Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 06:08 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,140,268 times

Advertisements

Any experience with it yet?

Slack Wants to Replace Email. Is That What We Want?
As the office chat start-up prepares to go public, some of us are still figuring out how available we want to be — and whether it’s O.K. to ping the C.E.O.
By John Herrman

Slack is coming for your job. The workplace chat company, valued at more than $7 billion at the time of its last funding round, is going public this week. It claims to already have more than 10 million daily users and, in its listing prospectus, bills itself as the answer to bloated inboxes everywhere...
Slack reduces email, and email is bad, and so therefore it must follow that Slack is good. Furnishing a considerable tailwind to this marketing pitch is that people really do resent their email. Don’t you?

Email, the paper suggested, had actually become an “interpretive scapegoat for the workers’ perceptions that they were expected to do more than they could reasonably accomplish in a day.” … Any suggestion that Slack is purely empowering must also take into account that it is, ultimately, a tool paid for by employers, and which grants them full power within it: to set rules; to observe or surveil their employees; to set norms anew, or to changenorms that have evolved in ways they don’t appreciate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/19/style/slack-replace-email-ipo-listing.html?searchResultPosition=1

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/small-biz/startups/newsbuzz/slack-wants-to-replace-email-is-that-what-we-want/articleshow/69868361.cms

https://www.dangolka.com/slack-wants-to-replace-email-is-that-what-we-want/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 06:16 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
I use Slack and it functions more like WeChat and What's App than something to replace e-mail.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
The perfect asset for a corporation filling with people who have been conditioned that more than 140 characters is unnecessary babbling.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:35 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The perfect asset for a corporation filling with people who have been conditioned that more than 140 characters is unnecessary babbling.
Have you ever used slack?

Old 06-26-2019, 07:47 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Have you ever used slack?
I've been using corporate chat tools since they were DOS TSR's. Every company eventually got rid of them for the same reason: they promote the idea that no one's time is too important to interrupt at any moment, unlike email, which can be managed as a task.

It took the TwitChatBook generation to find a continually-interrupting communication method acceptable.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:08 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I've been using corporate chat tools since they were DOS TSR's. Every company eventually got rid of them for the same reason: they promote the idea that no one's time is too important to interrupt at any moment, unlike email, which can be managed as a task.

It took the TwitChatBook generation to find a continually-interrupting communication method acceptable.
ok...that wasn't my question. have you ever used slack? Apparently not

Last edited by Lekrii; 06-26-2019 at 08:30 PM..

Old 06-26-2019, 08:19 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
All these crazy new things for communicating at work. It's been downhill since Banyan VINES.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:33 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
ok...that wasn't my question. have you ever used slack? Apparently not
LOL yup

We use it at our workplace. It definitely has advantages.

I like the app better than the desktop version, and I like what it does with links, by automatically giving them a headline, description, etc so you don't have to. It does things more intuitively, which is less "work" for me.

Old 06-27-2019, 10:55 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,381 times
I love slack and use it every day. However, contrary to what some are saying, I actually feel like it is less intrusive than email at times. While I have the app on my phone, if I'm not actually on my computer it shows me as away so people can message me, but they are aware that I may not see it for a while. It is also great for file sharing, especially with Keynote as it is often too big to send in an email and I don't always want to be a collab file.
I think there is more good than bad to Slack but I don't see it fully replacing email, yet. Not while some (often older) people are not willing to embrace it.

Old 06-27-2019, 11:11 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quick, someone call JR "Bob" Dobbs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment