Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:43 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times

Advertisements

I had my review today. My boss was very complimentary and emphasized my importance to the team. Then he asks me (as he does at every review) what he can do to keep me happy in my work. TBH, I love my job. I make 6 figures, work from home, and can ditch out to take care of my father or run an errand any time I need to. I take a lunchtime nap almost every day. I work with a GREAT team of people I genuinely like and look forward to talking to, and I adore my boss. My job can be a bit boring with occasional highly stressful moments, but it had a lot of variety and I'm finding it pretty doable after more than a decade. I told my boss all of this.

My friend was like "Ask for flex time or a paid sabbatical" but I already really have flex time and can't seem to use up the more than 30 days of vacation I already have. And I know what our corporation is willing to do and what it's not willing to do - paid sabbatical is not something in its repertoire. And "more money" is something I know isn't going to get corporate approval - as it is, I'm pretty sure the management is very fair in how it doles out bonuses. I can't ask for more responsibilities as I'm pretty maxed out, and I don't want a title change.

So how does one answer that question? It's a nice position to be in but "Nah, I'm good." or "I dunno." seems like a dumb answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 09:55 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Show appreciation for your wonderful job.!

Old 07-02-2019, 11:42 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Interestingly, I had a conversation with my manager today.

He's pretty involved with what we all do, so he's always there with us when operations are happening. I suppose that's a good thing compared to the previous manager who was lazy and spent most of his time on his cell phone than engaging with us.

Anyhow, outside of that, I don't speak to him often (no one on one's, etc.). I guess he sensed I wasn't happy and perhaps I was looking for another job (I was), but he gives me the spiel about wanting to keep me happy, what I wanted to do, what could he do to keep me engaged and not look elsewhere for a job. So I told him the truth in a nice way of course. I told him I wanted to do other things, more projects, work with other departments, etc. So he was receptive to that.

If you are truly happy with what you are doing and the job overall (coworkers, environment, etc.), then it's as simple as telling the boss you like how things are and to maintain that. If you are not happy like I am, then you tell him what you want to do to make things better.

But you also have to respect your manager/boss and know that he is sincere about what he says. Some will say things to blow smoke up your rear end, and have zero intentions of doing anything to improve your work life.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:43 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Show appreciation for your wonderful job.!
This and don’t give an impression that you may leave. Obviously, you have great flexibility in your work and love what you do. That is why you’re productive and recognized by your boss. Some people who work remote struggle to demonstrate that they are actually productive doing so. You don’t seem to have a problem on that. Whatever you ask, I wouldn’t ask something that goes against company policy as that is difficult to implement. Since at times it could be boring, you can come up other tasks that you can help your organization? Training or conference opportunities? That could add value to you and your organization and makes working there even more interesting. You are one of the lucky ones.

Old 07-03-2019, 03:00 AM

1,058 posts, read 675,615 times
I'm glad you review went well. What exactly do you do? I agree with just telling your boss that you are satisfied where you right now and thank him for asking/

Old 07-03-2019, 03:49 AM

1,112 posts, read 883,343 times
Said no boss ever.......

Old 07-03-2019, 06:51 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Said no boss ever.......
We don't ask people what will make them happy, but we routinely ask people how we can make their job/work situation better/easier/whatever you want to call it. Sometimes we can help, some times we can't.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mae Maes Garden View Post
Said no boss ever.......
I say it all the time.

Not just review time.

How are you? How is your family?
Is there anything I can help with?
Are things going smoothly here?
Any thoughts on what can be improved?

Old 07-03-2019, 06:58 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I say it all the time.

Not just review time.

How are you? How is your family?
Is there anything I can help with?
Are things going smoothly here?
Any thoughts on what can be improved?
Yup.

Certainly not all bosses say this, but some do.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:19 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I had my review today. My boss was very complimentary and emphasized my importance to the team. Then he asks me (as he does at every review) what he can do to keep me happy in my work. TBH, I love my job. I make 6 figures, work from home, and can ditch out to take care of my father or run an errand any time I need to. I take a lunchtime nap almost every day. I work with a GREAT team of people I genuinely like and look forward to talking to, and I adore my boss. My job can be a bit boring with occasional highly stressful moments, but it had a lot of variety and I'm finding it pretty doable after more than a decade. I told my boss all of this.

My friend was like "Ask for flex time or a paid sabbatical" but I already really have flex time and can't seem to use up the more than 30 days of vacation I already have. And I know what our corporation is willing to do and what it's not willing to do - paid sabbatical is not something in its repertoire. And "more money" is something I know isn't going to get corporate approval - as it is, I'm pretty sure the management is very fair in how it doles out bonuses. I can't ask for more responsibilities as I'm pretty maxed out, and I don't want a title change.

So how does one answer that question? It's a nice position to be in but "Nah, I'm good." or "I dunno." seems like a dumb answer.
No need to make it any more than what it is - his sincerity to support you. If you have everything you need - I'd make sure he understands that. And also show your appreciation by recognizing it.

If I may editorialize - I think we often look for reasons when things aren't going well. But not the other way around. The fact that you are enjoying yourself at work is great - but a lot of that is very likely because of your manager. So make sure they know that. The opposite is also true - as a manager, if things are all running smoothly, it's very likely because your staff is doing a great job. Thus, also make sure they know that. And not just at review time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment