U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 03:57 AM

6,521 posts, read 2,920,593 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the responses.

For those who are saying I am still an employee and obligated to give my job 100% of my focus, you are better people than I am. I have a family to help support and a son starting college in a few years, and my #1 priority is providing for my family. There is no loyalty anymore- my company certainly shows none to long-term, hardworking employees.

Some people get their notice as non-working. That would have been nice. It's incredibly awkward telling people what happened as I transition my work to coworkers. I've already had to go through it a dozen times. Uncomfortable for me and for the person on the other end who still has a job. I have no resentment toward them- they're all just trying to get by.

I already have my first interview set up and am working very hard to find something quickly. I am getting a large enough severance and have enough savings to cover myself for a few years if I wanted, but that's not me. I have never been out of work and the idea doesn't appeal until I am ready for what is hopefully an early retirement.

I'm being professional in all my interactions, but I'm not going for employee of the year in my remaining time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 10:56 PM

3,980 posts, read 3,249,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Wow. With advice like this, your exit would be expedited like you wouldn’t believe if I were your supervisor. Until the day you leave for the last time you OWE your employer everything you’ve owed them for every other day you worked for the company. Which from the sound of things you deem to be very little.
Aww, isn't that cute. I don't have a "supervisor," I'm at the moment a hired expert meaning they sought me out for a specific skill set that is rather-rarified. That, they receive, and no more or less because anyone believing corporate Kool Aid is, uhm, stupid. People going the "extra mile" have more work heaped on them at my current client location, which bemuses me to no end. Was just discussing that today with one unfortunate sucker. I'm sure at every opportunity to be counted OUT of that routine, unless it pays time and a half. And I am 100% sure...that...they...know...it. Just to make sure that's clear enough.

You're "not" my supervisor, and presumably no one else's, so let's be clear how the modern workplace works (rapidly becoming a gig economy, I suspect): I work for one person: me. In technology, to do anything else is completely, utterly, retarded including believing in "the team" or "the group" as anything but a lever to service my ends. Do the bare minimum possible that maximizes pay, at all times, which does to be clear mean hitting your targets/goals clearly enumerated in your contract. 'Cause at the end of the day, no matter what you do, as long as you do it competently, you'll be fired regardless. The contract has an end, and joining "the team" is merely an excuse to be pimped out of money you could have made as a hired gun instead.

All that has served me real well across decades. What I will not do, after, is turn up here as a broken down, angry old man complaining how the corporate world "failed" him and (this, or that) industry sucks. They all suck, working for others. Already a few types like that wandering around here, and it's even less attractive than what I quoted.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:14 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,933,728 times
Yes. I have been in a nearly exact scenario. These were my priorities:

1. Finding new employment
2. Emptying my FSA account
3. Utilizing my healthcare benefits while I still had them (get all medical/dental/vision appointments out of the way)
4. Using up all other benefits the company provided while I'm still covered.
5. I already had ample savings but I boosted that up even more to be 100% secure if I wasn't able to land a new job quickly
6. Move all my 401K money OUT of the current employer's plan into my own IRA
189. Help my employer transition my role to someone else

Old 06-27-2019, 05:05 PM

761 posts, read 393,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I was laid off from my job last week - job was eliminated. There's a 45 day notice period.

I expect the notice period to be fairly awkward. I'm trying to be professional and transition things to my colleagues- none of this is their fault and I don't want to leave things a mess for them- but my main focus right now is finding another job. I also want to get in all my medical appointments for myself and my son during this time(something we usually do over the summer anyway) so I expect to be using a lot of sick time. There is also a lot to be done HR/administratively with the layoff.

Was anyone ever in this situation? How did you handle it?
My job was just eliminated too. I think we have lost 16k people in the last year. I expected it but still stings. The only thing is, my company is so screwed up, they can't even settle on a last day worked for me because nobody else can finish the projects I am involved in. At least you have a firm date.

Your plan sounds solid. Get medical issues out of the way, then draw their unemployment and take a deep breath and find a new, better job. Right there with you. It will be ok and if you work for a crap company like mine, a blessing in disguise.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 PM

2,738 posts, read 1,314,818 times
You are in a great situation, you have long notice and paid time to look for another job. Often you are marched out the door with one or two weeks pay. Its happened to me twice in the past 5 years.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
My job was just eliminated too. I think we have lost 16k people in the last year. I expected it but still stings. The only thing is, my company is so screwed up, they can't even settle on a last day worked for me because nobody else can finish the projects I am involved in. At least you have a firm date.

Your plan sounds solid. Get medical issues out of the way, then draw their unemployment and take a deep breath and find a new, better job. Right there with you. It will be ok and if you work for a crap company like mine, a blessing in disguise.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Bad enough being eliminated without your company being so screwed up that they feel justified in getting rid of your role but can't figure out when. I hope you find a better situation quickly.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
You are in a great situation, you have long notice and paid time to look for another job. Often you are marched out the door with one or two weeks pay. Its happened to me twice in the past 5 years.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I know I am luckier than most. I hope you have a better employer now.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yes. I have been in a nearly exact scenario. These were my priorities:

1. Finding new employment
2. Emptying my FSA account
3. Utilizing my healthcare benefits while I still had them (get all medical/dental/vision appointments out of the way)
4. Using up all other benefits the company provided while I'm still covered.
5. I already had ample savings but I boosted that up even more to be 100% secure if I wasn't able to land a new job quickly
6. Move all my 401K money OUT of the current employer's plan into my own IRA
189. Help my employer transition my role to someone else
Love this! Yes, I'm spending a lot of time on the housekeeping aspects. After 12 years there are a lot of ties to untangle between my employer and myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or