Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 08:56 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times

Advertisements

Paralegal is a great profession, but it is highly dependent on both the area where you live and the law firm where you work. A paralegal job can run the entire spectrum where some of them are complete morons and work as glorified receptionists to places where the paralegals know more than most attorneys and essentially do everything except sign the pleadings and go to court. A good law firm will view a smart, capable, competent paralegal as worth her/his weight in gold. They can be very hard to find. Now, along with this spectrum of the paralegal's job comes a huge range in compensation. Some might be paid $20K/year. Others might be paid $150K/year. I've seen some smaller firms where the paralegals were paid more than young attorneys because they were considered more valuable, whereas there were so many attorneys looking for work, they were almost literally a dime a dozen.

Different geographic areas tend to have different acceptable requirements for paralegals -- some very typically hire smart college graduates and train them. Others require an ABA-accredited paralegal certificate. That $5500 number you quoted strikes me as a bit high, but I'm not sure what the current going rate is. The requirement of having an internship is interesting -- I hadn't heard of that before, but as a practical matter, those types of requirements are actually for the best. It is HUGELY helpful for you to have that sort of experience, and it is likely that many people who work in those internships get job offers from those firms. And since they're part of the school requirement, I would guess that the school puts in a lot of work to make sure that they are available (although you'd want to confirm this.) Even if you don't get the job offer, it is a HUGE thing to be able to put that experience on your resume.

I would try to meet with some graduates of the paralegal program you're considering to ask them how hard it was to get a job. Or ask some attorneys in your area what they think and what they look for when hiring a paralegal. I know you said you are an introvert, and I know this kind of networking is probably the last thing you want to do, but it really is something vital in terms of getting a good job and establishing a career. Generally, people want to help other people and most find it a bit flattering that someone wants to know what they think and ask them for advice.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
The other thing that people don't understand about jobs and careers is 'who pays your paycheck' makes a big difference in the environment of the job.

At most law firms, your paycheck is going to paid directly by a client. You are going to bill your 30 hours spent that week to Joe B Wealthy, who needs your services to close a real estate deal or something.

Well, Joe B Wealthy is not just going to sit there while you eat up all his bank account by doing a half-a@@ job on his project, thinking about what the easiest job is you can get for the most pay. Very often, small corporations and even individuals pay the salary of lawyers.
Well, while this has an element of truth it's not exactly true. Some paralegals have billable hours, but many do not. And some paralegals work in corporate law departments of corporations.

Clients do provide the money for law firms, but secretarial, clerical, and administrative expenses are not what's scruitinized by them. They might balk at the bill based on the hourly rate that is indicated attorneys put in. Some of these bills might include some hourly billing by paralegals, but many law firms group in paralegal work as an administrative expense. Even if they don't, the submitted billable hours are reviewed by partners before the bills are sent out and often they will cut those hours to keep the client happy. If we're dealing with litigation or some major issue, the client *needs* the services of the law firm, and they want someone they've developed a relationships with, and trust and understand. They've already committed to and resigned themselves to the fact that they have to dish out a big chunk of change.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:19 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Well, while this has an element of truth it's not exactly true. Some paralegals have billable hours, but many do not. And some paralegals work in corporate law departments of corporations.

Clients do provide the money for law firms, but secretarial, clerical, and administrative expenses are not what's scruitinized by them. They might balk at the bill based on the hourly rate that is indicated attorneys put in. Some of these bills might include some hourly billing by paralegals, but many law firms group in paralegal work as an administrative expense. Even if they don't, the submitted billable hours are reviewed by partners before the bills are sent out and often they will cut those hours to keep the client happy. If we're dealing with litigation or some major issue, the client *needs* the services of the law firm, and they want someone they've developed a relationships with, and trust and understand. They've already committed to and resigned themselves to the fact that they have to dish out a big chunk of change.
Right, but it's indirectly scrutinized by your manager.

You missed the point. A corporation or an individual is scrutinizing your paycheck.

In the case of high paid paralegals, hours are very much being scrutinized.

Compare that to working for the government or working for NYC or healthcare.

When you get your car fixed, do check the bill very carefully to see who did what and what services were rendered? Yes.

When you check your paycheck, you just see that a certain amount has gone to your healthcare provider, or 'taxes'. You don't break down what pays what exactly.

OP wants an easy job where they can make good $. For that reason alone, easier jobs are easier to find in those sectors (scary that healthcare is part of that, but true).

Old 06-27-2019, 10:45 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
In areas with a surplus of law school graduates, juniors are used as paralegals. So it would depend on location whether it would be a good career path.
Consider becoming a stenographer (court recorder).

Old 06-27-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
In areas with a surplus of law school graduates, juniors are used as paralegals. So it would depend on location whether it would be a good career path.
This is also true to an extent, but sometimes firms don't want to hire an attorney either as an attorney doing paralegal work or as a paralegal because they believe that they will leave after a year or so. If a firm really values it's paralegals, they'll stay for a long time. They can, in some instances, become the real heart of the firm -- doing most of the real work. Most attorneys want to move up and if not, they'll move out. Some firms rely very highly on knowledgable paralegals, and new attorneys know virtually nothing.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:58 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I am in civil litigation. As someone who transitioned to paralegal after starting off as a legal secretary, I can tell you that having litigation experience and knowledge are very important. Lots of people think that they can walk off the street with a degree in spelunking and do the job well but that isn't so. Training is ok and all, but real world experience, at least in my experience, is better. Legal secretarial pays very well in most cities and you can end up doing hybrid paralegal work. I've never spent a dime - my training came from "on the job".

Old 06-27-2019, 01:05 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
There is a lot of paralegal work, but it can depend on where you live definitely.

Do not listen to the naysayers regarding 'saturation.' It is simply not true. I work in private equity and M&A, and we receive emails every week from recruiters looking for paralegals. Good jobs too--$80k--which is pretty good for Florida. Higher salaries than that in a big city. If you doubt there are jobs, just sign up for some email job alerts for paralegals in your state. There are national lists as well.

The certificate is a good thing to have--attorneys like paralegals to be certified. But, I know plenty of people who started as a legal assistant and went on to be a paralegal with better pay, etc. Again, it really has to do with your geographical area, and what type of law is big in your area. There are all types of paralegal jobs in big firms, with in-house counsel and for one-man band attorneys. It is a good job for an introvert depending on the firm and the type of law. RE paralegals may have to deal with more people than corporate.

See if you like it first. If you don't like it after a couple of courses, forget it. But if you do, get the certificate and you will most likely find work. Or move to a place with the work. I do not know any unemployed paralegals and as I said, they are in demand in S. Fla.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:11 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
This is also true to an extent, but sometimes firms don't want to hire an attorney either as an attorney doing paralegal work or as a paralegal because they believe that they will leave after a year or so. If a firm really values it's paralegals, they'll stay for a long time. They can, in some instances, become the real heart of the firm -- doing most of the real work. Most attorneys want to move up and if not, they'll move out. Some firms rely very highly on knowledgable paralegals, and new attorneys know virtually nothing.
At the larger firms, many of the paralegals end up training the associates who are right out of law school. They learn a lot of theory and law, but not how to prepare documents or perform the most basic of tasks. The only difference is that associates will work til they drop--around the clock, weekends, no social life, because they want to make partner.

Paralegals are professionals who are usually paid for all of their time and actually can take vacations. Being treated like a bit of a slave is reserved for the associates.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:20 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
There is a lot of paralegal work, but it can depend on where you live definitely.

Do not listen to the naysayers regarding 'saturation.' It is simply not true. I work in private equity and M&A, and we receive emails every week from recruiters looking for paralegals. Good jobs too--$80k--which is pretty good for Florida. Higher salaries than that in a big city. If you doubt there are jobs, just sign up for some email job alerts for paralegals in your state. There are national lists as well.

The certificate is a good thing to have--attorneys like paralegals to be certified. But, I know plenty of people who started as a legal assistant and went on to be a paralegal with better pay, etc. Again, it really has to do with your geographical area, and what type of law is big in your area. There are all types of paralegal jobs in big firms, with in-house counsel and for one-man band attorneys. It is a good job for an introvert depending on the firm and the type of law. RE paralegals may have to deal with more people than corporate.

See if you like it first. If you don't like it after a couple of courses, forget it. But if you do, get the certificate and you will most likely find work. Or move to a place with the work. I do not know any unemployed paralegals and as I said, they are in demand in S. Fla.
Agree, but I would like to say that the difference in pay between paralegals and seasoned legal secretaries isn't as much as you'd like to think. At my firm, there really isn't any difference in pay. Legal secretaries make a good wad of dough, especially those who have lots of experience. The position itself requires far more skills than general admin work and the pay reflects that. Making copies, and duties like that can easily be delegated to mailroom staff. The real difference is that as a paralegal you do 100% billable work. I don't just revise documents, I draft documents from scratch. Then again, everything is template based anyway, so I was able to do that as a secretary. Top secretaries are used as paralegals in a lot of firms too, so it may be worth the OP's while to get her foot in the door as a legal secretary and WATCH and LEARN and take whatever responsibility comes her way.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:20 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
I've heard even that's a crowded field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment