U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 08:39 PM

94 posts, read 20,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I understand why they used to require a drivers license... but it's 2019. Many people aren't getting drivers license simply because Uber is more convenient.
Is this post serious? Just because you have a license doesn't mean you can't take Uber most of the time if you prefer. I didn't have a car when I was in high school or college, so I didn't drive much, but I still learned the basics when I was old enough and passed the test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 08:42 PM

1,350 posts, read 588,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
Is this post serious? Just because you have a license doesn't mean you can't take Uber most of the time if you prefer. I didn't have a car when I was in high school or college, so I didn't drive much, but I still learned the basics when I was old enough and passed the test.
I never said that you can't take uber without a license. All I said was that many people aren't getting licenses anymore because it's just not as necessary as it once was.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:13 PM

6,964 posts, read 3,865,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
I have seen listings for jobs like Accounting Technician and HR personnel require a driver's license, even though there is nothing in the job description that indicates driving is a required duty of the job, much less an essential function. I don't get it. Why is that? It is discrimination; only jobs where driving is an essential job duty should require the applicant to have a driver's license, and it should say so on the application.
When you have seen those job postings are you sure that traveling to client offices or secondary worksites is not part of the job description even if not an essential need for accomplishing the general task?

Old 06-25-2019, 11:15 PM

10,058 posts, read 4,660,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Because many jobs require occasional off-site meetings or conferences, and if the applicant does not have a DL they will have difficulty getting there.
having a DL isn't proof of having a car though...

Old 06-26-2019, 12:17 AM

6,880 posts, read 7,278,655 times
It is correct that having a license doesn't mean you have a car or that if you have one, you'll even drive to work.

Sometimes, depending on the job and employer, the announcement might say DL, OR state ID. And sometimes the announcement will say DL, but if you ask, just prompt them with he question -- in reality, a state ID might be acceptable, it didn't say so in the posting. Could be just because someone didn't think to add that detail. Some announcements are just poorly written. (Clearly if a person physically can NOT drive, then all the can get is a state ID.)

To me a DL is like a credit card. If a person doesn't bother to get one, then they just accept the inconveniences of not having one. It's also like getting a passport. It's such a universally accepted ID. Even if you're not traveling, just get it to make your life easier. (And never let it expire of course.)

Old 06-26-2019, 01:41 AM

2 posts, read 647 times
They could specify state non-driver ID or driver's license if they really want ID. I've had non driver IDs in NY and HI. Specifying a driver's license for a job which requires no driving should be considered an ADA violation. I don't drive due to being blind in my right eye since birth and having balance and cognitive issues related to shunted hydrocephalus. Some people cannot drive due to other disabilities/conditions or prescription medicines. I think the same clueless individuals who vote against decent public transit in their communities only hire people who can drive because the transit is so bad!

Old 06-26-2019, 05:33 AM

94 posts, read 20,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I never said that you can't take uber without a license. All I said was that many people aren't getting licenses anymore because it's just not as necessary as it once was.
So you think there are 16-18 year olds who are like "I'll skip driver's ed, there's always uber"?

And their parents let them do this?

Old 06-26-2019, 06:12 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,083,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffle View Post
So you think there are 16-18 year olds who are like "I'll skip driver's ed, there's always uber"?

And their parents let them do this?
I've known people in their 20s who don't have their license. Much of it depends on their location, whether they can walk where they need to go, but also economics. Insuring a new driver ain't cheap.

I would think driver's licenses would be the most common form of ID to verify who you are. It could be, the people who are hiring can't think outside the box when it comes to differing forms of ID. Additionally, it's the most common way to perform a background check. I would sooner give out my driver's license info than my SSN, until I was hired and it was required.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:27 AM

4,079 posts, read 2,943,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
They can Uber. Maybe the person has a disability that prevents driving.
Not all areas have Uber service, more rural areas can't be counted on for ride-sharing.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:42 AM

2,353 posts, read 1,078,278 times
I've seen it but I'd assume a state ID works as long as driving isn't part of the job

and not everybody can Uber, there is no Uber or PT here. Idk how many people we had to eventually let go at a previous job because they didn't have a DL or car and had to rely on grandma to bring them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or