U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 07:47 PM

128 posts, read 134,573 times

Advertisements

I have an opportunity to become a Paralegal. I need a job and this seemed doable. However is it really?

The program is through an accredited university. Its ABA approved. Since I already have a Degree(useless journalism) I'm doing their 1 year course. So Aug-May. They have a 150 hour internship that is required at the end of the course. That will be my only Paralegal experience that I could put on a potential resume.

I'm also worried about what I'm truly getting myself into. How hard are these courses? How easy?

They say the job market for lawyers is horrible so if its horrible for them then just how bad is it for Paralegals?

BLS.gov is saying Paralegal is a good field with a good paycheck,but what does real world say?

I'm already 10,000 in student loan debt from my BA degree,if I take this course I will be adding another $5,550. That's now 15,000 or so.

I'm was tying to find a good scholarship database to look for some money to a pay because honestly I would feel way more comfortable taking this unknown, might be financially unwise, leap If I didn't have to pay for it.

I want know is it worth it to be going further into debt for a job field that might not be realistically secure.

Also one small plus I don't have children so I'm free as a bird to do anything.

Other hurdles

I'm also well aware that liberal arts fields are usually not desirable if you want to make good money with good to excellent benefits and actual job security.

I'm 33 and would be 34 when I graduate. I'm not naive enough to think age discrimination doesn't exist.

I'm currently talking to a psychiatrist about some things and may take a med. Do any potential employers need to know this? Is it even legal for them to? I know, and understand, why the military would need to know this info,but any one else do they need to?

I live in the south. While standard of living wise that's a good thing(a paycheck goes a long way )job market wise it's not.

Say I went on and did the course could I get other jobs that are similar even if paralegal experience would make me over qualified?

Other job opportunities I was looking into.

Getting a Class B CDL so I can drive for USPS, UPS or Fedex or even a cement mixer or something.

Working as a mail sorter at USPS?

A High school,University,or Walmart janitor? Apparently they make good money and have very good benefits, and since I'm only one person this doesn't seem bad at all.

A pharmacist technician. Especially ones that have an onsite training program. No college. Just take the Licence exam. I heard Walgreen's use to do this? The Pharmacology class I had to take for the LPN program I was in made my head spin though. It was like I was reading a foreign language so I'm not so sure about this one.

I'm an Introvert. While I will( and have) put on my big girl pants to fake it till I make it sort of speak I do prefer a job where I'm doing more reading and writing then talking to a dozen people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 08:15 PM

758 posts, read 433,331 times
I live in a large metro area. Most law firms or small practices have terrible benefits and entry level salaries for paralegals are not that great.

Have a relative in graphic design/art director that makes 135k a year. So if you have talent liberal art degree seems to be far more profitable than paralegal...lol

Old 06-25-2019, 09:32 PM

4,034 posts, read 7,312,716 times
Forget anything connected with the Postal Service. It’s a dying organization.

What about skilled trades - plumber, electrician, HVAC? They have paid apprenticeships and plenty of opportunity.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:35 PM

2,404 posts, read 683,329 times
OK, you get the internship.

Is that enough to get an entry level paralegal job? Have you researched the paralegal jobs in your area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment