U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 06:29 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,467,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Silicon Valley engineer trying to move to East Coast or a southern state.
I applied at most companies, but none of them shown any interest.
If I applied here in SV locally, at least some of them would have responded.
I suspect this is not just simply the "case of the out of state applicant".
Have you noticed people feeling resentment towards highly skilled well paid SV professionals when they are trying to relocate?
In the news, typically they mention Silicon Valley as being equal with what the Google and Facebook CEOs do these days, which is censorship of conservatives, and all kinds of tech monopolies and tyranny. Obviously not every person is the same in one city, even in silicon valley not everyone is a far leftist activist like you see on TV.
Maybe they assume we are all leftist, or maybe they just hate the rich (then them being leftists).
What I am looking for is someone to confirm whether this is true or not.
Did you set your preference on LinkedIn to open to opportunities and list the cities that you want to move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 06:31 PM

4,069 posts, read 5,467,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Virtual address in the 3 major cities you'd most strongly consider. $100/month, tops.

A virtual address is not even needed. My buddy move to the East Coast, by just listing their location preference on their LinkedIn job preferences for recruiters. They got a job within a month, after recruiters from the East Coast hit them up. Recruiters have alerts and searches firing off, as soon as he updated it. He's not even an engineer.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:32 PM

28,494 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Quote:
I suspect this is not just simply the "case of the out of state applicant".
You'll have to relocate 3000 miles to know.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:28 PM

2,419 posts, read 690,595 times
Come next door to Arizona. We got lots of tech companies here. Intel and GoDaddy to name two.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:40 PM

6,842 posts, read 3,716,925 times
A lot may be your salary preferences. Most companies here in the south east may just assume they can't afford you since you're used to Silicon Valley salary.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:45 AM

92 posts, read 20,085 times
Quote:
Yes, I think I have a detailed list of big and small companies. The big ones are maybe 6 companies.
I applied at all the big ones already. Although there are other issues too, typical corporate HR issues like resume screening, internal hiring, but that should not result in being rejected from all. I haven't tried the small ones yet, but the smaller companies are with smaller projects that are not world class.
If there are only 6 companies you would consider working for, your skills and interests must be very specialized and your job search may take a while. Good luck!

I don't think you need a virtual address. _If_ your skills are actually worth $130k in a low COL area, interview travel and relocation expenses aren't likely to be a hold up.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 PM

3,412 posts, read 3,545,621 times
You need to do some networking on Linkedin. Referrals are the name of the game in tech these days.

1. What are your core/speciality areas in software development?

2. What cities are you most interested in moving to?

Old 06-26-2019, 09:38 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,494,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
You need to do some networking on Linkedin. Referrals are the name of the game in tech these days.

1. What are your core/speciality areas in software development?

2. What cities are you most interested in moving to?
I'm not in software.
Orlando or the space coast, maybe Clearwater area also.
In the past I tried to rely on networking. Most of the time it didnt work. People I have known for several years refused to place a referral. Basically only your former classmates or your cousin would help, but that is very limiting in high tech R&D where only few companies have work in my field.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:05 AM

2,658 posts, read 1,549,780 times
Iím in tech in the RTP area of NC. We usually opt for the local candidate to avoid paying relocation. Itís almost always easier to get hired after you move but I would still keep trying. Try larger companies that need your specific skill set. I would put something on your resume about looking forward to a move to the east coast or something. Maybe that would help. We have hired from CA and paid relocation for the right person but not if we have a local option.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 3,092 times
Have you considered maybe your not that skilled as an engineer, or the experience you have had to this point is not worth the interview process? Not being facetious, just thinking out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or