U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 02:32 PM

604 posts, read 702,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
I hope one day you will build a passive income so you could move to the place you want
Thanks. :-) I haven't given up on it yet; this new job involves a fair amount of travel but I can be based anywhere. I think the move will happen once I get settled into the work. I do have a small passive income stream (patent royalty) but I just sock that away for later.

Sounds like you put in a lot of work and thought and it paid off, congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 02:51 PM

12,457 posts, read 7,092,891 times
It is irresponsible and dumb to quit a job before getting a new one, but good luck on your job search.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:26 PM

2,255 posts, read 670,171 times
It's a catch-22. You leave one stressful job in a hurry.

Then you have to hurry yourself into a potential minefield of a new job which could be even more stressful because the bill collectors are calling.

The only way to stop the cycle is to endure the hellfire for as long as possible and never leave a good job unless you're ready to risk your sanity.

Old 06-28-2019, 03:32 PM

2,255 posts, read 670,171 times
Quote:
This is the exact reason having a side hustle or having financial freedom is more important than ever...

Here is my story :

I was at a job, not stressful but boring as hell, doing the exact same task over and over again, seeing the same faces, same desk... I know many people are happy with that kind of job but to me is torture... I just wanted to quit but had bills to pay and a family to feed...

This feeling of being stuck was a torture so i created a side hustle, something that once engaged, it will not require more than 1 hour per day to generate a living wage...

So my sole focus was building that income. I would wake up at 3 am to work on that income then when it was time to go to work, I will do my daily task as fast as I can so I can spend the rest of the day working on my side hustle at work... I would usually do all my work within 2 hours and spend the rest of the day working on my side hustle...

As time went by, my side hustle was generating money but my work quality was getting really bad but I did not care anymore because I had a goal.

One day the team leader told me that I will be moved to another department because I was making way too many mistakes... Well, guess what, my side hustle was generating more than enough money so I was able to say "F@ck you to my boss" (FIRE YOUR BOSS), I just left and never came back... They kept asking me to come to work but I just put their email in my spam list...

My last day of work was Thursday October 18 2018 at 35 years old.

Now I am happy, I am not bored because my occupation only take me less than an hour per day and earn me way more than my former boss... I am now free ... Will be moving within a year to a warmer place.

Oh, one sign that told me it was a good decision was that every wonderful things that happened to me was on Thursday...

I got married on a Thursday, my first son was born on a Thursday, my second son, we left the hospital on a Thursday, I met my wife on a Thursday (and many more strangely great thing happened to me on a Thursday).

I basically learned to make money while I sleep.

I hope it inspire you
Give me your address in Pakistan my brother, I have a very, very, VERY large bridge to sell you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Why do I have a feeling you're about to try and sell me some Mary Kay Cosmetics?
Fixed

Old 06-28-2019, 06:33 PM

2,546 posts, read 756,167 times
Congratulations, you jumped from the frying pan into the fire.

Employers discriminate against people who are out of work. On top of that, what are you going to tell people for the reason you left? You quit? Now you're ranked below the laid off.

Next time you're going to quit, make sure you search for a job. Employers LOVE passive candidates who already have a job. They think you're a better risk.

Don't ever quit a job without having another job lined up except if 1) your life is in danger or 2) your clean criminal record is at risk.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:37 PM

920 posts, read 355,059 times
I did it about 3 years ago. Left what an investigator called "the most toxic workplace I've ever seen". There was a final straw, and I was done, I e-mailed and was told by a sympathetic office manager that I didn't need to give notice, just come get my stuff. Which I happily did. I worked in a fairly specialized field, too. Two weeks later I landed the perfect gig for me in the same industry, and I've been there ever since. I realize I was extremely lucky with the timing.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:44 PM

389 posts, read 216,593 times
Wow the amount of negativity in some of these responses.

I've started my job search recently and maybe it's because I live in a big city, or maybe because the job markets is really good right now, or both.. but in the last week alone I have 8 interviews lined up so far. Like I said, nothing is guaranteed but I'm hopeful.
Sometimes, the stress of a job isn't worth it.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:40 AM

3,417 posts, read 3,596,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Wow the amount of negativity in some of these responses.

I've started my job search recently and maybe it's because I live in a big city, or maybe because the job markets is really good right now, or both.. but in the last week alone I have 8 interviews lined up so far. Like I said, nothing is guaranteed but I'm hopeful.
Sometimes, the stress of a job isn't worth it.
Congrats on taking control of your situation. Most of the backlash you are getting is most likely coming from people who have no emergency savings or back up cash in place. When you are living paycheck to paycheck and in debt it is hard to even fathom leaving a job without another lined up.

I commend you for not allowing fear keep you in a bad work environment. We need more people like you.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:37 AM

11,305 posts, read 8,739,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Congrats on taking control of your situation. Most of the backlash you are getting is most likely coming from people who have no emergency savings or back up cash in place. When you are living paycheck to paycheck and in debt it is hard to even fathom leaving a job without another lined up.

I commend you for not allowing fear keep you in a bad work environment. We need more people like you.
No. It's just that there are better uses for reserved cash. Save it until there is a real emergency. I actually did quit a job once and burned through a ton of money that I would rather have today.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:41 AM

744 posts, read 278,005 times
Quote:
This is the exact reason having a side hustle or having financial freedom is more important than ever...

Here is my story :

I was at a job, not stressful but boring as hell, doing the exact same task over and over again, seeing the same faces, same desk... I know many people are happy with that kind of job but to me is torture... I just wanted to quit but had bills to pay and a family to feed...

This feeling of being stuck was a torture so i created a side hustle, something that once engaged, it will not require more than 1 hour per day to generate a living wage...

So my sole focus was building that income. I would wake up at 3 am to work on that income then when it was time to go to work, I will do my daily task as fast as I can so I can spend the rest of the day working on my side hustle at work... I would usually do all my work within 2 hours and spend the rest of the day working on my side hustle...

As time went by, my side hustle was generating money but my work quality was getting really bad but I did not care anymore because I had a goal.

One day the team leader told me that I will be moved to another department because I was making way too many mistakes... Well, guess what, my side hustle was generating more than enough money so I was able to say "F@ck you to my boss" (FIRE YOUR BOSS), I just left and never came back... They kept asking me to come to work but I just put their email in my spam list...

My last day of work was Thursday October 18 2018 at 35 years old.

Now I am happy, I am not bored because my occupation only take me less than an hour per day and earn me way more than my former boss... I am now free ... Will be moving within a year to a warmer place.

Oh, one sign that told me it was a good decision was that every wonderful things that happened to me was on Thursday...

I got married on a Thursday, my first son was born on a Thursday, my second son, we left the hospital on a Thursday, I met my wife on a Thursday (and many more strangely great thing happened to me on a Thursday).

I basically learned to make money while I sleep.

I hope it inspire you
Sounds like My Little Monkey. Haha. I don't think many people are inspired by this story. They are not stupid to know this is like an ad for MLM without saying "I can teach your how. Please send me a message."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or