U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2019, 12:21 PM
 
1,703 posts, read 557,435 times
Reputation: 3605

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
When it comes to being completely miserable so much so that it is affecting one's health, absolutely. If OP didn't have any savings then he would need to suck it up. Emergency savings are there for a reason, for emergencies. If OP is becoming ill, depressed, etc. this qualifies as an emergency. Nothing stopping him from getting a "regular" job to make ends meet in the interim.

I really don't care who you are/were talking to, your point was still invalid.
True, it IS easy to claim people's points are invalid when you read them out of context. Again, it's OK that you misread my post and didn't realize what conversation thread I was responding to. Come on, this is just silly at this point.

Being unhappy at your job isn't an emergency. Suck it up, keep working and apply for jobs in the evenings and weekends. Quitting without another job is the emotional reaction, not the intelligent one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2019, 04:27 PM
 
13,085 posts, read 6,246,325 times
Reputation: 10858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I think people that leave jobs without other ones lined due to "not being able to take it" are emotionally soft and not thinking logically or rationally. Finding a new job shouldn't take that long if you have a career and are a good employee. Maybe your boss/employers treats you bad in your view because you are not valued for a legitimate reason. If you have trouble finding another job, then that is evidence it is you and not your employer. If the majority of people at your company are not having these same issues, then there is a good chance its you. We had a family friends who was kind of like this. Was never happy and couldn't keep a job. She was the most negative always complaining person I ever met. And of course it was never her.
Don't make a blanket statement about everybody in that situation Doing so, is just flat out wrong.

I am not "emotionally soft". If you had read my posts, you would have seen that I was planning to tough it out until we were ready to start a family. In my case, I was faced with having a bad review on my record. It was truly a case of being blind-sided. All of the feedback I was given, I took to heart. In the review, there were things they were complaining about that, had they come to me at the time, it was something that could have been easily corrected. For example, the boss would routinely tell me to call another department and tell them she wanted X. I would call the department and say she wanted X and they would come back with, "Well, has she done Y"? I would have no idea. They would tell me that she needed to call them. I would tell her to call them. On my review, she wrote that I wasn't "assertive". It had nothing to do with being "assertive" and I explained why to her. There was more petty stuff that I won't go into here. Before this job, I had always received excellent reviews where I worked. There was no way that I was going to allow this review to go on record. The boss said she would clean it up but I didn't trust that. I wasn't alone in the way I was treated by her.

Are you aware that there are good workers out there---talented, experienced, responsible, polite---who get passed over because of their looks? There have been studies done that show a beautiful woman or handsome man tends to get hired quickly even though they often don't have enough experience, while average looking or overweight people with more experience get passed over? So, your claim that everybody should easily find a new job and if they can't, it's all their fault is bogus.

I ended up finding a better job when I took a break from temping and ended up getting paid more. Plus I had the best boss I ever had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 05:27 PM
 
2,075 posts, read 602,953 times
Reputation: 2948
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
There was no way that I was going to allow this review to go on record.
Who cares about a record these days. My record at a previous company said I needed improvement yet they still reached out to me years later asking if I was interested in a position. No one looks at that stuff they are all disorganized and either way it will be a different person years from now, and they wont' care what some stranger wrote 4 years prior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 06:13 PM
 
13,085 posts, read 6,246,325 times
Reputation: 10858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Who cares about a record these days. My record at a previous company said I needed improvement yet they still reached out to me years later asking if I was interested in a position. No one looks at that stuff they are all disorganized and either way it will be a different person years from now, and they wont' care what some stranger wrote 4 years prior.
This happened to me some years ago. Back then, people did care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2019, 06:57 PM
 
Location: U.S.A., Earth
4,496 posts, read 2,885,789 times
Reputation: 4013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Clear but wrong. Get another job first, even if its washing cars or flipping burgers. You won't know the meaning of "degraded" until your money has run out and you still can't find work because you aren't working.
... this isn't something that can be broadly applied to everything. The same HM who look down on the unemployed can also be the ones who look down on those who take "inferior jobs". Especially if you're a professional. I've heard firsthand and in general online that if you're an unemployed lawyer, software developer, nurse, accountant, or engineer... folding sweaters, brewing coffee, stocking shelves, flipping burgers, or manning a cash register doesn't automatically give you a leg up over others seeking the same job is you. Sure, you might get an employer who admires someone who "works any job", but they can just as easily hire the unemployed guy since his skill sets are a much better fit.


Also, many people take higher paying jobs that require 10+ years of experience, 4-year college degrees, handful of certifications, in-depth industry knowledge, military experience, etc., BECAUSE they want to get paid more. Unless you live in a low CoL area and don't have other expenses like loans to pay back, support kids, support a spouse, etc., those jobs aren't going to pay enough to make it worth your while. It's like when your car breaks down. If you're REALLY desperate, then walk to your destination. Otherwise, fix it, or find another means to get a ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 05:36 AM
 
Location: South Africa
55 posts, read 12,516 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
Don't leave until you have a written letter elsewhere.
id love to say just go, but I have to agree with this statement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 06:24 AM
 
4,089 posts, read 2,954,089 times
Reputation: 7099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
True, it IS easy to claim people's points are invalid when you read them out of context. Again, it's OK that you misread my post and didn't realize what conversation thread I was responding to. Come on, this is just silly at this point.

Being unhappy at your job isn't an emergency. Suck it up, keep working and apply for jobs in the evenings and weekends. Quitting without another job is the emotional reaction, not the intelligent one.
It's all good.

I just think if someone is so miserable they are literally getting physically ill it's time to quit. I know that might not be the safest thing to do financially but personally I value my health (mental and physical) over all things. I'd rather run through my savings and have to start that all over again if I am so dreading going into work that I get myself physically ill. Life is too short.....I fully understand why some people do not/would not do that, but I'm unsure if those people have been in such a job before (I have).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2019, 10:08 AM
 
Location: U.S.A., Earth
4,496 posts, read 2,885,789 times
Reputation: 4013
I've known people who can quit and find work within 3 months (1 month at times). Others... 2 to 12 months. Everyone needs to consider their situation.... money saved up, can just move in with family or friends, etc.

This reminds me of threads we get when people ask if they should move first, THEN look for work locally. Here, I'm the same way... I MUCH prefer to have a job lined up before leaving my current one. I MUCH PREFER to have a job offer, in writing, before making the move to that area.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I think people that leave jobs without other ones lined due to "not being able to take it" are emotionally soft and not thinking logically or rationally. Finding a new job shouldn't take that long if you have a career and are a good employee. Maybe your boss/employers treats you bad in your view because you are not valued for a legitimate reason. If you have trouble finding another job, then that is evidence it is you and not your employer. If the majority of people at your company are not having these same issues, then there is a good chance its you. We had a family friends who was kind of like this. Was never happy and couldn't keep a job. She was the most negative always complaining person I ever met. And of course it was never her.
It needs to be considered on a case-by-case basis (which is generally difficult to do on an internet forum). If it's a case of "they don't smile or say 'good morning' to me", to me, that wouldn't surpass that "threshold".

OTOH, I've had a job where a project manager was way in over his head. He texted a coworker on a Friday saying if he didn't come in on Monday, he's not coming back ever. He didn't come in on Monday. I heard that he was really getting swamped with work and demands, and that no amount of health insurance would fix that.

In another case, someone said a young female employee quit. 'Just like that'. Turns out, she, a woman in her 20s, was getting hit on by male managers in their 40s to 60s. One of them even made lewd commnets like "I bet she can ride it rough".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 12:20 PM
 
1,093 posts, read 630,021 times
Reputation: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
This is no longer about career satisfaction. This is about survival.
Let me put this into perspective. With my total combined facilities of debit and credit, and with no injury or sudden bills, I could survive four, maybe five years with no income whatsoever. I'm not bragging, it's because I've made difficult and uncomfortable life sacrifices to save money. And I spent a year and a half of my adult life in homeless hostels - that is survival.

Every month spent here is another month of opportunities wasted. How is anyone supposed to compete with people firing off their resumes 9 hours a day when I can barely fit in 3. And being fired wouldn't be a great choice. People here get around because they know you, and being fired would be throwing away my reputation. Leaving on good terms so they could be a potential contingency if all else failed is the better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Being unhappy at your job isn't an emergency. Suck it up, keep working and apply for jobs in the evenings and weekends. Quitting without another job is the emotional reaction, not the intelligent one.
Is it intelligent for someone to do something that they don't want to do, and get very little from, for someone they don't like, which they don't have to do? To me it seems like a pretty stupid choice after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 08:34 PM
 
2,451 posts, read 699,218 times
Reputation: 3433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
How is anyone supposed to compete with people firing off their resumes 9 hours a day when I can barely fit in 3.

Employers discriminate against the unemployed. Employers LOVE passive candidates who already have a job.

How are you supposed to compete against "passive candidates" and have a leg up on the competition while you are out of work because you quit without another job lined up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top