U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 02:12 PM

315 posts, read 918,389 times

Advertisements

I have a friend in Management Consulting looking to leave the industry altogether to get his health back on track. He was a martial arts/wrestling/bodybuilding athlete and competitive throughout HS and college. But his lifestyle (lack of sleep, constant travel, poor food options in client cities) has led to a huge weight gain.

I'm not really asking for his sake necessarily, I was just curious.

To start things off, the professions where I see a ton of fit people are the medical fields (yes believe it or not!) and UPS or Fedex delivery guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 02:26 PM

4,036 posts, read 7,315,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsonCrusoe View Post
To start things off, the professions where I see a ton of fit people are the medical fields (yes believe it or not!) and UPS or Fedex delivery guys.
“Get paid while you’re working out.” FedEx uses this in their help wanted ads for sorters.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:52 PM

20,545 posts, read 16,611,821 times
Quote:
I have a friend in Management Consulting looking to leave the industry altogether to get his health back on track. He was a martial arts/wrestling/bodybuilding athlete and competitive throughout HS and college. But his lifestyle (lack of sleep, constant travel, poor food options in client cities) has led to a huge weight gain.

I'm not really asking for his sake necessarily, I was just curious.

If it was lack of sleep and constant travel that led to his weight gain, Then it seems like any job that doesn’t require excessive travel will allow him to undo the damage. You dont have to get a particular job that requires physical work. Those type jobs may burn calories, but it often comes at the expense of knees and spines. But if he was in decent shape before he got that job seems like all he needs to do is start eating regular meals and sleeping better and all he needs is a job that doesn’t require the travel. My fiancé is in a contracting field and he gets a lot of exercise at work. Yes he’s in good shape and looks great, but his knees and his neck are degenerating.

Healthcare in and of it’s self does not result in being fit. I am a therapist but there are overweight therapist as well. My niece is a nurse for a big hospital system, and they get a discount at the hospital own fitness center, but there is also a lot of junk food in most healthcare settings. Does he require a job that forces him to exercise during work because he won’t do it after work or before work?

Old 06-24-2019, 04:00 PM

1,677 posts, read 550,083 times
It has nothing to do with travel or poor food options. I know a lot of people in that industry. Management consulting is an industry where you can always find someone to go drinking with and eat out with at night, if you want to. At the end of the day, the consultants walk around asking where everyone's drinking that night.

Your friend needs more self control, and needs to hit the gym in the evenings instead of drinking and choosing to eat poorly. I'm making a few assumptions here based on what I know of that industry, but if he's like a lot of people in consulting I know, he's just not saying no to the people who hit up bars every night.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Does he require a job that forces him to exercise during work because he won’t do it after work or before work?
Uh not to my knowledge no. I think is looking to transition to a more 9-5 job just so he can establish a routine again.

And no worries, it's not up to us to figure out his situation or anything like that. I was just personally curious. He's a smart cookie. He was just venting, but he'll find a way out of it.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
It has nothing to do with travel or poor food options. I know a lot of people in that industry. Management consulting is an industry where you can always find someone to go drinking with and eat out with at night, if you want to. At the end of the day, the consultants walk around asking where everyone's drinking that night.

Your friend needs more self control, and needs to hit the gym in the evenings instead of drinking and choosing to eat poorly. I'm making a few assumptions here based on what I know of that industry, but if he's like a lot of people in consulting I know, he's just not saying no to the people who hit up bars every night.
Well, he's quite disciplined from what I recall since HS, but of course, he probably did eat out and drink out a ton. His social media accounts did show him at a lot of dinners at fancy places, usually with a lot of liquor or wine.

I think he ran into the same typical problem that many pro athletes do when they retire: they still eat like a pro athlete but don't train like it anymore.

Old 06-24-2019, 05:14 PM

2,059 posts, read 595,941 times
Instacart

Old 06-24-2019, 05:30 PM

1,677 posts, read 550,083 times
Quote:
Well, he's quite disciplined from what I recall since HS, but of course, he probably did eat out and drink out a ton. His social media accounts did show him at a lot of dinners at fancy places, usually with a lot of liquor or wine.

I think he ran into the same typical problem that many pro athletes do when they retire: they still eat like a pro athlete but don't train like it anymore.
I know I'm repeating myself, but I do know a lot of people in that line of work. They are typically at a bar/restaurant eating/drinking every night of the week.

You hit the nail on the head. He can't eat/drink like he's young any more. That won't change with a different job. He probably just needs the self-control to just pick something healthier, or not drink when he's on the road. Nothing is stopping him from getting up a little earlier and going to the gym at hotels.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:34 PM

15,024 posts, read 21,728,201 times
Quote:
I know I'm repeating myself, but I do know a lot of people in that line of work. They are typically at a bar/restaurant eating/drinking every night of the week.

You hit the nail on the head. He can't eat/drink like he's young any more. That won't change with a different job. He probably just needs the self-control to just pick something healthier, or not drink when he's on the road. Nothing is stopping him from getting up a little earlier and going to the gym at hotels.
This exactly. My BIL travels to an average of three cities a week. He manages to stay in shape and eat healthy. It’s a matter of making good choices, not his job.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:

The gym doesn't sound like the issue. He lifts quite heavy and pushes himself in that regard, no question. They do get a bit of choice in which hotels to stay at, so I know he always picks ones with gyms attached or nearby. And he's no stranger to 5am workouts, in college they did 2-a-day workouts, so it was at a much higher intensity than any average person would go through.

I'm glad you guys are all trying to help him out but honestly, he's gonna be alright i feel like we keep straying from the topic at hand lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or