Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 08:50 PM

403 posts, read 363,500 times

Advertisements

I handed in my resignation last week. I don't have another job lined up but.. it was just too stressful. I had a crazy manager that I couldn't handle anymore and said f*ck it, and gave my resignation, along with my reasons why (her). I'm finishing up my last weeks at the job and also job searching as well. Now I'm stressed because I don't have something lined up but I'm hopeful.. I have a few interviews on the way, but of course nothing is guaranteed.
It feels liberating but at the same time, I'm thinking wtf did I just do -_-

Anyone have done something similar? How did it turn out for you?
Give me some hope.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 09:38 PM

607 posts, read 977,752 times
Stop being weak and get a new job beforing leaving next time.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:32 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
I handed in my resignation last week. I don't have another job lined up but.. it was just too stressful. I had a crazy manager that I couldn't handle anymore and said f*ck it, and gave my resignation, along with my reasons why (her). I'm finishing up my last weeks at the job and also job searching as well. Now I'm stressed because I don't have something lined up but I'm hopeful.. I have a few interviews on the way, but of course nothing is guaranteed.

Give me some hope.
Now you can tell us: which stress was worse; the job you couldn't stand or not having any job? Looking before leaping is such a good idea. Hope you find something. Just don't take something out of desperation or you may well land in exactly the same situation.

Old 06-28-2019, 04:09 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
No matter how often people are advised NOT to quit a job before having another lined up and in hand, some people just can't fight the urge to do just that.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:02 AM

27 posts, read 22,342 times
A bad job where one is in an abusive situation is sometimes so mind consuming that we "have to" stop working there before we find another job. But one needs the maturity to have savings and be able to land on one's feet financially. Go to a temporary employment agency on your first workday off this old job and sign up for temp work. Maybe have to go to several temp agencies. Or do Uber or Lyft. Generate some income, polish up your resume. Figure out a good answer for those interviews where you are asked why did you quit? Or maybe don't tell the new employer you have given notice until you are for real gone. Do not talk bad about your current employer, figure out something to say that does not make you sound like a "quitter" or whiner. I quit a job because of a bad boss whose own boss could not make her stop forcing us to work against company policy. I had to quit because my No did not mean squat to someone demanding I do things that the head boss said I should not do as they broke company policy. My spouse begged me to quit due to some of the bad things going on. I had been applying for other jobs for about 6 months and nothing panned out and it just got so abusive that I had to give notice.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:35 AM

858 posts, read 680,223 times

Old 06-28-2019, 09:40 AM

604 posts, read 856,006 times
Quote:

Give me some hope.
I'm just finishing navigating this right now. I was invited to interview for a job in another state that I really wanted and I had to quit my previous position because there was a conflict between it and the potential new job. So after being invited to interview I didn't get the job! It was a calculated risk, and I don't regret taking it, but not getting this other job was definitely annoying.

After a 4 month vacation (by choice) I've taken a position with a consulting firm doing essentially the same thing I did before at the same pay, which is fine I guess. I'm still stuck living in a place I hate so that's really the only downside of all of this.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:16 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Quote:

Give me some hope.
This is the exact reason having a side hustle or having financial freedom is more important than ever...

Here is my story :

I was at a job, not stressful but boring as hell, doing the exact same task over and over again, seeing the same faces, same desk... I know many people are happy with that kind of job but to me is torture... I just wanted to quit but had bills to pay and a family to feed...

This feeling of being stuck was a torture so i created a side hustle, something that once engaged, it will not require more than 1 hour per day to generate a living wage...

So my sole focus was building that income. I would wake up at 3 am to work on that income then when it was time to go to work, I will do my daily task as fast as I can so I can spend the rest of the day working on my side hustle at work... I would usually do all my work within 2 hours and spend the rest of the day working on my side hustle...

As time went by, my side hustle was generating money but my work quality was getting really bad but I did not care anymore because I had a goal.

One day the team leader told me that I will be moved to another department because I was making way too many mistakes... Well, guess what, my side hustle was generating more than enough money so I was able to say "F@ck you to my boss" (FIRE YOUR BOSS), I just left and never came back... They kept asking me to come to work but I just put their email in my spam list...

My last day of work was Thursday October 18 2018 at 35 years old.

Now I am happy, I am not bored because my occupation only take me less than an hour per day and earn me way more than my former boss... I am now free ... Will be moving within a year to a warmer place.

Oh, one sign that told me it was a good decision was that every wonderful things that happened to me was on Thursday...

I got married on a Thursday, my first son was born on a Thursday, my second son, we left the hospital on a Thursday, I met my wife on a Thursday (and many more strangely great thing happened to me on a Thursday).

I basically learned to make money while I sleep.

I hope it inspire you

Old 06-28-2019, 11:19 AM

832 posts, read 1,254,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
I'm just finishing navigating this right now. I was invited to interview for a job in another state that I really wanted and I had to quit my previous position because there was a conflict between it and the potential new job. So after being invited to interview I didn't get the job! It was a calculated risk, and I don't regret taking it, but not getting this other job was definitely annoying.

After a 4 month vacation (by choice) I've taken a position with a consulting firm doing essentially the same thing I did before at the same pay, which is fine I guess. I'm still stuck living in a place I hate so that's really the only downside of all of this.
I hope one day you will build a passive income so you could move to the place you want

Old 06-28-2019, 01:52 PM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
This is the exact reason having a side hustle or having financial freedom is more important than ever...

Here is my story :

I was at a job, not stressful but boring as hell, doing the exact same task over and over again, seeing the same faces, same desk... I know many people are happy with that kind of job but to me is torture... I just wanted to quit but had bills to pay and a family to feed...

This feeling of being stuck was a torture so i created a side hustle, something that once engaged, it will not require more than 1 hour per day to generate a living wage...

So my sole focus was building that income. I would wake up at 3 am to work on that income then when it was time to go to work, I will do my daily task as fast as I can so I can spend the rest of the day working on my side hustle at work... I would usually do all my work within 2 hours and spend the rest of the day working on my side hustle...

As time went by, my side hustle was generating money but my work quality was getting really bad but I did not care anymore because I had a goal.

One day the team leader told me that I will be moved to another department because I was making way too many mistakes... Well, guess what, my side hustle was generating more than enough money so I was able to say "F@ck you to my boss" (FIRE YOUR BOSS), I just left and never came back... They kept asking me to come to work but I just put their email in my spam list...

My last day of work was Thursday October 18 2018 at 35 years old.

Now I am happy, I am not bored because my occupation only take me less than an hour per day and earn me way more than my former boss... I am now free ... Will be moving within a year to a warmer place.

Oh, one sign that told me it was a good decision was that every wonderful things that happened to me was on Thursday...

I got married on a Thursday, my first son was born on a Thursday, my second son, we left the hospital on a Thursday, I met my wife on a Thursday (and many more strangely great thing happened to me on a Thursday).

I basically learned to make money while I sleep.

I hope it inspire you
Why do I have a feeling you're about to try and sell me some Amway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment