U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 07:19 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,789 posts, read 54,440,540 times

Advertisements

Many employers, like mine, offer opportunities to keep in shape despite being offices. We have an employee gym with workout equipment, lockers and showers, and the option for 1/2 hour or full hour lunch break, but the gym is also open before and after work hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 12:06 AM

709 posts, read 925,534 times
Find a way to get paid while you sleep... If you can do it, then you could go to the gym as much as you want and not having to worry about money because you will still get paid no matter what you do

Old 06-25-2019, 06:20 AM

935 posts, read 257,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
The gym doesn't sound like the issue. He lifts quite heavy and pushes himself in that regard, no question. They do get a bit of choice in which hotels to stay at, so I know he always picks ones with gyms attached or nearby. And he's no stranger to 5am workouts, in college they did 2-a-day workouts, so it was at a much higher intensity than any average person would go through.

I'm glad you guys are all trying to help him out but honestly, he's gonna be alright i feel like we keep straying from the topic at hand lol
You made an entire thread about his situation, then don't want people to comment on it...

Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 AM

2,097 posts, read 712,911 times
Consulting jobs have a lot of pressure to work as many "billable hours" as possible. I worked for a couple of small consulting firms, not that high-pressure, but I can see that there would be trade-offs. Yeah, he can do a 5 AM workout but if he was out the night before with a client who wanted to schmooze over 5 rounds of beer, he has to choose between getting the sleep he needs and getting exercise. I HAD one of those clients; you can sit and drink club soda but you still aren't getting any sleep and the client calls the shots. You can also eat healthy in restaurants but if you're working late hours maybe they order in pizza or Chinese takeout. (I know the variety is better now with sites such as grubhub.)

I can see why your friend would want to change jobs. In my corporate job I managed to stay healthy while traveling. A coworker told me when I joined the team that she'd gained 40 lbs. on the job. I LOST weight, but had time to exercise and more control over my food choices.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:51 AM

690 posts, read 251,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
Uh not to my knowledge no. I think is looking to transition to a more 9-5 job just so he can establish a routine again.

And no worries, it's not up to us to figure out his situation or anything like that. I was just personally curious. He's a smart cookie. He was just venting, but he'll find a way out of it.
LOL. You are defending him.

People want to lose weight and look fit, all they need to do is not to eat too much and exercise more, not to sit in the front of TV or computer for hours and eat and eat and eat. It becomes a habit. And all those seatings and excessive food to turn their muscles into fat. The main principle is to have self-discipline.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:58 AM

315 posts, read 918,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
You made an entire thread about his situation, then don't want people to comment on it...

there's always one. on every thread. there's always one.

why i have to explain that his situation was just used AS AN EXAMPLE is beyond me.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:59 AM

850 posts, read 1,098,207 times
fitness instructor/yoga teacher/personal trainer, etc.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Consulting jobs have a lot of pressure to work as many "billable hours" as possible. I worked for a couple of small consulting firms, not that high-pressure, but I can see that there would be trade-offs. Yeah, he can do a 5 AM workout but if he was out the night before with a client who wanted to schmooze over 5 rounds of beer, he has to choose between getting the sleep he needs and getting exercise. I HAD one of those clients; you can sit and drink club soda but you still aren't getting any sleep and the client calls the shots. You can also eat healthy in restaurants but if you're working late hours maybe they order in pizza or Chinese takeout. (I know the variety is better now with sites such as grubhub.)

I can see why your friend would want to change jobs. In my corporate job I managed to stay healthy while traveling. A coworker told me when I joined the team that she'd gained 40 lbs. on the job. I LOST weight, but had time to exercise and more control over my food choices.
I think you're the first poster so show an understanding of the situation that goes beyond, "he is undisciplined! just eat less and lift weights! so simple!"

some people must really enjoy setting up very simple straw-man arguments that even the most intellectually lazy can beat up.

as if they'd do anything differently if they were stationed at a client factory site in the middle of nowhere Missouri with only fast food chains around and a very limited gym in their hotel and it's 2am, everything's closed down, and they're stressed out and hungry.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:10 AM

690 posts, read 251,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegal View Post
fitness instructor/yoga teacher/personal trainer, etc.
^This. And Paramedic.

Old 06-25-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
Find a way to get paid while you sleep... If you can do it, then you could go to the gym as much as you want and not having to worry about money because you will still get paid no matter what you do

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or