U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 04:52 PM

6,521 posts, read 2,922,995 times

Advertisements

I was laid off from my job last week - job was eliminated. There's a 45 day notice period.

I expect the notice period to be fairly awkward. I'm trying to be professional and transition things to my colleagues- none of this is their fault and I don't want to leave things a mess for them- but my main focus right now is finding another job. I also want to get in all my medical appointments for myself and my son during this time(something we usually do over the summer anyway) so I expect to be using a lot of sick time. There is also a lot to be done HR/administratively with the layoff.

Was anyone ever in this situation? How did you handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 05:16 PM

19,983 posts, read 18,922,177 times
Finding employment should be your primary job. Your job search should be underway.

How will you do financially? Save up for an emergency fund of $1,000 in place. Save up for three to six months of living expenses saved in additional to your emergency fund. If you are laid off, living expenses will cover costs. Do not spend money to fall into debt.

Any health coverage (i.e. medical, dental, vision, pharmacy) will end soon or will transition to COBRA. COBRA is expensive and coverage stops if you cannot keep up with payments.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:16 PM

1,136 posts, read 3,352,107 times
I got a layoff notice recently. I got 60 days notice. I have 3 weeks left. It was a little awkward at first with my coworkers. I had a week vacation that I took and a coworker took over my projects, he got a taste of what it will be like when I leave. He can do the work but it's on top of his other projects. He's mentioned that he's hoping they decide to cancel my layoff. They might, as another person in the dept is leaving, and another person is looking to leave, They might be left short handed.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I got a layoff notice recently. I got 60 days notice. I have 3 weeks left. It was a little awkward at first with my coworkers. I had a week vacation that I took and a coworker took over my projects, he got a taste of what it will be like when I leave. He can do the work but it's on top of his other projects. He's mentioned that he's hoping they decide to cancel my layoff. They might, as another person in the dept is leaving, and another person is looking to leave, They might be left short handed.
Sorry to hear, but hope it works out for you however you want it. How is the job hunt? Are you able to work from home? I'm hoping to do that quite a bit Normally I was home one or occasionally two days a week, so it isn't that out of the ordinary.

Old 06-23-2019, 06:50 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,728,201 times
One of my team members was let go and I made it very clear her primary focus was to find a job. If she had interviews, needed some time, whatever she needed, was fine. Even senior leadership provided this direction. My company is not touchy-feely.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:09 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,153,510 times
Quote:
I got a layoff notice recently. I got 60 days notice. I have 3 weeks left. It was a little awkward at first with my coworkers. I had a week vacation that I took

Why wouldn't you take the check at the end?

Old 06-24-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Sorry to hear, but hope it works out for you however you want it. How is the job hunt? Are you able to work from home? I'm hoping to do that quite a bit Normally I was home one or occasionally two days a week, so it isn't that out of the ordinary.
I have not really done any job hunting yet. I'm not in a hurry to do so. I so used to getting laid off jobs that I'm always prepared: thrifty lifestyle and saved a lot of money. I get 6 weeks severance pay, then can collect UI for 6 months. I will job hunt while on UI but I don't have much hope of finding a decent job for a while.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Maybe it was planned. I already had some time off this summer booked to travel with my family - the payout would have been nice but it's a college visit for my son that I didn't want to miss.

I am lucky in that I'm getting about seven months of severance. Still looking hard. I have actually never been unemployed in almost 30 years. I was debating leaving the rat race in a few years and taking on something just for bennies. Lots to think about now.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
I have not really done any job hunting yet. I'm not in a hurry to do so. I so used to getting laid off jobs that I'm always prepared: thrifty lifestyle and saved a lot of money. I get 6 weeks severance pay, then can collect UI for 6 months. I will job hunt while on UI but I don't have much hope of finding a decent job for a while.
Best of luck to you. Despite the glowing picture painted about this economy, I know a lot of us in the same boat depending on industry, location, and level.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I had already had the vacation planned and had plane tickets, so I was going no matter what.

My workplace has unlimited PTO (tech company). So we do not accrue time off. So I am taking as much PTO time off as I can before I leave . I will get 6 weeks of severance pay, not bad for only working there for a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or