any savings then he would need to suck it up. Emergency savings are there for a reason, for emergencies. If OP is becoming ill, depressed, etc. this qualifies as an emergency. Nothing stopping him from getting a "regular" job to make ends meet in the interim.

I really don't care who you are/were talking to, your point was still invalid.

Old 06-25-2019, 10:07 AM

4,003 posts, read 2,605,489 times
If the OP has sent out 150 applications and only received 2 interviews (and zero offers), it looks like it may take him months to find something. He could go though all the money he has saved especially if he is hit with an unexpected bill like a big car repair or heaven forbid, serious medical issue. Health insurance is another issue if the OP doesn't find something quickly. COBRA is usually very expensive.

OP can you take a week of vacation and use it to focus on your job search. I understand you hate your current situation but since you haven't found anything in 2 months, I think quitting without something lined up would be a mistake.

Hope you find something soon.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:43 AM

2,053 posts, read 595,941 times
Quote:
Let me give you an example. We have a database which I like to call the "postmodern database". Because, like the Matrix, nothing is actually real. The structure of our software is commanded by people with no experience, qualifications, or understanding of how computer programs work, so our documentation is in endless turmoil. There's no way to understand what's real. Whenever it couldn't be any more ridiculous, the middle management will invent a new way to make it even more senseless. And they've even left me with new recruits to train them on it. It's so embarrassing.
OP we're in the same boat. I am now the victim of this exact situation. However, do not quit. I have also sent out 100 apps with 2 interviews and gotten radio silence and a decline to proceed further. If you're unemployed it's going to be even more of a struggle.

I have what is considered to be very impressive experience yet still get people poking holes in my background. It's all a game to them they just want to see what reasons not to hire me. (Yet they are the ones who contacted me in the first place) Now imagine if I quit willingly with nothing lined up. It doesn't matter I have gotten promoted recently. The fact is the only thing that matters is the superficial. If you're not working now it "doesn't look good". They can't explain why and don't care about your sanity or mental health.

Needing to leave "on a good note" went out in the 90's. As a prior poster said it has never been more difficult to get a new job even when perfectly qualified. I can't say this enough. LET THEM FIRE YOU.

As the economy gets worse, expect hiring to tighten even more to the point of where if you're unemployed you'll have 0.000000% chance of getting hired again. Don't willingly join the ranks of the unemployed.

This is no longer about career satisfaction. This is about survival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or