Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 02:34 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times

Advertisements

Silicon Valley engineer trying to move to East Coast or a southern state.
I applied at most companies, but none of them shown any interest.
If I applied here in SV locally, at least some of them would have responded.
I suspect this is not just simply the "case of the out of state applicant".
Have you noticed people feeling resentment towards highly skilled well paid SV professionals when they are trying to relocate?
In the news, typically they mention Silicon Valley as being equal with what the Google and Facebook CEOs do these days, which is censorship of conservatives, and all kinds of tech monopolies and tyranny. Obviously not every person is the same in one city, even in silicon valley not everyone is a far leftist activist like you see on TV.
Maybe they assume we are all leftist, or maybe they just hate the rich (then them being leftists).
What I am looking for is someone to confirm whether this is true or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 02:56 PM

5,126 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Have you noticed people feeling resentment towards highly skilled well paid SV professionals when they are trying to relocate?
In the news, typically they mention Silicon Valley as being equal with what the Google and Facebook CEOs do these days, which is censorship of conservatives, and all kinds of tech monopolies and tyranny. Obviously not every person is the same in one city, even in silicon valley not everyone is a far leftist activist like you see on TV.
Maybe they assume we are all leftist, or maybe they just hate the rich (then them being leftists).
Have you tried the Boston area which a boasts a high tech presence?

There are not a lot of good paying tech positions here in our area of Jacksonville, Florida.

You are actually going against the herd....most tech people want to gravitate or dream of landing a job in a tech center like SV, Boston or the like.

I don’t think politics plays a part. Maybe some of these company’s in low cost of living areas think you would never be interested in a much lower salary.

I would get a head hunter working for you.

Good luck

Old 06-24-2019, 03:17 PM

Actually I'm looking for some warmer climate. Boston area is really cold and expensive almost like SV.
I am interested in a much lower salary, and much lower cost of living. From the current $220k down to $130k as an expert in my field should be doable. Everyone moving out of SV knows that.
I heard a story recently, some phd researcher from an older big tech company in SV went to interview in Virginia, but they were just playing with him, asked him nonsense questions that no one could answer about things that are irrelevant in their industry. The interviewers were acting on some kind of emotional reaction.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:31 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
You are overthinking this. Have you created a list of large companies in your target cities? There are a ton of large employers in NC & GA that need IT. Google fintech.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:39 PM

Yes, I think I have a detailed list of big and small companies. The big ones are maybe 6 companies.
I applied at all the big ones already. Although there are other issues too, typical corporate HR issues like resume screening, internal hiring, but that should not result in being rejected from all. I haven't tried the small ones yet, but the smaller companies are with smaller projects that are not world class.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:53 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
but the smaller companies are with smaller projects that are not world class.
Ah. Seems like you need to re-evaluate your real criteria.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:30 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Actually I'm looking for some warmer climate. Boston area is really cold and expensive almost like SV.
I am interested in a much lower salary, and much lower cost of living. From the current $220k down to $130k as an expert in my field should be doable. Everyone moving out of SV knows that.
I heard a story recently, some phd researcher from an older big tech company in SV went to interview in Virginia, but they were just playing with him, asked him nonsense questions that no one could answer about things that are irrelevant in their industry. The interviewers were acting on some kind of emotional reaction.
yeah, that's pretty frank RE the money. I understand where you are coming from, I stayed in Seattle despite two attempts to move INTO Cupertino or similar. It was not to be, in 2001 and 2008, oddly enough (both were swings and misses that should have hit, but did not for bizarre reasons). They paid more but the $2K/month for condo rental in Cupertino in 2008 is probably doubled or more now. Taxes and COLA, I'd have been less than happy these days.

Two hundred thou in Seattle goes pretty far, but not your scene sounds like. I moved here for Microsoft and clearly this is the epicenter: bulk of my work has been on their products, delivering their services. That truly was a "career move," you can hardly escape them here.

Now, they have Google, Facebook, and of-late Sales Force since they just ate up Tableau. That is huge. Sales Force is a hurricane blowing in, largest ERP going and only ramping up, not down.

Weather here sure isn't Cupertino or San Jose. I lived East Bay seven years and know alllll about it. Good luck with your goals, I wouldn't move to Boston due to the abysmal weather but the market is great, culture greater. Mass as a state can go pound sand with Soviet laws about firearms ownership, motor vehicles, places to ride/drive in the county (= there aren't any w/o some fat cop writing $400 tickets). No way in hell would I live without 300 miles of that, but below the Mason-Dixon...you're onto something.

Check out Charlotte, fair amount of IT work there though it's mostly banking. Nice place, too, IMO. Those banks are cesspools, some of the worst jobs I've ever done due to culture of fear and horror, but there are always silver linings to clouds. Rest of the South, who knows.

I have NO idea how to obtain out of state, FTE work anymore. 1990, there was a process. 2001, they found me, ditto 2008. Now? God knows...but I've always "known people" and that helps.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:59 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,211,652 times
Default My experience is ....

Quote:

No employer wants to interview long distance for all the obvious reasons. If you have targeted an area, you are going to need a local address and phone number for point of contact.

Today, most employer's job relocation incentive can be summed up. "You all come on back now, you hear?"

Old 06-24-2019, 06:17 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Virtual address in the 3 major cities you'd most strongly consider. $100/month, tops.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:29 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
How do they know you’re out of state? Can your position be remote? Leave off any address when you submit your resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment