Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 06:19 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times

Advertisements

I’ve observed and thought of a few:
  1. Many employees are damn lazy, tricky and know how to kiss some managers’ *sses, and some managers favor them and let them be off “sick”
  2. Many employees know how to take advantage of the FMLA
  3. In addition to #1, the management makes the hard-working employees to do extra work when those lazy ones go on “sick” leave. And eventually those hard-working employees become really sick and take off too.
Everybody is sick sometime and deserves to have some time off to heal and comes back to work and does his/her work well and productively. When we come to work, be honest to work hard enough for what we get pay for. But if someone is tricky and the management lets those to get away with it, good employees will be sick and tired of working hard, and they don’t want to engage and commit anymore. That’s a BIG loss for the companies/employers.

CD members, employees, managers and employers, do you have anything else to add? And do you have any solutions to solve the problems with those who like to play “sick” card?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 06:47 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,251 times
Give everyone PTO days, not sick days and vacation days. Then people don't play games where they pretend to be sick. Use those days for whatever you want.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:00 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Give everyone PTO days, not sick days and vacation days. Then people don't play games where they pretend to be sick. Use those days for whatever you want.

This. Most of the time people call in "sick" is because they need/want the time off but either don't have the pto or feel pressured not to use it or fear the request being denied. In addition to rebranding sick/vacation into generic PTO, there should be a policy of no-questions-asked because then it becomes a matter of good reason bad reason. Usually not an issue if nothing is going on at work but if you miss a day with important meetings or deadlines people are going to view it differently if you stay home so the cable guy can install an extra outlet versus your spouse is having outpatient surgery.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
We did that, and it worked well, until the City of Seattle passed a law requiring a minimum number of "sick leave" days. Now we have PTO that can be used for any reason, and sick leave that can be used only when sick. Whether a person uses PTO or sick leave for the cable technician is just not a big deal, either way it's going to use earned time off and they get paid the same for that day. The "lazy" ones you described will get theirs when they are really sick and have to be off for a week but only have 3 days left, so go without pay.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:34 AM

4,961 posts, read 2,709,998 times
My view is that it is not my business to keep track of who is sick, who is not, who is using their PTO legitimately or not, and who is a good employee and who is not.

When I was working in my IT career, I was only concerned about me and my relationship with my management. My work, my contributions. Anyone else was not part of the equation and did not impact my yearly reviews or salary increases.

I had plenty of challenges and problems to deal with and other employees, whether they were the best or the worst in the office, were simply not my problem. My managements also didn't like busybodies who went beyond their orbit and got involved with criticizing their peers, deserved or not.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I'm mentally sick way more than I'm physically sick so I use my time as needed.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:03 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Herzberg's two factor theory.

That's why. Employees aren't getting their hygiene factors met. Simple as that.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:18 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,322,407 times
Everybody has valid points, more or less.

When I care, I want to speak up my opinions in hope for improvement.

When I don't care, I think I should shut up and do as the saying "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

Old 06-20-2019, 08:19 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm mentally sick way more than I'm physically sick so I use my time as needed.
Yes!
Also, if I am lightly to moderately sick, but have gotten good rest, I am far more productive and able to concentrate than if I am otherwise healthy but did not get a wink of sleep. Physiologically, it is not possible for a brain without sleep to properly function, and I find myself saying "could you repeat the question please" a lot. I cannot figure out why my employer would even want me there, but our days off are minimal.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:23 AM

801 posts, read 547,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
My view is that it is not my business to keep track of who is sick, who is not, who is using their PTO legitimately or not, and who is a good employee and who is not.
This.

The trick is to get a job where other people's silliness have no impact on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment