U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 10:46 AM

1,677 posts, read 550,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Same here.

I'm 6-figures. I've never gone more then 45hrs or worked a weekend.
I will have to work weekends on occasion, but they make up for it. I've been given 4 extra PTO days so far this year in compensation for time I've had to spend working Saturday/Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 10:51 AM

5,026 posts, read 3,211,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicanons View Post
For the past three weeks I have been working 70 hour weeks. I am married and have a two year old, so it's been very difficult. Is this normal? They call it crunch time
That's pretty extreme. if it's not some certain type of job, like lineman (They'll do 24 hours) of like accountants and other "Duty personnel"...I am just getitng ready to finish a 77 hour week, but that's due to my volunteering and desire to crush some bills...I have done several, but being single I can handle it...Wife and kid? Nope, I'd want quality time with them...

Old 06-28-2019, 06:27 PM

8,941 posts, read 5,081,575 times
its normal in my line, daylight hours 60-65 hours normal, but we do get paid for it, I went in at 4:30 this morning and it 7pm now, been home twenty minutes

Old 06-28-2019, 07:03 PM

4,490 posts, read 2,877,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
No, you are misunderstanding what I said. When I said they chose to do it, I was referring to the physicians who work long hours. They knew what they were getting into when they chose that profession. Of course, not all physicians choose to work long hours - they go into fields of medicine that don't require it.

When you own your own business, as my husband and I did, we didn't have the luxury of just working 40 hours per week. We knew that ahead of time and chose to do it.
THAT is fine, and fair enough. However, I would NOT expect that level of commitment from your employees unless you made them equal partners, or otherwise made it worth their while in other ways. The long standing truth has always been... "Your employees will never be as involved in your company as you are".

It's THOSE employees we're referring to.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:40 AM

2,292 posts, read 2,678,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
THAT is fine, and fair enough. However, I would NOT expect that level of commitment from your employees unless you made them equal partners, or otherwise made it worth their while in other ways. The long standing truth has always been... "Your employees will never be as involved in your company as you are".

It's THOSE employees we're referring to.
If you read all of my posts, you would see that I was responding to another side issue - that of certain professions working long hours and remaining productive.

Of course, I would never expect an employee to be as involved in a company as the owners.

You aren't the first person here who misunderstood what I was talking about and trying to say. I guess I'm not making myself very clear, since others have also not understood the point I was trying to make.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:06 PM

4,490 posts, read 2,877,828 times
Quote:
If you read all of my posts, you would see that I was responding to another side issue - that of certain professions working long hours and remaining productive.

Of course, I would never expect an employee to be as involved in a company as the owners.

You aren't the first person here who misunderstood what I was talking about and trying to say. I guess I'm not making myself very clear, since others have also not understood the point I was trying to make.
Basically, the "TL;DR" response for this thread is it generally is NOT normal to work 70 hours a week, unless you're in that sort of "odd situation" that calls for it.
Note that the OP never really commented on the line of work involved.
Speaking of "side issue", I will confess I wanted to point that out none of the less. Too many people expect "absolute loyalty" to their companies when really, that's not the same situation.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:26 AM

12,247 posts, read 17,989,797 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was normal for everyone. I was responding to the part of his quote that said, "It's not sustainable for any job that requires critical thought and productivity goes into the toilet after a couple months of it."
The Dr's I know should definitely slow down a little because they are a pain in the ass to work with. Lol. But..... money talks..

Old 07-01-2019, 12:32 AM

12,247 posts, read 17,989,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
its normal in my line, daylight hours 60-65 hours normal, but we do get paid for it, I went in at 4:30 this morning and it 7pm now, been home twenty minutes
You get overtime pay? ..let's say 95 k a year base. Anything beyond 40 a week is time and a half and then double beyond that.

Or do you just get the same salary regardless?

Old 07-01-2019, 08:01 AM

4,805 posts, read 1,983,159 times
Quote:
For the past three weeks I have been working 70 hour weeks. I am married and have a two year old, so it's been very difficult. Is this normal? They call it crunch time

Was there a recent change in management?
What kind of additional work have you been given recently?
Did someone in your group leave?
The additional work, was it more of the same or did you get new responsibilities?

Remember that consistent mandatory overtime with no compensation is a scam. If this unpaid OT doesn't taper off soon, you will need to leave.

When everything becomes an emergency at work, one understands why unions are still relevant?

Old 07-01-2019, 10:48 AM

2,277 posts, read 1,153,510 times
Quote:

It's "normal" in dysfunctional or failing organizations. When you realize that's what they consider "normal", you really need to either tell them you need your salary doubled to compensate for all of that mandatory OT, or look for another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or