Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 12:01 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
This “story” is bull****. Your premise is false.

The issue is that CA transplants expect CA pay.
Outside of maybe Seattle and Manhattan, there are no other cities that pay tech workers like Silicon Valley does.

Unless OP has a very niche skillset, he/she will have a hard time finding a gig in Florida that pays anything over $100k a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 12:09 AM

724 posts, read 530,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Outside of maybe Seattle and Manhattan, there are no other cities that pay tech workers like Silicon Valley does.

Unless OP has a very niche skillset, he/she will have a hard time finding a gig in Florida that pays anything over $100k a year.
Exactly. But they still come to Austin, Dallas, Miami, Orlando, Birmingham, you name it expecting 200K

Old 06-28-2019, 02:57 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,932,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Silicon Valley engineer trying to move to East Coast or a southern state.
I applied at most companies, but none of them shown any interest.
If I applied here in SV locally, at least some of them would have responded.
I suspect this is not just simply the "case of the out of state applicant".
Have you noticed people feeling resentment towards highly skilled well paid SV professionals when they are trying to relocate?
In the news, typically they mention Silicon Valley as being equal with what the Google and Facebook CEOs do these days, which is censorship of conservatives, and all kinds of tech monopolies and tyranny. Obviously not every person is the same in one city, even in silicon valley not everyone is a far leftist activist like you see on TV.
Maybe they assume we are all leftist, or maybe they just hate the rich (then them being leftists).
What I am looking for is someone to confirm whether this is true or not.
I would frown when seeing a resume from a Sillycon Valley company. During an interview, I would ask you to explain the average and worst case space and time complexity of a Red-black tree in addition to writing out insertion and deletion of elements on a whiteboard within 5 minutes, and ask some trick questions although I realize being able to answer all those questions is not an indicator of real-world performance at all. And make it impossibly hard to do well in the interview if you worked at Google or Facebook: you reap what you sow.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:59 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
i imagine you are gunning for places like lockheed, boeing, raytheon, ...(see what i did there).
these places are the opposite culture than facelook, goggle, twister, ...
like 50+ year old average age.
t.l.s. security authorization.
citizenship requirements.
4-year c.s./ engineering degrees (heavily recruited from large northeast universities).

if you are looking at hospital research, genetics, pharmaceuticals, ... there mite be hipaa/p.h.i. clearences required.

kinda' related:
why are microsoft, apple, google, facebook considered the best workplace for engineers ?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 06-28-2019 at 07:15 AM..

Old 06-28-2019, 09:46 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo42 View Post
This “story” is bull****. Your premise is false.
The issue is that CA transplants expect CA pay.
Your assumption is false, your ego is real.
That assumption was rebuked above several times. According to some websites COL difference is 30%, not 70%. So expecting current salary minus 30% is what everyone leaving CA expects. All of them know that. But some hillbillies want to believe that the CA expat expect no pay drop. No reason to think that but want to think that, to comfort your own ego and give excuses to reject people who could give a huge contribution to your team. It is just an excuse to think CA expats expect SAME pay. an excuse to act like the hillbilly who sees a car in the distance and starts shooting.
The story is not BS, you are showing the same attitude as in the story, just like the other commenter below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I would frown when seeing a resume from a Sillycon Valley company. During an interview, I would ask you to explain the average and worst case space and time complexity of a Red-black tree in addition to writing out insertion and deletion of elements on a whiteboard within 5 minutes, and ask some trick questions although I realize being able to answer all those questions is not an indicator of real-world performance at all. And make it impossibly hard to do well in the interview if you worked at Google or Facebook: you reap what you sow.
Empty headed cynicism, and hillbilly attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i imagine you are gunning for places like lockheed, boeing, raytheon, ...(see what i did there).
these places are the opposite culture than facelook, goggle, twister, ...
Not everyone in Silicon Valley works at Google/Facebook. There is still some real engineering companies left here, building silicon, boards and systems. About half the people leaving SV are leaving because we want to stay away from hipster tech tyrants, we are not one of them. The other half just wants a big cheap house, but moves back to CA after realizing that the place is not full of liberal hipsters. Not everyone is the same.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:20 AM

881 posts, read 1,815,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Make that niche and IN DEMAND skillset.

