Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 03:55 PM

86 posts, read 84,116 times

Advertisements

I've found this to be true. People are now (with the internet) able to apply global for jobs but many organizations very unwilling to hire people from out of state!

I have no house to sell or apartment to get out of. I am paying my own relocation and can start within weeks. I have a lot of experience...still I get "crickets" or a call with "we have lots of jobs" from their recruiters just to poof...disappear.

I thought maybe it was just my age. But my nephew who is 24 has the same problem

Where there are jobs in our fields, we maybe get calls from out of state and some phone interviews but it stops there. Unfortunately we live in a very expensive area so we (our family and my nephew) are interested in relocating. Moving here was just a stop over to stay with relatives.

We've been priced out of so many cities and want to start over in a smaller, less crowded area. We're willing to be flexible but employers seem so reluctant now to hire out of staters. It never was like this before--I've had job calls from various cities with offers.

I'd love to hear what you all think/post your experiences.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2018, 08:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have received applications from people out of state, and even within but 5 hours away (by car). Several were offered interviews, scheduled but never showed up, and didn't call to cancel. In our expensive area some applicants may research the cost of housing and decide against it. They may also decide it's not worth the cost of coming for an interview for a $60-70k job. We only pay for interview transportation costs at the senior executive level. I have done long range phone or video interviews but would never hire without following up face-to-face. In every case someone local has stood out as a better candidate than those interviewed by phone or Skype. That may be changing soon, however, with the recent decline in applicants. For my most recent hire there were only 18 applicants, of those only 4 met the minimum requirements. Just 4 years ago for the same position there were nearly 40, most met the requirements and it was hard to choose between the top 4.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:09 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Executive compensation is at a ridiculous record high because they refuse to staff their companies accordingly even for in state applicants. Many companies aren’t even hiring the local pool candidates never mind out of state candidates. If you’re from outside the state your chances of being hired are even lower now unless it’s for a high level position. They refuse to invest in their workforce but have no problem throwing money away on useless crap for the company or another pointless layer of management that isn’t needed. If you’re a worker good luck

I’ve seen 3-4 workers and a few HR reps laid off then the next day the company goes and spends 10s of thousands of dollars blowing up safety signs for their facilities

Old 10-17-2018, 09:41 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I wasn't in the workforce twenty years ago.

With that said, I live in an isolated area. The closest part of our metro is a little over an hour from another metro, which is basically a tourist area without a lot of solid white collar work. The nearest decent sized metro with a decent supply of white collar jobs is an hour and a half to two hours away, depending on where you're starting from and going to.

I get plenty of callbacks for jobs in Nashville, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. The problem is it progressing beyond an initial interview. Most companies will not do video/Skype interviews, and demand an onsite interview after the initial phone screen. With me being so far away, that's a day's PTO for me. Often they want you to come in on short notice (less than a week), making it difficult to even schedule the PTO. I'm also not going to drive the five hours/300 miles to Nashville, at my own expense, for an interview if I don't know the salary and possibly something about the benefits/working conditions.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:13 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I wasn't in the workforce twenty years ago.

With that said, I live in an isolated area. The closest part of our metro is a little over an hour from another metro, which is basically a tourist area without a lot of solid white collar work. The nearest decent sized metro with a decent supply of white collar jobs is an hour and a half to two hours away, depending on where you're starting from and going to.

I get plenty of callbacks for jobs in Nashville, Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. The problem is it progressing beyond an initial interview. Most companies will not do video/Skype interviews, and demand an onsite interview after the initial phone screen. With me being so far away, that's a day's PTO for me. Often they want you to come in on short notice (less than a week), making it difficult to even schedule the PTO. I'm also not going to drive the five hours/300 miles to Nashville, at my own expense, for an interview if I don't know the salary and possibly something about the benefits/working conditions.
You would think since the employers are complaining so much, about how they can’t find anyone to hire, they would ease up some and try to accomodate out of location candidates in the initial phases of the interviewing process, by offering those first interviews be done over Skype.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:26 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
You would think since the employers are complaining so much, about how they can’t find anyone to hire, they would ease up some and try to accomodate out of location candidates in the initial phases of the interviewing process, by offering those first interviews be done over Skype.
Most of the places I've interviewed at have seemed to be extremely stodgy and stuck in the past.

I had a first interview with an HR rep for a Nissan supplier based out of Nashville last Friday. A second interview with the hiring manager, that HR rep, and someone else happened Monday at noon. They said they'd be "back in touch in a few days" with next steps.

I emailed the HR person back yesterday asking if he had a salary range. I told him what I needed Friday. He said he'd get back to me. Crickets.

There's no way I'm driving all the way to Nashville and burning a vacation day on the off-chance this might be a decent job. For me, an interview in a town 200-300 miles away needs to be done on a Friday.

One of the first questions I get asked is "why do you want to live in ...?" I need a broader job market with more than one or two local options. I just use that as the excuse. I moved back here, and at the time, it was the best thing I could do on the notice I had, but I need to be in a bigger market to be safer.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:34 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Executive compensation is at a ridiculous record high because they refuse to staff their companies accordingly even for in state applicants. Many companies aren’t even hiring the local pool candidates never mind out of state candidates. If you’re from outside the state your chances of being hired are even lower now unless it’s for a high level position. They refuse to invest in their workforce but have no problem throwing money away on useless crap for the company or another pointless layer of management that isn’t needed. If you’re a worker good luck

I’ve seen 3-4 workers and a few HR reps laid off then the next day the company goes and spends 10s of thousands of dollars blowing up safety signs for their facilities
Can you please try to keep your whining relevant to the thread?

Old 10-17-2018, 02:12 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSkysGuy View Post
Do you guys think employers are less willing to hire people from out of state than 20 years ago?
Yes. There are about 500 other threads here that explore the issues.
You should look for some of them.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:15 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

Unless a very small company, very different, completely separate budgets that have nothing to do with each other. If you're trying to associate the two, they likely each resulted from a decision from two different people who have no communication with one another.

Old 10-17-2018, 02:17 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One of the first questions I get asked is "why do you want to live in ...?" I need a broader job market with more than one or two local options. I just use that as the excuse. I moved back here, and at the time, it was the best thing I could do on the notice I had, but I need to be in a bigger market to be safer.
"I do what it takes to grow"

Next question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment