U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2019, 11:36 AM
 
959 posts, read 445,221 times
Reputation: 1591

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotPutFX View Post
I looked at many of your posts and most come off as hissy fits. So it's natural to assume you're probably like that in real life?
Again, just like many others, you’re attempting to dismiss me with an ad hominem attack instead of addressing the substance of what I’m saying, likely because you don’t have an actual refutation. So like everyone else without an actual opinion, you resort to emotional attacks and name calling, thinking it makes you a winner.


How about actually putting forth a better idea if you think mine is so bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2019, 12:33 PM
 
959 posts, read 445,221 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotPutFX View Post
Well you're like what, 18? And a mechanic?

I suppose for now your skills give you options to move around LATERALLY, but as you grow up and want to advance you'll probably need and want to be more flexible and diplomatic. Equating that with being passive and a pushover is sort of empty bravado and a cop out for being afraid to speak and act civilly and professionally.

Funny, the people I know in my 35+ year work life who go on and on about "not taking crap" and "speaking my mind" seem to remain in the same level of employment forever.
I’m 24 and an ASE Certified Master Tech. Been in the automotive field 6 years now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2019, 12:44 PM
 
959 posts, read 445,221 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotPutFX View Post
That thread was originally posted by me under another account that was deleted for violating TOS and combined with this account, hence why there’s 2 different ages given. I’m actually 24.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2019, 01:29 PM
 
20,625 posts, read 16,673,422 times
Reputation: 38771
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Nothing will change if no one is willing to speak out against it.

I don’t understand this attitude if “if you don’t like something, just leave/quit, but don’t you dare speak out against it.”

You also seem like the others on here, quick to dismiss any complaint as a “hissy fit” or “whining” or whatever name you’d like to dismiss what I’m saying without actually addressing it, and you go away smugly thinking “ I TOLD HIM”.

All that you’ve told me is that you aren’t willing to stand up for yourself and would rather quit than speak out.
You can think that all you want, there are better ways to communicate than having a hissy fit and yes it is a hissy fit. You really think that stomping out like a toddler is going to affect change? I would’ve actually written a letter to the owner of the company if I wanted to speak out, or I would’ve talk to my boss multiple times before it came to this and he would be well aware of why I was leaving. But just to stand up and announce you’re taking your ball and going home to me is not a mature way to deal with things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2019, 01:58 PM
 
959 posts, read 445,221 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You can think that all you want, there are better ways to communicate than having a hissy fit and yes it is a hissy fit. You really think that stomping out like a toddler is going to affect change? I would’ve actually written a letter to the owner of the company if I wanted to speak out, or I would’ve talk to my boss multiple times before it came to this and he would be well aware of why I was leaving. But just to stand up and announce you’re taking your ball and going home to me is not a mature way to deal with things.


It wasn’t the first time I’d spoke up about the changes I’d like to see. But if things aren’t going to change a breaking point will eventually be reached and that’s when I walk. Either the BS goes or I do, and I have no qualms about leaving you high and dry if you’re a POS employer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2019, 03:47 PM
 
104 posts, read 21,171 times
Reputation: 121
Overall, I disagree - it seems irresponsible. But that aside - my 2nd thought is - what kind of things?


If you are quitting because he wants you there on time, he wants you to stop smoking when it's not break, he doesn't want you to drink at lunch, you violate safety policies regularly, you cuss or otherwise act unprofessionally in front of customers, or you're simply incompetent - then these aren't negotiable. When you are the owner, make your own rules, til then, suck it up or move on quietly.


Pay rate is a gray area - if you agreed to it, then that's that. If he made you an offer and reneged, that's something different. But no one is "paid unfairly" without their consent. Don't like the pay? Ask for a raise. If the answer is no, you can stay or go, but you cannot whine.



If, on the other hand, he has threatened you in some way (like with firing) if you don't work weekends or holidays, if he routinely puts you in unsafe situations violating your insurance, if he himself is drunk or high at work, if he's unprofessional to most folks' sensibilities, if he doesn't pay you on time, or has been dishonest about benefits like insurance or days off - then, by all means, voice your opinion. Maybe he doesn't know. Or maybe he does and doesn't care.


So - what exactly are the issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2019, 04:12 PM
 
Location: SNA=>PDX 2013
2,677 posts, read 3,059,252 times
Reputation: 3132
I've said this since I was 14. I'm all about choice. I hate people who live their lives thinking they don't have a choice. You have a choice in everything.

and here comes the but....BUUUUUT you either deal with the consequences if you react or you plan and do what you need to do to make changes. It may not be immediate, but long-term, mentally you'll be much happier.

Also wanted to add, very few people have the pleasure of being able to walk out of a job because they're not happy with something. But again, you can ask, see what happens, if nothing, then you make plans to leave if it's something that affects you immensley. I know I was about to quit my job because I was doing 2 jobs (covering for people) for a year and not getting any extra compensation. Then to be told, "we don't give extra compensation because you're supposed to be a team player". All I know is next time, I'm going to make my demands clear and if they aren't met, I'll have a backup plan because having a mental breakdown is not healthy and no job is worth it IMHO.

So if you're not willing to do anything to change your situation, then I'm all with the "suck it up", but yeah, I'll probably still listen to you complain.

Last edited by psichick; 06-27-2019 at 05:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2019, 04:19 PM
 
6,866 posts, read 3,731,880 times
Reputation: 18108
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Overall, I disagree - it seems irresponsible. But that aside - my 2nd thought is - what kind of things?


If you are quitting because he wants you there on time, he wants you to stop smoking when it's not break, he doesn't want you to drink at lunch, you violate safety policies regularly, you cuss or otherwise act unprofessionally in front of customers, or you're simply incompetent - then these aren't negotiable. When you are the owner, make your own rules, til then, suck it up or move on quietly.


Pay rate is a gray area - if you agreed to it, then that's that. If he made you an offer and reneged, that's something different. But no one is "paid unfairly" without their consent. Don't like the pay? Ask for a raise. If the answer is no, you can stay or go, but you cannot whine.



If, on the other hand, he has threatened you in some way (like with firing) if you don't work weekends or holidays, if he routinely puts you in unsafe situations violating your insurance, if he himself is drunk or high at work, if he's unprofessional to most folks' sensibilities, if he doesn't pay you on time, or has been dishonest about benefits like insurance or days off - then, by all means, voice your opinion. Maybe he doesn't know. Or maybe he does and doesn't care.


So - what exactly are the issues?
Based on previous posts, most of the issues seem to be not wanting to take direction and wanting to do things his own way. Vs a "no one is going to tell me what to do" attitude. Pretty standard stuff so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2019, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Seattle
1,793 posts, read 1,027,369 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Based on previous posts, most of the issues seem to be not wanting to take direction and wanting to do things his own way. Vs a "no one is going to tell me what to do" attitude. Pretty standard stuff so far.
That and even though he posts as a question jimmy's not willing to accept any answers that are contrary to his own.

His posts are a mix of failed humble-brag and shouting "I!, me!, my!".

Last edited by Sockeye66; 06-27-2019 at 06:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2019, 09:58 AM
 
959 posts, read 445,221 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Based on previous posts, most of the issues seem to be not wanting to take direction and wanting to do things his own way. Vs a "no one is going to tell me what to do" attitude. Pretty standard stuff so far.

I want to do things the right way, not the half-ass, rush job way that my previous shop pushed me to do. They would’ve rather had something done fast and half ass than done slower but done properly. I’m not doing a hack job because some dumb service manager or writer with no clue how to do my job thinks it can be done faster. I told them “You want it done fast or you want it done right?” And they’d say both. I told them you can’t have both. It’s like the old analogy “fast, cheap or good, pick any two.”

The shop that I work in now puts quality over quantity and allows me to do things the proper way. I attribute that to the fact that the owner used to turn wrenches and actually respects the work mechanics do. Instead of some idiot that only knows numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top