What ever he is the world class expert in, might be so niche there really isn't much demand for it. And given the snobby attitude he has shown on this thread, he might have a reputation already within his unique branch of engineering..and that is why he is not getting referrals.

He see people in the position he wants, at the location he wants with supposed inferior skillset than his, and assumes he can't get that job because people won't hire him because he is in SV, WTF? Are there even open positions at those companies at those locations?? Did he expect them to fire the exisitings employees for make room for him??

What he wrote here is cringeworthy, and as some one who has lived and work in SV far longer than him, he does NOT represents the majority of engineers here in SV.

But I have worked with people like him though, pain in the a** to work with, they can do their work, but can't work a team, and no one wants to deal with them. They are left to do standalone projects..and then they wonder why they can't progress in their career and why no one would give them referrals.

To the OP, get over yourself, you are not that special. If you work in building silicon, boards and systems, you need to look in Texas and RTP (though I don't thing the weather in RTP is that different from SJ, maybe more humid). I worked at 4 of the big tech companies, 2 of the top ones in SV (mentioned in this thread)...they don't do that type of work just anywhere.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:23 AM

134 posts, read 472,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
Wow, i need to relocate to silicone valley! Wholy crap 220k for an engineer? I work just outside DC and have specialty credentials tech companies die for. I work for one of the biggest tech companies in the US and i am barely over 100k with 35 years of experience.

I have designed and overseen projects over 20m all across the US for some well known sites, and these people back here consider me to be over paid. I spent a year on the Sprint complex in Reston VA and they were pissed when i didn't want to drive two hours a day and charged per diem to stay in hotel.

Not to say there aren't jobs over 200k for an engineer here, but i don't know where they are. Best of luck.
I'm near DC with just 18 years in software engineering. You don't need to move to CA, you just need to stop working for cheapskates. Barely over 100k with 35 years of experience is very very low.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Maybe in your line of business it is the case. Not in mine, unless they lower the bar so much that they sabotage their own business. For people working in supermarkets and similar places, it is hard to imagine that people exist with careers in world class R&D. Some companies compete with their products in the local city market (like a bakery or a real estate agency), while others compete with companies nationally or globally (telecom equipment manufacturers or defense contractors).
if the only qualified candidates in your industry live in silicon valley; then, it would be logically impossible for an east coast corporation to be self-sufficient with employees that live on the east coast.

if what you say is unbiased and true then your only options would be to stay in west coast or change industries.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 06-28-2019 at 12:26 PM..

Old 06-28-2019, 12:08 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Your assumption is false, your ego is real.
That assumption was rebuked above several times. According to some websites COL difference is 30%, not 70%. So expecting current salary minus 30% is what everyone leaving CA expects. All of them know that. But some hillbillies want to believe that the CA expat expect no pay drop. No reason to think that but want to think that, to comfort your own ego and give excuses to reject people who could give a huge contribution to your team. It is just an excuse to think CA expats expect SAME pay. an excuse to act like the hillbilly who sees a car in the distance and starts shooting.
The story is not BS, you are showing the same attitude as in the story, just like the other commenter below:

Empty headed cynicism, and hillbilly attitude.

Not everyone in Silicon Valley works at Google/Facebook. There is still some real engineering companies left here, building silicon, boards and systems. About half the people leaving SV are leaving because we want to stay away from hipster tech tyrants, we are not one of them. The other half just wants a big cheap house, but moves back to CA after realizing that the place is not full of liberal hipsters. Not everyone is the same.
If you are great that people would just fall at your feet to give you a job, then move to Florida and show them you are serious. That is how it works there. Sorry, but take it or leave it. You may not like the “story” but it’s the reality and you are going to have to deal with it. You posted this thread to find out why you are not getting any bites. We are trying to tell you and you keep on insulting everyone who is giving very reasonable advice.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
my point is there seems to be very little weopons research, genomics, nasa avionics, healthcare informatics, hospital research, ... in silicon valley; thus, your difficulty in getting interviews on the east coast in your highly disciplined very selective skill set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment