U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2019, 10:17 PM

94 posts, read 40,928 times

Advertisements

Wayyy back when I was a teenager I did, it looked and felt awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 02:04 AM

7,157 posts, read 2,936,914 times
Yes, quite often. Sometimes our duties with the public meant it made sense to be identifiable as a person in authority, but a couple of times it wasn't technically required for many staff members. The manager who decided everyone would wear them (whether you were ever in the public eye or not) was simply being a dictatorial jerk. Oh, it was to raise "esprit du corps"...right...morale tanked after the edict that everyone must wear a uniform.

One of the mysteries of federal agency service was why the uniform "designers" decided everyone should look like throwbacks to 1950s military. I mean c'mon...who really NEEDS epaulets on their shoulders if there aren't any rank insignia? Tabs for attaching medals never earned or displayed? Pant waists so high they abrade your ribs? Belts so thick and stiff a Rottweiler couldn't chew through one? Polyester fabrics that don't absorb sweat, trigger allergic reactions, and cause contact dermatitis? Uniform contractors who cannot sew a piece of clothing in a consistent size from one person or order to the next?

I can recall meetings with our state or local counterparts who looked comfortable and relaxed in simpler (but identifiable), less expensive clothing sewn from performance fabrics created within the last 25 years. The envy on our faces was palpable...but we did get a lot of sympathy. A common answer to the question "what are you going to do with your uniforms?" asked of a recent retiree or former worker was "burn them in effigy and dance around the fire until they are ashes."

Old 06-26-2019, 06:28 AM

4,084 posts, read 2,949,672 times
No. I've telecommuted for the last 15 years and my "uniform" typically consists of a t-shirt and shorts while sitting in my air conditioned office.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:12 AM

1,700 posts, read 556,077 times
I wear a suit 3-4 days/week. The tie is the only annoying part.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,815 posts, read 54,486,657 times
No, I have never had to wear a uniform. I did have to wear a suit and tie for my first 17 years working out of college, thank goodness now we have business casual with casual Fridays.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:44 AM

882 posts, read 336,870 times
1983, first job at McDonald’s. My location’s uniform was a baby blue polyester nightmare. Stiff, scratchy, and sweaty. And did I mention baby blue? Ugh.

Now I wear scrubs, which are basically professional pyjamas.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:07 AM

17,310 posts, read 10,212,749 times
Yup, cracker jack uniform from the Navy.

Not only does it look ridiculous, but it's hot and itchy as well.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:07 AM

10,063 posts, read 4,668,516 times
Servucemen have it worse, everyday in the middle East they wear their full combat uniforms and can't take it off because they are being shot at.

I'll take wearing scrubs and not complain

Old 06-26-2019, 12:25 PM

3,093 posts, read 3,193,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yes, quite often. Sometimes our duties with the public meant it made sense to be identifiable as a person in authority, but a couple of times it wasn't technically required for many staff members. The manager who decided everyone would wear them (whether you were ever in the public eye or not) was simply being a dictatorial jerk. Oh, it was to raise "esprit du corps"...right...morale tanked after the edict that everyone must wear a uniform.

One of the mysteries of federal agency service was why the uniform "designers" decided everyone should look like throwbacks to 1950s military. I mean c'mon...who really NEEDS epaulets on their shoulders if there aren't any rank insignia? Tabs for attaching medals never earned or displayed? Pant waists so high they abrade your ribs? Belts so thick and stiff a Rottweiler couldn't chew through one? Polyester fabrics that don't absorb sweat, trigger allergic reactions, and cause contact dermatitis? Uniform contractors who cannot sew a piece of clothing in a consistent size from one person or order to the next?

I can recall meetings with our state or local counterparts who looked comfortable and relaxed in simpler (but identifiable), less expensive clothing sewn from performance fabrics created within the last 25 years. The envy on our faces was palpable...but we did get a lot of sympathy. A common answer to the question "what are you going to do with your uniforms?" asked of a recent retiree or former worker was "burn them in effigy and dance around the fire until they are ashes."
The material, quality, and consistency in size come from three factors

1) They wanted it cheap so they chose the cheapest materials. Sometimes that means materials that won't stain easily so cleaning costs are lower.
2) They were made by the lowest bidder who has less quality control
3) It is a huge bureaucracy with lots of steps in the process to change things. And there is a huge amount of existing stock that has to be used up. When I went into the Air Force some of my issued uniforms were a style that hadn't been purchased by the Air Force for 9 years but they were still working off existing stock. Depending on your size you either got 1 of the new style and 2 of the old style or 2 of the new style. A year later they finally stopped issuing the old style. A year later they 'end of lifed' it and we couldn't wear it any more I had worn my two sets a total of two times. I had bought two extra of the new set in that time.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:29 PM

1,513 posts, read 966,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
1983, first job at McDonald’s. My location’s uniform was a baby blue polyester nightmare. Stiff, scratchy, and sweaty. And did I mention baby blue? Ugh.

Now I wear scrubs, which are basically professional pyjamas.
At that time, it was dark blue for our store. Before that, it was brown. Both were old-school polyester - did not wrinkle, did not breathe, weirdly-fitting stuff.

I have seen photos of when it was green, kind of a dark lime color, in the '70s.

"We got a bus ... 6-12 turn-lay and 10 quarters ... drop some fries and nuggets."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment