U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2019, 07:56 PM
 
Location: on the wind
7,072 posts, read 2,899,892 times
Reputation: 23934

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
Wasn’t it proven that too much computer/mobile phone time makes you more socially awkward. Sth to do with dopamine.
I'm sure it contributes to it. However, there are also many ways to combat those effects. If they really want to, just about anyone has the ability to get up and move, take more effective breaks, use standing or walking workstations, split tasks into team approaches, modify equipment and office spaces, request accommodations. The field of work ergonomics is big business. No one makes you a victim unless you permit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2019, 08:08 PM
 
1,410 posts, read 794,770 times
Reputation: 2247
Writer. Use a typewriter. First you have to get famous though, in order for it to be well-paying. But think of all that off-screen time you'll have getting famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2019, 11:19 PM
 
3,748 posts, read 1,363,656 times
Reputation: 1572
I prefer to be in front of a computer most of the day and been doing it for 20 years Jobs that pay well that don't involve someone sitting in front of a computer all day are jobs in the medical field or working outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 12:40 AM
 
408 posts, read 144,071 times
Reputation: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Depends on what you consider a screen... Monitors and instruments count as screens to me too.

They might not be at a computer but they are checking on a screen every free minutes

Same as a plane pilot, no computer keyboard but the instruments have screens for gauges and everything else a plane does.
No one gets addicted to staring at those screens. Yet, the world is filled with Internet/computer/mobile phone addicts.

I think most managers rarely sit in front of a computer really. I work as a data entry clerk an the look at the French managers that came to visit us was telling "So glad we don't work this!". They let the slaves do the work and big corporations especially feel like slave houses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'm sure it contributes to it. However, there are also many ways to combat those effects. If they really want to, just about anyone has the ability to get up and move, take more effective breaks, use standing or walking workstations, split tasks into team approaches, modify equipment and office spaces, request accommodations. The field of work ergonomics is big business. No one makes you a victim unless you permit it.
Except when I do that always there's someone that complains "he's not working at all". We also don't have any standing/walking workstations and accommodations. It's a French company based in Eastern Europe where they pay peanuts. They don't care about their slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 08:10 AM
 
Location: NYC
12,886 posts, read 8,725,709 times
Reputation: 14135
Project Management jobs are all about meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 08:41 PM
 
3,748 posts, read 1,363,656 times
Reputation: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthy_ View Post
No one gets addicted to staring at those screens. Yet, the world is filled with Internet/computer/mobile phone addicts.

I think most managers rarely sit in front of a computer really. I work as a data entry clerk an the look at the French managers that came to visit us was telling "So glad we don't work this!". They let the slaves do the work and big corporations especially feel like slave houses.

Except when I do that always there's someone that complains "he's not working at all". We also don't have any standing/walking workstations and accommodations. It's a French company based in Eastern Europe where they pay peanuts. They don't care about their slaves.
Im in front of a computer all day on sunday when Im home chatting on CD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,929 posts, read 8,390,690 times
Reputation: 15495
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Im in front of a computer all day on sunday when Im home chatting on CD
Off topic, but did your new job start? Hope so, and hope itís going ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 08:53 PM
 
3,748 posts, read 1,363,656 times
Reputation: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Off topic, but did your new job start? Hope so, and hope itís going ok.

I received a conditional offer for the state job today by email which shocked me since today was the day after July 4th. I figured they would all be on vacation until monday not working July 4th weekend. I started a new job this past monday and go to the new employee orientation on Monday. So whenever the background check is completed for the state job I will inform the current job that I will be leaving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Western Washington
8,929 posts, read 8,390,690 times
Reputation: 15495
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I received a conditional offer for the state job today by email which shocked me since today was the day after July 4th. I figured they would all be on vacation until monday not working July 4th weekend. I started a new job this past monday and go to the new employee orientation on Monday. So whenever the background check is completed for the state job I will inform the current job that I will be leaving.
Congrats. Itís nice to land two jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-05-2019, 09:54 PM
 
3,748 posts, read 1,363,656 times
Reputation: 1572
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Congrats. Itís nice to land two jobs.
I'm not complaining but It's surprising that I received a higher salary offer from the state job than the salary that was listed on the job description. It was about a $1000 more a year when my paystubs already confirmed I made $11,000 less than the first listed salary. lol I am not complaining just confused and grateful at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top